2011 Football Camps
Comeback falls short vs. #5 NWYA
October 1, 2011By Tim Klingbeil of Montgomery-Lonsdale Football
Week #4 vs. NWYA (Loss 42-13)
1. Tell me about the game last week against Norwood Young America. What happened?
- We got down early but fought back and make it a game in the 3rd Qtr. Our kids played hard and they never gave up. Ultimately the Raiders were too strong for us to come out on top.
2. How did the team perform against the MRC powerhouse NYA?
- The Raiders were a very physical football team and a very talented one. They have very few weakens and will prove a strong challenge to any opponent they face for the remainder of the season. They have 21 seniors and a very big and physical line averaging 225 or better to the man. I would not be surprised in the least to see this team deep into the state tournament.
3. The score was 13-48, so the Redbirds had two touchdowns. Tell me about those?
- They took a 21-0 lead into the half with a smash mouth offense and a stingy, solid and physical defense. We were able to make some adjustment at halftime and score on our opening drive. After that we successfully attempted and converted an onside kick. Once we had the onside kick we took the ball down once more for a score. At that point it’s a 21-13 game in the 3rd Qtr. We lift one drive on the 5 yard line and also committed 3 turnovers. Outside of these mistakes we really had a strong shot at beating them
4. Was your strategy any different going into that game (knowing who you were up against) than the last two contests?
- We knew this was a team we could not line up and move around. We knew we had to beat them on the outside with our speed and quickness. Their size was going to be an advantage we could not overcome. We spread it out and passes like never before. In the 3rd Qtr alone we were 10/14 with over 100 yards passing. We ended the game with a school record 184 yards passing. It was an effective motion but ultimately we were unable to achieve our objective of leaving with a victory.
5. Friday, the boys take on Mayer Lutheran. How do you think that game will turn out?
- Mayer Lutheran is also coming of a week ranked in the state (#9 2AA). They are fast, quick and very good in open space. Their defense is very physical and always a task to move the ball on. They are one of the best teams in the MRC and will prove to be a very strong challenge. They are well coached and they will be ready to play.
6. Stats and highlights.
- #7 Sr. Dalton Zeug (17/27 184 Yards 1 TD)
- #4 So. Mason Brownlee (5 Rec. 37 Yards 1 TD)
- #5 Sr. Jeff Tied (10 Tackles)
- #8 Jr. Alex Turgeon (6 Tackles, 1 INT & 1 FR)
- #22 So. John Hanek (3 Tackles & 1 INT)
Team MVP: Jeff Tiede
Offensive MVP: Dalton Zeug
Defensive MVP: Jeff Tiede
Special Teams: Derrick Trnka
Scout Off: Matt Florae
Scout Def: Tyler Bratsch
Hit of the Week: Jeff Tiede
Put out the Fire: Alex Turgeon
Impact Moment: Derrick Trnka