BIG TEN BASKETBALL PREDICTIONS
October 15, 2012Richmond High School
THIS YEAR IN THE BIG TEN
Troy Derengowski, Richmond's Sports Page
Predicted Order of Finish
- INDIANA. The dark days in Bloomington are over. Tom Crean has this team in position to win a National Championship.
- OHIO STATE. The Buckeyes lost a lot of talent but will be tough again because of DeShaun Thomas and Aaron Craft.
- MICHIGAN. Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. will give Michigan a great one-two punch.
- MICHIGAN STATE. With Derrick Nix inside and Keith Appling outside, the Spartans will be in contention for another Big Ten title.
- MINNESOTA. The Golden Gophers will be dangerous with forward Trevor Mbakwe.
- WISCONSIN. The Badgers have several starters back and a good freshman in Sam Dekker.
- IOWA. This may be a breakout season for third year head coach Fran McCaffery.
- ILLINOIS. This may be a rebuilding project for new head coach John Groce.
- PURDUE. A lot of inexperience and no Robbie Hummel.
- NORTHWESTERN. John Shurna is gone but Bill Carmody has size and depth returning.
- PENN STATE. Tim Frazier is back with his 18 ppg.
- NEBRASKA. This team lost a lot of production from a bad team.
PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Cody Zeller, Indiana
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Aaron Craft, Ohio State
UNDERRATED PLAYER: Derrick Nix, Michigan State
NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR: Sam Dekker, Wisconsin
ALL BIG TEN FIRST TEAM
Trey Burke, Michigan
Tim Frazier, Penn State
Trevor Mbakwe, Minnesota
DeShawn Thomas, Ohio State
Cody Zeller, Indiana
ALL BIG TEN SECOND TEAM
Keith Appling, Michigan State
Aaron Craft, Ohio State
Brandon Paul, Illinois
Christian Watford, Indiana
Aaron White, Iowa
ALL BIG TEN THIRD TEAM
Jared Berggren, Wisconsin
DJ Byrd, Purdue
Drew Crawford, Northwestern
Tim Hardaway Jr., Michigan
Derrick Nix, Michigan State
BEST RECRUITING CLASSES
- MICHIGAN STATE
- PENN STATE
- OHIO STATE