MY TOP 25
December 17, 2012Richmond High School
The college basketball season is well underway and it’s time to keep track of my top 25 teams. This week’s poll:
- DUKE. Taking last week off, the Blue Devils should be well rested to defend their newly found #1 spot.
- SYRACUSE. Syracuse had a slow start against Canisius, but pulled away in the second half. Win 900 coming on Monday.
- MICHIGAN. From start to finish Michigan had the upper hand over WVU. This week they'll go for win 12 against EMU.
- INDIANA. The Hoosiers lost their first game of the season to in-state rival Butler in a thrilling overtime game.
- ARIZONA. The Wildcats played their first ranked opponent and sent Florida home with a heartbreaking loss.
- OHIO STATE. The Buckeyes have won four in a row since their loss at Duke. This Saturday they play against Kansas.
- FLORIDA. The Gators played very well on a tough road trip to Tucson, but they could not hang on in the end.
- LOUISVILLE. After Louisville's loss to Duke, they had a close call against Illinois State. Now they are back on track.
- KANSAS. KU avoided an upset against an always fiesty Belmont squad. Richmond has a history of beating big guys too.
- NOTRE DAME. Notre Dame is playing very well right now and that won't end any time soon with their upcoming schedule.
- MISSOURI. Missouri had last week off to prepare for this week's games against SCSU and Illinois…and maybe study a tad.
- CINCINNATI. The Bearcats are now 11-0 after beating Marshall on Saturday. This week they host Xavier, which is always interesting.
- CREIGHTON. Creighton picked up what may be their best win of the season when they went to Cal and won 74-64.
- MINNESOTA. The Golden Gophers have just one game in 20 days, which is coming up this weekend against Lafayette.
- ILLINOIS. Illinois survived the battle of the unbeatens against EKU. This weekend they head to Mizzou for a bigger game.
- MICHIGAN STATE. It took a little while for the Spartans to get used to Jenison Field House, but they won. Next it is off to BGSU.
- GONZAGA. Gonzaga rebounded nicely from their home loss to Illinois by beating up on Kansas State 68-52.
- NORTH CAROLINA. The Tar Heels had to hang on to beat East Carolina on Saturday. This week begins with a trip to Texas.
- SAN DIEGO STATE. San Diego State had no trouble with crosstown rival San Diego on Saturday night. The big game this week is at USF.
- GEORGETOWN. Georgetown is scoring points again, tallying 89 against Longwood and 81 against Western Carolina last week.
- KENTUCKY. Kentucky added another win to their tally. They'll need a few of those wins to be quality wins sooner or later.
- NEW MEXICO. Though NMSU is not sporting a great team, this rivalry is tough. UNM came away with a win to remain undefeated.
- UNLV. UNLV was not tested last week, but now they play UTEP, Northern Iowa and Canisius in a six day stretch.
- NC STATE. The Wolfpack took care of business against Norfolk State last week. Next up is Stanford and St. Bonaventure.
- OKLAHOMA STATE. Oklahoma State topped the 90 point mark for the first time this season when the played against Central Arkansas.
The AP poll comes out later Monday.