NEW HEADING 1
fun facts about basketball!
December 6, 2012By danielle downs of Thomas Nelson HS
- The first “hoops” were actually just peach baskets and the first backboards were made of wire.
- Micheal Jordan, who retired in January 1999 but returned to the league in 2001, has scored more points (5,987) in the playoffs than any other player.
- The NBA instituted the three-pointer before the 1979-80 season, an idea it borrowed from the ABA.
- The very first basketball was actually a soccer ball. It wasn't until 1929 that the basketball used today was introduced.
- Before backboards, players used the wall as support for climbing or bounding and scored baskets this way. Around 1920, the baskets were extended out two feet and had backboards added to them.