New Year's Resolutions
January 9, 2013By Shelby Enlow of Thomas Nelson HS
What is a New Year's Resolution?
New Year Resolutions are commitments or promises that people make to themselves. These could be promises to complete a project or to alter a habit for their greater good. Since these resolutions are usually made in the beginning of the year, these are popularly known as New Year's Resolution. Ideally New Year's resolution should remain into effect until the goal is achieved. However, it has been noticed that most New Year Resolutions are broken fairly shortly after they are made.
History of New Year's Resolution
The tradition of making New Year's Resolutions was started by the early Babylonians. Their resolution was to return borrowed farm equipment and begin the New Year with a clean slate. Some people believe that New Year’s Resolutions were once promises made to the Gods, in the hope that the Gods would grant them some favor in return, such as a good harvest. It was also believed that breaking of New Year's resolution brought bad luck on the individual hence one was advised to be careful while making New Year's Resolution.
Top 10 New Year’s Resolutions
- Lose Weight
- Get Organized
- Spend Less, Save More
- Enjoy Life to its Fullest
- Stay Fit and Healthy
- Learn Something Exciting
- Quit Smoking
- Help Others in Their Dreams
- Fall in Love
- Spend More Time With Family
Celebrity New Year’s Resolutions
- Jennifer Lawrence – “stand up for myself”
- Kevin Bacon – “to get others to support their favorite cause”
- Melisa Joan Hart – “put my cell phone down more and play with my kids as much as possible”
- Tori Spelling – getting back into her skinny jeans
- Kevin Jonas – to get back in shape
- Emma Watson – “to speak French fluently”