RECORDS & AWARDS
XAVIER: Men's Basketball Shoots For 3-0 Record In Atlantic 10 Play
January 15, 2013Richmond High School
XAVIER SPORTS INFORMATION
Television:CBS Sports Network with play-by-play from Don Criqui and analysis from Chris Spatola.
The X's And O's
• Xavier, 9-6 overall and 2-0 in the Atlantic 10 Conference, defeated George Washington 71-56 on Saturday at Cintas Center. Freshman Semaj Christon and senior Brad Redford tied for game-high scoring honors with 21 points each.
• Xavier ranks second in the Atlantic 10 Conference in both field goal percentage defense (.397) and 3-point field goal percentage defense (.298). XU is third in scoring defense at 60.3 ppg.
• Xavier has won outright or shared nine Atlantic 10 Conference Regular Season Championships since joining the league for the 1995-96 season, including five of the last six seasons. This is Xavier's 18th season in the Atlantic 10.
• Xavier freshman Semaj Christon won Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week honors this week for the third time this season after averaging 18.5 ppg. and 4.5 apg. for XU's wins over Temple and George Washington to open the Atlantic 10 season. Christon leads XU in scoring (13th overall and first among freshmen in the Atlantic 10 at 14.1 ppg.), assists (4th in A-10 at 4.8 apg.) and steals (15th in the A-10 at 1.4 spg.).
Xavier senior Brad Redford hit a career-high seven 3-pointers out of eight attempts on his way to a career-high 21 points against George Washington on Saturday. Redford started the game in place of sophomore Dee Davis, who is nursing a left wrist injury.
• Xavier senior Travis Taylor contributed 11 rebounds and a career-high six assists in the George Washington win. Taylor is XU's rebound leader at 7.8 rpg. (4th in Atlantic 10), while standing second in scoring at 11.3 ppg.
• Xavier sophomore Justin Martin, who is fourth on the team in scoring (8.7 ppg.) and third in rebounding (5.2 rpg.), has recorded nine double-figure scoring games.
• Xavier sophomore Dee Davis is third on the team in scoring (9.5 ppg.) and second in assists (3.7 apg.). Davis sat out the GW game and played only 10 minutes vs. Temple.
• Xavier fourth-year head coach Chris Mack is 82-36 (.695) overall as Xavier's head coach. Mack led Xavier to the NCAA Tournament in each of his first three seasons, including the NCAA Sweet 16 in 2010 and 2012.
• Xavier is one of only four teams that have made the NCAA Sweet 16 four times in the last five years (2008-12): Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina and Xavier. No team has made all of the last five Sweet 16s. Xavier is one of only eight schools that have made at least the last seven straight NCAA Tournaments.
• Xavier is ranked 11th in the nation in the latest NCAA Graduation Success Rate at 97 percent. Xavier men's basketball was among 14 XU programs at 100 percent.
• Xavier has graduated each of the last 88 men's basketball players that have played as seniors, a streak which dates back to 1986.