Media & Sports Related Links
Gryphons netters earn share of Big East title
April 26, 2010Rocky Mount High School
But that didn't happen after the Gryphons ended the regular season as co-champions of the Big East Conference after their 7-2 win at Northern Nash Thursday. RMHS concluded the regular season 12-2 overall and 9-1 in league action.
"The win gives us a tie as co-champs with Southern Nash," said RMHS head coach Barry Nethercutt. "I saw this team finishing fourth at the start of the season, so it's a real testament to how much the guys have improved and listened and learned that they could knock off Southern and be a conference champ."
"We now get ready for team playoffs and individual tournaments," he said. "We will
flip a coin at our conference tournament meeting Monday night to
determine the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds for the playoffs which start May 4.
"Either way, the first round will not be easy and we will have to play some of our best tennis of the season to advance."
The Big East Conference Tournament will be held Tuesday and Wednesday at Barton College beginning at 2 p.m.
Rocky Mount 7 Northern Nash 2
1. Michael Brackett (NN) def. Ross Bradley 6-1, 6-0
2. Miguel Valdez (RM) def. Adam Ward 6-1, 6-4
3. Gavin Stone (RM) def. Bryson Williams 7-5, 6-3
4. John Hader (RM) def. Julian Marrerro 5-7, 6-4 (10-5)
5. Zack Green (RM) def. Jonah Richardson 6-7(7-5), 6-4 (10-7)
6. Mason Holt (RM) def. Dylan Crumpton 6-4, 0-6, (10-7)
1. Valdez/Stone (RM) def. Brackett/Ward 8-6
2. Bradley/Hader (RM) def. Wiliams/Richardson 8-5
3. Marrero/Eric Turner (NN) def. Green/Holt 8-4