SoCal Best Available 2014
April 17, 2014By Leroy White of West Coast Hoops
Fullcourt Press SoCal Best Available: 2014
By Dinos Trigonis
(April 16, 2014)
As the only NCAA D-I Spring live period is rapidly approaching (April 25-27), most of SoCal’s top seniors (2014 class) are off the board and very few quality available prospects remain. However, the available pool of prospects have seen a boost recently when a few HM players either were released from their LOIs or retracted their verbal commitments. Having seen several games and tourneys during the 2013-14 season as well as hosting the recent Fullcourt Press Senior Showcase (held on Friday March 21st at Lynwood High School/CA), I am listing below in this report the top available SoCal 2014 prospects along with two players of note from Arizona.
* Terrell Carter 6’8” Redondo Union (Redondo Beach CA)
Very physical and strong PF (265 lbs) that takes up much space in the paint. Improved shooting touch and agility (lost 30 lbs over past year) makes him a valuable spring recruit. Averaged 13.7 points, 9.7 boards and 3.2 blocks this past season. Tulane (visited), Utah State (will visit), Fresno State (will visit), San Jose State and Dayton showing interest for this national Top 150-caliber prospect.
* Devenir Duruisseau 6’8” Sylmar (Sylmar CA)
LA-City CIF Division II Player of the Year had a statement senior season – averaging 18.6 points and 10.8 rebounds per games including huge efforts of 30/11 vs. Sierra Canyon, 31/11 vs San Fernando and 36/16 against Kennedy. Active interior scorer is an excellent rebounder as well. Recently he verbally committed to San Jose State but has indicated since then that he is open to other overtures. Top national 150 caliber prospect will play with Belmont Shore at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Idrissa Diallo 6’10” Cathedral (Los Angeles CA)
Fall Cal commit has re-opened his recruitment after Mike Montgomery retired and has quickly been the recipient of substantial recruiting interest from the likes of Oregon, Georgetown, Indiana, Florida, Miami FL, USC and New Mexico. Center with a HM physique averaged 10.6 points and 8.6 boards as a senior.
* Stanley Roberts 6’8” Peninsula (Palos Verdes CA)
Son of former LSU and NBA player Stanley Roberts Sr. is a wide-bodied post player that is deceptively athletic on the block and has a nice face-up jump shot that extends to 17 feet as well. Had an impressive outing of 22 points/12 boards vs. Garden Serra this season. Would be a very good redshirt candidate: is very young for a HS senior (currently 17 and will turn 18 next October). Is considering spending a post-grad year at a prep school next Fall. Will play with Branch West Elite at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Elias Chuha 6’8” East Valley (Redlands CA)
Skilled and active post is largely unknown but his talents will attract plenty of D-I attention this spring. Chuha is strongly considering a post-grad year and if that happens, he will be a legit MM+ caliber recruit. Will play with Inland at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Williams Brooks 6’11” Rancho Dominguez Prep (Long Beach CA)
Very long and slim C is a rapidly improving shotblocker and rebounder with terrific upside. Averaged 16.1 points, 11.8 boards and 5.5 blocks as a senior. Will play with Compton Magic Red at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Jerome Bryant 6’7” Cathedral (Los Angeles CA)
Strong PF is active on the glass and can score on the block. MM caliber talent averaged 10.9 points and 5.9 boards as a senior. Jerome will play with Compton Magic Black at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Mario Soto 6’7” Saddleback Valley Christian (SJ Capistrano CA)
Stretch “4” man plays hard and with a purpose. Spent first three HS years at Mater Dei (Santa Ana CA) but decided to transfer just prior to the start of this past season for personal reasons. Mario was then subsequently ruled ineligible by the CIF and did not play his entire senior season. LM prospect.
* Josh Rideau 6’7” Westchester (Los Angeles CA)
Agile forward is a tenacious defender and dependable rebounder.
* Derrien King 6’7” Middlebrooks Academy (Los Angeles CA)
Active PF plays with energy and can finish in transition. Will play with Compton Magic Black at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Austin Smith 6'7" Calabasas (Calabasas CA)
Face-up post with nice mid-range jump shot. Will play with Branch West Elite at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Elijah Stewart 6’5” Westchester (Los Angeles CA)
Stewart was one of the top revelations of the past HS season – emerging as a legit Top 50-75 national prospect. Once a mystery fall period signee for Loyola Marymount (credit the veteran eye of former LMU assistant Tommie Abatemarco), Stewart has asked for, and received, his release from LMU and that has opened up the HM flood gates with USC, Texas, Oklahoma State, Cincinnati, North Carolina and Virginia (among many others) showing great interest.
* Bear Henderson 6’4” Village Christian (Sun Valley CA)
Strong and athletic WG formed a dynamic 1-2 combo with top junior prospect Bennie Boatwright this season and led the Crusaders to a 27-5 record and a CIF IV-A title. Henderson can finish through contact as well as drain long-range jump shots. Excellent defender also averaged 18.8 points and 6.5 rebounds per game including fine performances versus Mater Dei (21 points), Sylmar (25 points) and Campbell Hall (25 points). Top 150-caliber prospect will play with Belmont Shore at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Reverend Maduakor 6’4” Narbonne (Carson CA)
Slithering swingman reminds me a lot of former Nevada star/NBA player Kirk Snyder. Wired to score both off the dribble and from long-distance, “Rev” averaged 15.0 points and 7.5 boards per game this season. Will play with Compton Magic Red at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Derrick Bruce 6’3” Colony (Ontario CA)
Very improved wing is just coming off an impressive performance last weekend at Hooked on Hoops Shootout in Corona CA which has led to new interest from Arkansas, South Carolina and Cincinnati. Scheduled to go to Elevate Academy Prep (FL) next school year. Will play with Inland at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Iziahiah Sweeney 6’3” Compton (Compton CA)
Very athletic wing guard is a quick, slashing scorer as well as a potentially lock-down defender. Full qualifier is hearing from Washington State, San Francisco and Rhode Island.
* Derek Newton 6’5” Harvard-Westlake (North Hollywood CA)
Strong wing forward has ability to knock down perimeter shots. Averaged 19.7 points and 6.6 rebs per game this past season.
* Julian Richardson 6’3” El Camino Real (Woodland Hills CA
Son of former UCLA star/NBA star Pooh Richardson has excellent 3-point range.
* Antonio Singleton 6’4” Cabrillo (Long Beach CA)
Strong wing is a very good defender when engaged and possesses a legitimate 3-point stroke.
* Donte Caldwell 6’5” St. Anthony (Long Beach CA)
Very athletic wing player is a qualifier and definite sleeper in this class. Will play with Compton Magic Red at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Gary Chivichyan 6’4” Alemany (Mission Hills CA)
One of 2014’s top shooters, Gary has impressive long distance range.
* Blake McBride 6’5” JSerra (San Juan Capistrano CA)
Active WF runs floor well and can finish in transition.
* Christian Berry 6’3” West Ranch (Stevenson Ranch CA)
Slashing scorer is also a solid defender.
* Devin Watson 5’11” El Camino (Oceanside CA)
One-time Oregon State commit had a very nice senior season – averaged 24 points and 7 assists per game. Many feel that he will end up at Loyola Marymount (where his HS coach Ray Johnson was hired as an assistant by Mike Dunlap) but Devin claims he is open to all options and has additional interest from the likes of St. Mary’s (CA), Texas A&M and Washington State.
* Joey Covarrubias 6’2” Cantwell (Montebello CA)
Heady and sharpshooting lead guard might be the most overlooked 2014 player in California. Bona-fide winner led his Cantwell squad to 23-9 record including impressive efforts of 21 points/6 assists in Rose City tourney title game win over UCLA-bound Lonzo Ball and Chino Hills, 26 points in 73-29 win over Top 50 junior guard Marcus LoVett and San Gabriel Valley Academy and 23 points/6 dimes against CA D-I state runner-up Corona Centennial and SMU-bound PG Sedrick Barefield. JC is also a very underrated defender – drew the defensive assignment of McDonald’s American Stanley Johnson in Cantwell’s tough OT play-off loss. Will play with Belmont Shore at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Victor Joseph 5’11” Rancho Cucamonga (Rancho Cucamonga CA)
Ultra-quick point can really put points on the board (averaged 18 points and 8 assists per game this past season. Will play with Compton Magic Red at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Jackie Davis 6’3” Rolling Hills Prep (Palos Verdes CA)
Athletic guard has the explosiveness to get to the cup and the physical tools to be a lock-down defender. Davis had an excellent senior season – averaging 23.6 points, 5.4 rebs and 3.6 assists per game and is attracting HM interest from schools such as Penn State (offer) and Texas A&M.
* Uchenna Okeneme 6’0” Narbonne (Harbor City CA)
Quick and explosive PG helped lead Narbonne to LA City CIF Final 4. Excellent student (3.5 GPA) averaged 13.6 points and 3.9 assists this past season.
* Ian Fox 6’0” Redondo Union (Redondo Beach CA
Savvy playmaker with a dangerous 3-point stroke led Redondo to a CA D-II state title as a junior. Good student is a crafty scorer off the bounce and quicker than most realize. Had an impressive outing of 29 points/4 assists vs Westchester in semi-finals of Pac Shores tourney in December. Idaho State (offer) among schools showing interest.
* Ethan Alvano 6’1” Corona (Corona CA)
Alvano had a big senior season – averaging 23.2 points and 5.8 assists per game which has resulted in D-I interest from the likes of Eastern Michigan (offer). Will play with Compton Magic Red at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Ajon Efferson 5’11” Pasadena (Pasadena CA)
High-scoring point guard is hard to contain in the open court and has excellent court vision. Ajon averaged 24 points and 6 assists per game this year and is hearing from Loyola Marymount, Cal State Northridge and Cal State Bakersfield. Will play with Prodigy Elite at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27 in Las Vegas NV).
* Brian Beard Jr. 5’10” Rancho Cucamonga (Rancho Cucamonga CA)
Arguably SoCal’s best on-ball senior defender also has plenty of scoring confidence from long-range. Will play with Prodigy Elite at Pangos Spring Spectacular (April 25-27in Las Vegas NV).
* Kameron Murrell 6’1” Poly (Long Beach CA)
Strong combo-guard has an excellent 3-point stroke. Kam averaged 14.1 points per game for the CIF Division I-AA champs this past season.
* Kevin Miller 6’1” Lynwood (Lynwood CA)
Underrated combo-guard averaged 17.7 points per game this year.
* DeShon Taylor 6’2” JW North (Riverside CA)
High-scoring guard put up big numbers this year: 24.2 points per game.
* Gino Littles 6’0” Desert Mountain (Scottsdale AZ
Below the radar point is athletic off the bounce.
* Tide Osifeso 5’9” Los Osos (Rancho Cucamonga CA)Speedy point is an accurate perimeter shooter.
* Deron Kyle 6’0” Deer Valley (Glendale AZ)
Athletic combo-guard is a very good defender.
Other SoCal Unsigned Seniors (2014) Worth Mentioning
* Issac Deese 5’9” Mayfair (Los Angeles CA)
* Anthony Ballestero 5’10” Canyon (Anaheim CA)
* Mark Thomas 5'11" Millikan (Long Beach CA)
* Maleke Haynes 5’11” El Camino Real (Woodland Hills CA)
* Jerry Anthony 6’0” Crenshaw (Los Angeles CA)
* Ali Sakr 6’0” Kennedy (Delano CA)
* Chris Martin 6’0” Price (Los Angeles CA)
* Keyon Johnson 6’1” Rancho Dominguez Prep (Long Beach CA)
* Dakoda Golden 6’1” Charter Oak (West Covina CA)
* Rashad Jackson 6’2” Garces (Bakersfield CA)
* Murshid Randle 6’2” Central (Fresno CA)
* Nicholas Brown 6’2” Pasadena (Pasadena CA)
* Billy Rowan 6’2” Victor Valley (Victorville CA)
* Max Tinsley 6’2” Chaminade (West Hills CA)
* Luis Medearis 6’2” View Park (Los Angeles CA)
* Mike Nwabuzor 6’2” Mayfair (Lakewood CA)
* Koh Flippin 6’3” North (Torrance CA)
* KC Cyprian 6’3” Chino Hills (Chino Hills CA)
* Gerardo Zavala 6’3” South Gate (South Gate CA)
* Brian Enriquez 6’3” La Mirada (La Mirada CA)
* Luke Selway 6’3” Villa Park (Villa Park CA)
* Mehran Nazarian 6’4” North (Torrance CA)
* Myles Stewart 6’4” Westchester (Los Angeles CA)
* Chris Ballew 6’4” Muir (Pasadena CA)
* Quincy Thomas 6’4” San Pedro (San Pedro CA)
* Adam Carter 6’4” La Mirada (La Mirada CA)
* Nick Hamilton 6'4" Westchester (Los Angeles CA)
* Khalid Washington 6’4” Los Alamitos (Los Alamitos CA)
* Leo Goodman 6’5” Roosevelt (Eastvale CA)
* Fritz Eibel 6’5” La Costa Canyon (Carlsbad CA)
* Bishop Mency 6’5” Chino Hills (Chino Hills CA)
* Dillon Reise 6’5” Mayfair (Lakewood CA)
* Ali Mohammed 6’6” Dorsey (Los Angeles CA)
* Keith Thomas 6’6” Serra (San Diego CA)
* Arinze Anakwenze 6’6” Muir (Pasadena CA)
* Darius Hamilton 6’6” Central (Fresno CA)
* Marsalis Johnson 6’6” Village Christian (Sun Valley CA)
* Spencer Vering 6’6” Mater Dei Catholic (Chula Vista CA
* Charles Rochelin 6'6" El Camino Real (Woodland Hills CA
* James Brown 6'7" Morningside (Inglewood CA)
* Fatai Eke 6’7” East (Bakersfield CA)
* Marcos Soto 6’7” Westlake (Westlake Village CA)
* Adam Turner 6’7” Roosevelt (Corona CA)
* Jason Carter 6’7” View Park (Los Angeles CA)
* Erik Reider 6’7” Mission Hills (San Diego CA)
* Dashawn Hill 6’7” Compton (Compton CA)
* Anthony Lefeau 6’7” Orange Lutheran (Orange CA)
* Blair Orr 6'8" El Camino Real (Woodland Hills CA)
* Alexis Dargenton 6’8” Middlebrooks Academy (Los Angeles CA
* Olisameka Nwachie 6’8” Fairfax (Los Angeles CA)
* Dylan Osetkowski 6’9” JSerra (San Juan Capistrano CA)
* Lamont Tyler 6’10” Villa Park (Villa Park CA)
This article also appears online at: http://www.fullctpress.net/fcp-best-available-2014.html