IU EAST REACHES KIAC TOURNEY SEMIFINALS
May 4, 2012Richmond High School
RICHMOND, Ind. - The Indiana University East men's tennis team reached the
semifinals of the Kentucky Intercollegiate Athletic Conference tournament with a 5-4
win against Saint Louis College of Pharmacy on May 4 at Glen Miller Park.
The Red Wolves (6-13) saw their season end with an 8-0 loss against Asbury
University in the semifinals later May 4.
No. 1 seed Asbury (13-6) will meet No. 2 seed Indiana University Southeast (12-7) in
the KIAC tournament championship match at 10 a.m. May 5 at Glen Miller Park.
IU East's victory against Saint Louis College of Pharmacy was the program's first
win in a KIAC tournament match.
The fourth-seeded Red Wolves grabbed the early advantage against the fifth-seeded
Eutectics (3-8) by winning two of the three doubles matches.
IU East's No. 1 team of freshman Ty Butler (Wadesville, Ind./North Posey High
School) and redshirt sophomore Adam Derengowski (Richmond, Ind./Richmond High
School) won 9-8, including an in 8-6 triumph in the decisive tiebreaker.
Freshman No. 4 singles player Jake Welsh (Buchanan, Mich./Buchanan High School)
picked the perfect time for his first singles win of the spring, clinching the team
win for IU East with a 6-4, 6-7, 6-0 victory.
Derengowski and sophomore Justin Judd (West Milton, Ohio/Milton-Union High School)
also won in singles for IU East. Judd rallied from two breaks down in the second set
of his 6-4, 7-5 win.
Butler was named to the 13-player KIAC all-conference team following the semifinal
round. Butler is IU East's first men's tennis all-KIAC honoree.
IU East-SLCOP match results
IU East-Asbury match results
KIAC TOURNAMENT BRACKET
Friday, May 4
No. 4 IU East 5, No. 5 Saint Louis College of Pharmacy 4
No. 3 Brescia 9, No. 6 Berea 0
No. 1 Asbury 8, IU East 0
No. 2 IU Southeast 5, Brescia 1
Saturday, May 5
Championship (10 a.m.)
Asbury vs. IU Southeast, at Glen Miller Park
IU EAST 5, SLCOP 4
1. Alex Cline (SLCOP) Ty Butler 2-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. Adam Derengowski (IUE) def. Nick Selby 6-1, 6-1
3. Bohan Li (SLCOP) def. Derek Blank 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
4. Jake Welsh (IUE) def. Matt Respicio 6-4, 6-7, 6-0
5. Juston Judd (IUE) def. Brad Rumancik (SLCOP) 6-4, 7-5
6. Mitchell Gardner (SLCOP) def. Nick Frank 7-5, 6-4
1. Ty Butler-Adam Derengowski (IUE) def. Alex CLine-Nick Selby 9-8 (6)
2. Bohan Li-Mitchell Gardner (SLCOP) def. Derek Blank-Jake Welsh 8-2
3. Justin Judd-Brian Luke (IUE) def. Matt Respicio-Brad Rumancik 8-5
ASBURY 8, IU EAST 0
1. Nathan Schley (AU) def. Ty Butler 6-0, 6-0
2. Scott Layton (AU) def. Adam Derengowski 6-0, 6-1
3. Braun Applegate (AU) def. Derek Blank 6-1, 6-0
4. Stephen Woods (AU) def. Jake Welsh 6-4, 1-1, ret.
5. Daniel Harris (AU) def. Nick Frank 6-0, 6-0
6. Justin Westlund (AU) def. Brian Luke 6-0, 6-1
1. Braun Applegate-Stephen Woods (AU) def. Ty Butler-Adam Derengowski 8-0
2. Daniel Harris-Justin Westlund (AU) def. Derek Blank-Zach Smith 8-6