HALL OF FAME
Game 7: Bardstown vs. Pleasure Ridge Park, 6:30 p.m. Thursday
March 19, 2014Bardstown High School
• Coach: James “Boo” Brewer
• Last trip to State: 2011 (lost to Bullitt East 53-44 in first round).
• What to look for: The Tigers have four starters averaging between 9.2 and 12.6 points, and Brewer said all are capable of scoring 20 on a given night. “I think it works better that way,” said Brewer, who played for the University of Louisville. “At least that’s the way I was taught at Louisville.” Brewer pointed out his team has been an underdog all season, as Elizabethtown and Taylor County were the favorites in the Fifth Region.
• Key player: With not much size around him, Seivon Schooling is responsible for working the boards and contributing plenty of points. “We call him our ‘Big Man on Campus,’ ” Brewer said. “He takes care of the paint … and just has a nose for the ball.”
• Coach-speak: “Nobody ever gave us the credit of being No. 1 in the region, and that was fine with me,” Brewer said. “I knew our guys were going to go out there and play as hard as they can.”
5-6, Jr., 10.6 ppg, 2.1 rpg
5-8, Jr., 12.6 ppg, 4.1 rpg
5-8, Sr., 9.2 ppg, 2.3 rpg
6-2, Sr., 4 ppg, 3.1 rpg
6-6, Sr., 11.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg
6-0, Sr., 5 ppg
5-9, Jr., 3.9 ppg
5-4, Jr., 3.3 ppg
6-1, Sr., 2.4 ppg, 2.1 rpg
PLEASURE RIDGE PARK PANTHERS
• Coach: Dale Mabrey
• Last trip to State: 2013 (lost to Holmes 65-60 in first round).
• What to look for: Lamontray Harris will miss the Bardstown game as he completes a two-game suspension for being ejected from the regional semifinals against Doss. Mabrey is concerned about how his team will match up with Bardstown without Harris, but there’s still plenty of talent. D’Angelo Hunter, Drew Glass and Richard Gaines give PRP plenty of size and rebounding, and Antonio McDaniels, below, is a solid point guard who can put the game away late at the free-throw line (81.8 percent).
• Key player: Harris, the Sixth Region Player of the Year, is itching to get back in uniform if the Panthers can reach the quarterfinals. Without him, McDaniels and Hunter will have to be the leaders. McDaniels can penetrate and shoot from the outside, and Hunter can be a deadly slasher to the basket when he’s on his game.
• Coach-speak: “(Bardstown) is loaded with quick guards who can shoot it well from deep,” Mabrey said. “Then they have the (Schooling) kid on the inside who can block shots and rebound. It’s going to be a hard matchup up for us without (Harris).”
5-10, Sr., 12.5 ppg, 2.8 rpg
6-0, Jr., 3.8 ppg, 1.2 rpg
6-5, Jr., 5.7 ppg, 4.7 rpg
6-7, Sr., 13.0 ppg, 7.2 rpg
6-7, Sr., 18.1 ppg, 10.2 rpg
x-Suspended for the first round.
6-3, Jr., 4.4 ppg, 5.3 rpg
6-1, Sr., 3.7 ppg, 2.1 rpg
6-0, So., 3.3 ppg