GIRLS BASKETB ALL
BOYS TRACK & FIELD
GIRLS TRACK & FIELD
JUNIOR HIGH ATHLETICS
St. Clair Sweeps Union Tri-Meet
April 10, 2014St Clair Athletics
Competing on a cold and blustery day at Union’s Stierberger Stadium proved to be the right conditions for the St. Clair track teams.
St. Clair swept the boys and girls titles during action Friday afternoon in a three-team meet at Union.
On the boys side, St. Clair won with 41 points while Sullivan was second at 36 and Union took third with 34.
“Friday was a tough meet in terms of the conditions, but our kids did a good job competing and we had some of our younger kids get PRs in their events,” St. Clair boys Coach Ben Garmer said.
Garmer felt it was a good chance to compete not only against other schools and the clock, but also against the elements.
“It was a day to get a feel for the routine of a meet and a chance to not only compete against our opponents, but a chance to go up against the weather,” Garmer said. “We have stressed to our athletes that you don’t always get ideal conditions and you have to perform in all weather, because you never know what it will be like at the end of the season when everything is on the line.”
On the girls side, St. Clair scored 69 points to win. Union was second at 49.5 and Sullivan took third at 28.5.
“I thought our short sprinters ran well,” Union Head Coach Chris Kelley said. “I’m pleased with where we are in those sprints. Our long sprinters need to catch up. We have a lot of work to do in order to get where we want to go. Our field events are strong for us right now. The athletes are getting good coaching in practice and it’s transferring to the meets.”
Overall, Kelley feels Union needs some time to heal.
“We need to get our athletes healthy and back on the track,” Kelley said. “We are without a few of our top point scorers from a year ago.”
• 100-meter dash — Union’s Ryan Schumaker won in 11.67, just ahead of St. Clair’s Spencer Crumbaugh and Union’s Logan Bellamy.
• 200-meter dash — Bellamy was the winner in 23.97 with Sullivan’s Dustin Pewitt taking second and Union’s Andrew Kappelmann ending third.
• 400-meter dash — Sullivan’s Chris Erxleben won the event in 54.87. St. Clair’s Andrew Selter and Jagger Thompson were second and third, respectively.
• 800-meter run — Union’s Dylan Fitzgerald won in 2:09.48. Sullivan’s Randy Swaller was second and St. Clair’s Josh Bozada took third.
• 3,200-meter run — Sullivan’s Jacob Dixon won in 11:04.53. Union’s Jared Mentz was second.
• 110-meter high hurdles — Terrence Stahlman of St. Clair won in 17.58. Sullivan’s Caden Weigl was second.
• 300-meter intermediate hurdles — Sullivan’s Zack Robertson won in 45.04.
• 1,600-meter relay — St. Clair’s team of Thompson, Selter, Bozada and Crumbaugh won in 3:51.15.
• 3,200-meter relay — Sullivan won in 9:39.74. Running for the Eagles were Erxleben, Dixon, Swaller and Mark Johnson. St. Clair took second.
• Shot put — Sullivan’s Cody Golden won at 43-5. Casey Peth and Joe Lasky of Union took second and third.
• Discus — Golden won with a throw of 127-8. Lasky was second and St. Clair’s Charlie Fuchs took third.
• Long jump — Crumbaugh won with a leap of 20-4.5. Stahlman made it a 1-2 sweep for St. Clair and Schumaker was third for Union.
• Triple jump — Schumaker won with a distance of 38-4.75. Stahlman was second and Thompson ended third.
No results were reported for the varsity 1,600-meter run, 400-meter relay, 800-meter relay, high jump or pole vault.
• 100-meter dash — St. Clair’s Emily Presley was the winner in 13.25. Alyssa Stahlman of St. Clair was second and Dana Schatz of Sullivan took third.
• 200-meter dash — Presley won in 27.96. Union’s Amber Tharp was second and Sullivan’s LeighAnn Allen took third.
• 400-meter dash — Tharp won with a time of 1:08.3. Stahlman was second and Union’s Lyndsy Siedhoff ended third.
• 800-meter run — St. Clair’s Lyndsay Hardin won in 2:30.52. Union’s Taylor LaValle was second and Nicole Souders of St. Clair ended third.
• 1,600-meter run — LaValle won in a time of 6:15.3. Alexis Love and Brianna Rinks of St. Clair were the next two across the finish line.
• 100-meter high hurdles — Sullivan’s Natalie Schriever won in 16.85. Caitlyn Bieller of Sullivan was second.
• 300-meter low hurdles — Schriever was the winner in 20.25. Sullivan’s Lexie Brown was second.
• 800-meter relay — St. Clair’s team of Stahlman, Presley, Alex Lashly and Hardin won in 1:52.75. Sullivan was second.
• 1,600-meter relay — St. Clair’s team of Emily Hardin, Love, Souders and Lyndsay Hardin won in 4:36.82.
• 3,200-meter relay — The St. Clair team of Lyndsay Hardin, Souders, Emily Hardin and Love won in 11:33.47. Sullivan was second.
• Shot put — Union’s Hannah Mayfield won with a distance of 40-11. Allison Hinson of St. Clair took second and Alicia York of St. Clair was third.
• Discus — York won with a throw of 118-02 and was the only girl to exceed 100 feet. Mayfield was second and Union’s Tonya Vondera ended third.
• High jump — Lashly won with a height of 4-10. Siedhoff was second and Sullivan’s Laura Ware ended third.
• Long jump — Faith Groenke of Union won at 14-4. Union swept the top three spots with Tharp ending second and Keighlee Grable taking third.
• Triple jump — Lashly went 32-8 to win. Groenke was second and Kelsey Wachter of St. Clair was third.
No results from the boys meet were reported for the 3,200-meter run, 400-meter relay and pole vault.