Media & Sports Related Links
RMHS tops NN 7-2 in girls tennis to force tie in league
October 11, 2011By Charles Alston of Rocky Mount High School
RED OAK - Rocky Mount's girls tennis team forced a showdown with Wilson Hunt for a playoff spot after its 7-2 win at Northern Nash Thursday afternoon.
Wilson Hunt and Rocky Mount (10-6, 7-3) tied for second in the Big East and the league sends only two teams to the dual team tournament. The tie will be broken Monday at Hunt. The loser of the match still has a chance to make the postseason via a wild card (best overall record not in the East 3-A field).
"The girls knew they had to win today to force Monday's match to still get in the playoffs so there was some pressure on them today and they handled it well," said Rocky Mount head coach Barry Nethercutt. "Caroline (Bell) and Mackenzie (Warner) are really tough mentally and never let anything get to them. I also thought Tanner (Brice) played a very clean singles match and we'll need her to continue that kind of play. She and Mackenzie played one of their best doubles matches today also and hopefully that is a sign of what they are going to play like these last few weeks."
ROCKY MOUNT 7, NORTHERN NASH 2
1. Katie Beaman (NN) def. Elizabeth Thompson 6-2, 6-0
2. Caroline Bell (RM) def. Sarah Hinson 6-3, 6-4
3. Mackenzie Warner (RM) def. Isabel Marrero 6-3, 6-1
4. Emily Arroyo (RM) def. Hannah Shearin 6-4, 6-3
5. Tanner Brice (RM) def. Molly Wilson 6-0, 6-1
6. Samantha WHicker (RM) def. Robyn Jones 6-1, 6-1
1. Hinson/Marrero (NN) def. Thompson/Bell 8-1
2. Brice/Warner (RM) def. Beaman/Wilson 9-8(7-4)
3. Arroyo/Whicker (RM) def. Shearin/Sharon Spain 8-1