High School Sports
Friday night roundup
September 1, 2012Winners Choice Sports
Gary Posey amassed 405 rushing yards and scored four touchdowns as Floyd Central throttled visiting Madison 47-14 Friday night in high school football.
The Highlanders (2-2, 1-0 Hoosier Hills) dominated the Cubs on the ground with 536 rushing yards to Madison’s 137.
Evan Rue had two interceptions and a fumble recovery for Floyd Central, and Gage Klingsmith added two rushing TDs.
“We’ve struggled the last couple of weeks, but our kids fought back and played with lots of emotion,” coach Brian Glesing said. “It was a big win for us.”
• New Albany 42, Jennings County 13:Tuwan Payton racked up 113 yards on 11 carries, including touchdown runs of 7, 23 and 58 yards, as the visiting Bulldogs (2-1, 1-0 Hoosier Hills) ripped the Panthers (0-3, 0-1).
“(Payton) is the heartbeat of our team,” said coach Charlie Fields, whose team jumped to a 14-0 lead. “He’s the engine that sets everybody else up.”
Quarterback Michael Diehl threw for a TD and ran for another in the first quarter as New Albany rolled to a 28-7 halftime lead.
Tommy Taylor led Jennings County with 138 yards on 26 carries.
• Providence 28, Louisville Holy Cross 7: Matt Bell rushed for two touchdowns to lead the visiting Pioneers (3-1) past the Cougars (0-3).
Evan Perry scored Holy Cross’ TD on a 28-yard interception return just before halftime.
• Salem 21, North Harrison 0: Sophomore Jordan McNeely, making his first career start at quarterback, connected on 9 of 13 passes for two touchdowns and rushed for another TD for the visiting Lions (2-1, 2-0 Mid-Southern).
• Corydon 70, Silver Creek 27: The visiting Panthers (3-0, 2-0 Mid-Southern), No. 6 in Class 3-A, raced to a 42-0 lead early in the third quarter and coasted past the Dragons (0-3, 0-2). Chase Burton completed 13 of 17 passes for 352 yards and four touchdowns, and Cory Thomas made all 10 conversion kicks.
Silver Creek had four turnovers.
• Brownstown 47, Eastern Pekin 7: Hayden Stuckwisch scored on a 30-yard pass reception and a 20-yard interception return as the host Braves (2-1, 1-1 Mid-Southern) crushed the Musketeers (0-3, 0-1). Mitchell Scarlett added seven carries for 54 yards and a TD.
Jordan Eberle ran for 119 yards and a TD on 10 carries for Eastern Pekin.
• West Washington 38, Springs Valley 6: The visiting Senators (2-1, 1-0 Patoka Lake Athletic) piled up 373 yards and forced four turnovers to beat the Blackhawks (2-1, 1-1), who scored with 4:59 remaining.
Brenden Grimes converted five extra points and a 28-yard field goal.
• Paoli 73, Mitchell 0: Lee Wroblewski threw for 126 yards and five TDs and ran for 65 yards on five carries as the visiting Rams (3-0, 1-0 Patoka Lake Athletic) blanked the Bluejackets (0-3, 0-1).