GIRLS BASKETB ALL
BOYS TRACK & FIELD
GIRLS TRACK & FIELD
JUNIOR HIGH ATHLETICS
State Champions Lead FRC Wrestling Selections
March 6, 2014St Clair Athletics
Led by two state champions and four additional state medalists, the Four Rivers Conference wrestling team has been announced.
Class 3 state champions Austin Repp (170) of Pacific and Dalton Kuenzel (182) of Union, both seniors, were top selections. Repp went undefeated at 58-0, becoming the first wrestler in MSHSAA history to go undefeated while winning the maximum number of matches.
Kuenzel went 46-2 with the two losses coming to Repp in matches where Repp wrestled up to 182.
Repp’s 170-pound weight division also proved to be the toughest in the league this season as Owensville’s Chris Dolles (40-12), who placed sixth in Class 2, was the second-team selection.
There were two other state qualifiers in that class, St. Clair senior Dustin Conner (27-5) and Union freshman Dylan Ahern (26-20) had to settle for honorable mention in the weight.
Following Kuenzel at 182 was Owensville Class 2 state qualifier, senior Nick Plocinski (32-13).
Here’s how the rest of the all-conference selections went:
• 106 — Union freshman Dawson Sickmeier, a state qualifier, was the first-team selection at 30-16. Pacific freshman Jai Lewis (21-13) was the second pick.
• 113 — Union freshman Josh Clark (21-13) earned the top spot over St. Clair freshman Lucas Davis (25-20).
• 120 — Pacific sophomore Josh Franek (45-4), third place in Class 3, earned the top nod over St. Clair sophomore Ethan Koenig (21-19).
• 126 — Sophomore Zain Mathena of Pacific (24-27) earned the top spot over St. James senior Sean Hunger (21-14).
• 132 — Owensville junior Matt Pohlmann, a state qualifier at 43-10, was the first-team pick. St. James junior Daniel McCarthy (34-12) was the second-team selection.
• 145 — Pacific senior Danny Nickelson (28-22) earned the top spot. St. James junior Seth Thompson (24-16) was on the second team.
• 152 — Conrad Bombach of Owensville (11-15), a junior, was the first-team selection. St. Clair freshman Codie Stroup (19-24) was the second-team selection.
• 160 — Pacific junior Dalton Voyles (48-9), a state qualifier, earned the top spot. St. James senior Taylor Busche (29-16) was on the second team.
• 195 — Owensville senior AJ Harrell (47-4), fourth in Class 2, earned the top spot. St. Clair senior Skylar Hutchison (26-8), a Class 2 state qualifier, was the second-team selection.
• 220 — Owensville’s Dalton Escalante (28-22) was the first-team selection over Sullivan senior Nick Frye (11-6).
• 285 — Union senior Joe Lasky (32-10), who placed sixth in Class 3 at 220 pounds, was the top pick a the heaviest weight over St. Clair sophomore Colton Huddleston (21-14). Lasky started the season at 285, but wrestled most of the campaign at 220.
There were nine honorable mention selections as any state qualifier who didn’t earn a spot in the top two was given special recognition.
Those wrestlers were:
• Owensville — Senior Bodie Bombach (28-24 at 160);
• St. Clair — Sophomore Thomas Maple (22-18 at 106), junior Chris Algiere (25-23 at 132) and Conner;
• Sullivan — junior Jacob Dixon (25-13 at 106), senior Ryan Eastman (13-21 at 132), junior Travis Mogab (11-11 at 145) and senior Alex Crooks (25-5 at 160); and
• Union — Ahern.