��� Harpeth 2010 District Tournament | Harpeth High Athletics Baseball | iHigh.com






Home » Baseball News

Harpeth 2010 District Tournament

May 19, 2010
Harpeth High Athletics

Indians Close Out 2010 Baseball Season With

Overall Record of 21 Wins and 11 Losses


By Kelby Isbell

Harpeth earned a chance on Monday to compete in the District 11AA tournament with a win over Stewart County.  The Harpeth bats started off cold in the first round game of the district tournament against Camden Central.  The Indians' offense was shut down 3 up 3 down in each of the first three innings.  The starting pitcher for Harpeth, Jesse Morris, had one strike out, and gave up one walk with no runs scored in the first inning.  The second inning yielded the same results, one strike out, one walk, and no runs scored.  The Camden Lions scored the first run of the game in the bottom of the third on a one out RBI single to left field.   

Harpeth's first hit came in the top of the fourth as Kelby Isbell reached on an infield hit.  Dalton Davis walked, and Brandon Foriest was hit by a pitch to load the bases for Jesse Morris.  Morris drew a base on balls to push Isbell across the plate and knot the score at 1-1.  With bases loaded Devin Presley grounded to the shortstop for a fielder's choice, scoring Davis to put Harpeth ahead by one. The Lions picked up 2 runs in the bottom of the fourth inning to take the lead 3-2.  

Camden shut down the Harpeth offense in the top of the fifth.  Dalton Davis took the mound for the Indians in the bottom of the fifth.  The Lions scored one run in the 5th on a sacrifice fly to deep right field to extend the Camden lead to 4-2.  Both teams were held scoreless in the sixth inning.  Mark Moore reached on an error by the Camden third baseman in the top of the seventh.  Zach Moffatt followed with a single to right field, moving pinch runner, Travis Tice, to third base.  Tice scored on a Dakota Seagraves sacrifice fly to narrow the Camden lead to 4-3.  Blaine Marlin drew a base on balls to bring up Isbell with runners on first and second and 2 outs.   Isbell drove a 3-2 pitch down the right field line for a double scoring Moffatt and Marlin, to put Harpeth in the lead 5-4.  Dalton Davis extended the Harpeth lead with an RBI single scoring Isbell to put Harpeth ahead by 2 going into the bottom of the seventh.   Unfortunate for Harpeth, the Lions re-established themselves in the final half of the inning.  Hudson led off for Camden the bottom of the 7th with an infield single and scored on a double by Blackburn to the power alley in right.  Blackburn turned second, never slowed down, and scored on a throwing error to tie the score 6-6.  The following batter reached first on an infield hit.  Devin Presley took the mound with one man on and no outs in relief of Davis and gave up a hit to Douglass to put runners at the corners.  With no outs the next batter, Shannon, hit a single up the middle to score the winning run for Camden.  The final score was

Camden 7  Harpeth  6.


Harpeth moved into the loser's bracket and battled Creek Wood on Thursday in an attempt to stay in the tournament.  Blaine Marlin led off with a walk and moved to second base on a single by Kelby Isbell, however, both runners were stranded at the end of the inning.  Starting pitcher for Harpeth, Devin Presley, gave up no runs in the bottom of the first on two hits and struck out two.  In the top of the second, Presley reached on an error by the Red Hawks' short stop.  Mark Moore then laid down a sacrifice bunt to move Ethan Hurt, pinch running for Presley, to second base.  Zach Moffatt reached first on an error by the third baseman, and Hurt scored on the play.  Marlin was hit by a pitch, advancing Moffatt to second.  Kelby Isbell stepped in and hit an RBI double to right field scoring Moffatt to increase the Harpeth lead to 2-0.  Presley retired the side in the bottom of the second.

In the top of the third, Jess Morris walked and went to second on a single by Presley, but the runners were stranded on first and second for the remainder of the inning. In the bottom of the third, Creek Wood's Tyler Hudgins reached on a throwing error and went to second on the play.  Hudgins advanced to 3rd on a ground ball to the right side of the infield.  The next batter walked and advanced to third on a base hit to right, which scored Hudgins.  The following batter hit a sacrifice fly to right field.  The Red Hawks took the lead 3-2 when the next batter hit a RBI single.  Harpeth could get nothing going offensively in the top of the fourth inning. The Indians held Creek Wood scoreless in the bottom of the fourth in spite of two hits and a throwing error.    Harpeth still could not get the bats going in the top of the fifth.  In the bottom of the fifth, the first Creek Wood batter was hit by a pitch and scored on an RBI double to extend Creek Wood's lead to 4-2 after five complete innings. 

Mark Moore led off for Harpeth with a double in the top of the sixth.  Travis Tice (running for Moore) went to third on a grounder to the right side of the infield off the bat of Dakota Seagraves but was left stranded as the Indians went hitless for the remainder of the inning.  Zach Moffatt took the mound for Harpeth in the bottom of the sixth and retired the side.   The Indians could not find a rally in the top of the seventh.  The final score was Creek Wood  4   Harpeth  2.

Tags Harpeth High Athletics • Publisher
Rate This Article
Thanks for rating this article!
Share This Article