Wilson Hunt earns rare girls tennis win over Rocky Mount
September 28, 2011Rocky Mount High School
From staff reports, Wilson Times
ROCKY MOUNT — After singles finished deadlocked at 3-all, visiting Hunt High took two doubles wins to beat Rocky Mount 5-4 on Tuesday at Sunset Park for the Lady Warriors’ first win in the varsity girls tennis series in head coach Wayne Hardy’s six seasons.
Rebekah Craven fought back from a 6-2 loss in the first set of her No. 4 singles match to beat Rocky Mount’s Emily Arroyo 6-3 in set 2 before completing the comeback with a 10-8 decision in the third-set tiebreaker. Craven then team with Olivia Ingram to claim an 8-4 triumph at No. 3 doubles, the decisive match.
Senior Aly Jones of Hunt also needed a third-set tiebreaker to prevail at No. 1 singles over Elizabeth Thompson.
Ingram defeated Hannah Brice 7-5, 7-5 at No. 5 singles while Anna Gates Winslow-Anna Baggett won at No. 2 doubles.
Hunt’s Sara Parks won her exhibition singles match 8-4 against Emily Gray.
The Lady Warriors climbed to 7-4 overall and 5-2 in 3-A Big East Conference play, tying them with the Gryphons for second place behind state-ranked No. 4 Nash Central.
WILSON HUNT 5, ROCKY MOUNT 4
1. Aly Jones (H) def. Elizabeth Thompson 4-6, 6-4, (10-3);
2. Caroline Bell (RM) def. Kelsey Lineberger 6-4, 6-2;
3. McKenzie Warner (RM) def. Anna Gates Winslow 6-2, 6-1;
4. Rebekah Craven (H) def. Emily Arroyo 2-6, 6-3, (10-8);
5. Olivia Ingram (H) def. Hannah Brice 7-5, 7-5;
6. Samantha Wicker (RM) def. Anna Baggett 6-3, 5-7, (10-5)
1. Thompson-Bell (RM) def. Jones-Lineberger 8-4;
2. Winslow-Baggett (H) def. Warner-Arroyo 8-4;
3. Craven-Ingram (H) def. Wicker-Emily Gray 8-4