Politics of Coaching
QUOTES FOR COACHES
January 21, 2010MOTIVATING STUDENT-ATHLETES
1. "There's more to winning, than just wanting to."
2. "What counts is not the number of hours you put in but how much you
put into those hours."
3. "Pain is temporary, pride is forever."
4. "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."
5. "Make the least of what is gone, & make the most of what is to
6. "Teams that spend a lot of time learning the tricks of the trade
will probably never really learn the trade."
9. "Your "I Will" is more important than your I.Q."
10. "The quest for excellence is a lifelong process."
11. "The power to win must come from within."
12. "Never settle for less than your best."
13. "What is popular is not always right; what is right is not always
14. "A chip on the shoulder is too heavy a load for anyone to bear."
15. "A person doesn't stay defeated because of something that happens
to him, but within him."
16. "An athlete is not a vessel to be filled, but a lamp to be
17. "Accept defeat, but cherish victory."
18. "Act like a heel and you can be sure you'll be stepped on."
19. "Quitters are great losers."
20. "An athlete should keep on his feet as long as he can, and keep his
head going all the time."
21. "Anything almost right is usually wrong."
22. "Be positive; the only place for doubt is in the dictionary."
23. "It's better to be alone than in bad company."
24. "Beware of a half truth; you may be getting the wrong half."
25. "Big talk doesn't compensate for small accomplishments."
26. "Better untaught than ill-taught."
27. "A hammer doesn't lose its head until it flies off the handle."
28. "Think of constructive criticism as a kick in the pants with a
29. "Don't be afraid to waste time by learning something you are not
required to know."
30. "Don't count the days; make the days count."
31. "Don't go where the path leads, but to where there is no path and
you can leave a trail."
32. "Don't try out--stick out."
33. "Good teams are like elevators; they go right back up after let-
34. "He who never settles up never dares to settle down."
35. "How long has it been since you liked what you saw in the mirror?"
36. "Coaches are not concerned when you fall, but when you do not try
37. "Ideas don't work unless you do."
38. "If at first you don't succeed, you are like most people."
39. "If scoring is unimportant, why do they make scoreboards?"
40. "If what you did yesterday still looks big to you today, you really
didn't accomplish much."
41. "If you have enough push, you will not need pull."
42. "Anyone looking for a helping hand can always find one at the end
of his arm."
43. "In killing time, make sure you're not murdering opportunity."
44. "Winning takes more backbone than wishbone."
45. "You can't get ahead when you spend all your time getting even."
47. "Mistakes will happen, but you don't want to give them a lot of
48. "Nobody ever became a ball player by walking after the ball."
49. "Profanity never made a man out of a boy."
50. "Some coaches are so busy learning the tricks of the trade that
they never learn the trade."
52. "Good athletes will find a way; losers will find an excuse."
53. "The harder you work, the luckier you get."
54. "The higher you stretch, the more you grow."
55. "The main ingredients of stardom is the rest of the team."
56. "He who never makes a mistake is he who never ventures."
57. "It's good to be a good loser, but it's better to be a humble
58. "The optimist can be as wrong as the pessimist, but he'll always be
59. "The trouble with being a good sport is that you have to lose to
60. "Athletes who have to stop to think usually stay parked."
61. "The trouble with the future is that it usually arrives before
you're ready for it."
62. "People who don't believe in miracles will never have on happen to
63. "Think and thank, and you'll make it as a coach."
64. "Those who truly see look with their hearts."
65. "Timid athletes wait for opportunities; aggressive athletes make
66. "What you don't know may not hurt you, but it may make you look
67. "When a coach is wrapped up in himself, the package is usually
68. "When in doubt, don't guess...just ask."
69. "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt it."
70. "Tough times don't last; tough people do."
71. "Seize the moment and the hour will be yours."
72. "Winning isn't important--unless the opponent are doing it."
73. "Any time you fail to correct a mistake, you are destined to make
74. "Look before you lip."
75. "The best site for sore eyes is the goal line."
77. "Before you score, you have to have a goal."
78. "The only good moral victory is when you are defeated in a worthy
79. "Getting down on your knees can often help you get back on your
80. "Stupidity is not making mistakes, but repeating them."
81. "The hardest battle to win is when you're alone with yourself in
82. "Nature endows talent, but the person must make it work."
83. "Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
84. "People who live in glass houses have a lot of covering up to do."
85. "Athletes who seek perfection may not achieve it, but they will
gain from seeking."
86. "When you have measurements, you have performance. When you have
no measurements, you have excuses." Peter Drucker
87. "We are all alike; we have eyes, ears, arms, legs, & a head. The
difference is in the heart."
90. "See with your eyes, reach with your heart."
91. "The only way to think straight is by not running around in
92. "Playing to win is not doing what you like, but liking what you
93. "Winners love to do the things that failures hate to do."
94. "The problem with doing nothing is that you never know when you're
95. "By the time some athletes learn how to play the game they are too
old to make the team."
96. "When you stop to think, don't forget that you have to start
97. "Winning is the second step; wanting to win is the first."
98. "Winners don't count the breaks; they make the breaks count."
99. "Worrying is like a rocking chair: It may give you something to do,
but it gets you nowhere."
100. "Players who aren't self-starters shouldn't blame the coach for
being the crank."
101. "Being average is being the best of the worst and worst of the
best; who wants to be average?"
102. "The most important qualification for becoming a champion is an
intense, burning desire."
103. "When life kicks you, let is kick you forward. Some people might
have considered our injuries as kicks--well, we just let it kick
us forward. Maybe you can't change the direction of the wind,
but you can adjust your sails."
FROM ROSES TO RASPBERRIES...
The team they are cheering
with accents endearing,
Whose pathway is strewn
with roses so red,
May boot one tomorrow
and learn to its sorrow
That raspberries grown
When roses are dead.
So a word of advice
To you, Beaver star:
From roses to raspberries
Ain't very far!
LAW OF THE JUNGLE
by Rudyard Kipling
NOW THIS IS THE LAW OF THE JUNGLE--
AS OLD AND AS TRUE AS THE SKY;
AND THE WOLF THAT KEEP IT MAY PROSPER,
BUT THE WOLF THAT SHALL BREAK IT MUST DIE.
AS THE CREEPER THAT GIRDLES THE TREE TRUNK
THE LAW RUNNETH FORWARD AND BACK--
AND THE STRENGTH OF THE PACK IS THE WOLF;
AND THE STRENGTH OF THE WOLF IS THE PACK.
WE'RE ON THE SAME SIDE
Buddy was a small boy who was very wise and very clever for his age. What he lacked in physical stature, he made up for in his ability to think on his feet.
As he was eating his lunch in the school yard on day, three big bullies swaggered up to him and demanded he hand over his food. The small boy hesitated and slowly stood up.
"Maybe you're hard of hearing," growled the largest of the three. "We said to hand over your lunch!"
The little guy backed up dramatically, then he drew a line in the dirt with the toe of his hoe. He looked the leader of the group right in the eye and said, "Now, you just step across that line."
The bully didn't hesitate for one moment at the challenge. He stomped defiantly across the line and barked, "I'm across, now what are you going to do about it?"
Smiling, the little guy looked the big bully right i the eye and said, "There, now we're on the same side!"
108. "If it seems like you can see farther than most people, it is
because you're standing on shoulders of giants." Gene Stallings
109. "I'm seldom right, but I'm never in doubt." Gene Stallings
110. "Victory goes to the player who makes the next to last mistake."
111. "The hardest job kids face today is learning good manners without
seeing any." Fred Astaire
112. "Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." George S. Patton
114. "Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy."
115. "A man who makes a mistake and doesn't correct it makes two."
116. "So it is that good warriors take their stance on ground where
they cannot lose, and do not overlook conditions that make an
opponent prone to defeat." From The Art of War
117. "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you
going." Jim Ryun
119. "Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one
120. "There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those
who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is
less competition there." Indira Gandbi
121. "If you look only at what is, you might never attain what could
122. "The only man who never makes a mistake is the man who never does
123. "The will to win is not nearly as important as the will to
prepare to win." Bobby Knight
124. "The man who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small
stones." Chinese Proverb
125. "The quality of your play never counts as much as the quality of
your effort." Bud Wilkinson
126. "A star can win any game; a team can win every game."
127. "Coaches who scrimmage all the time don't know what to practice."
128. "Luck is being ready for the chance." J. Frank Dobie
129. "The only thing worse than finishing second is to be lying on
the desert alone with your back broken. Either way, nobody ever
finds out about you." Red Sanders
130. "I never scrimmage Oilers against Oilers...What for? Houston
isn't on our schedule." Bum Phillips
131. "We will win with character, not with characters." Bob Weltlich
132. "Last season we couldn't win at home and we were losing on the
road. My failure as a coach was that I couldn't think of
anyplace else to play." Harry Neal
133. "If you make every game a life-and-death proposition, you're
going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
134. "There are a thousand reasons for failure, but not a single
excuse." Mike Reid
135. "Discussion is an exchange of knowledge; argument an exchange of
ignorance." Robert Quillen
136. "The most important things in the world, aren't things."
137. "The integrity of men is measured by their conduct, not by their
138. "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time
to do it over?"
139."The difference between champ and chump is U."
140.“Every time a player goes out to ply his trade he’s got to play from the ground up – from the soles of his feet right up to his head. Every inch of him has to play. Some guys play with their heads. That’s O.K. You’ve got to be smart to be Number One in any business. But more important, you’ve got to play with you heart – with every fiber of your body. If you’re lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of head and a lot of heart, he’s never going to come off the field second.” Vince Lombardi
141.“I never think of he future. It comes soon enough.” Albert Einstein
142.“An atheist is a man who watches a Notre Dame-Southern Methodist University football game and doesn’t care who wins.” Dwight D. Eisenhower
143.“For Glory gives herself only to those who have always dreamed of her.” Charles De Gaulle
144.“Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently.” Henry Ford
145.“For of those to whom much is given, much is required.” John F. Kennedy
146.“It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues.” Abraham Lincoln
147.“It’s not whether you get knocked down. It’s whether you get up.” Vince Lombardi
148.“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can.” John Wooden
149.“The only limit to realizations of tomorrow will be our doubts of today.” Franklin D. Roosevelt
150.“In war, there is no substitute for victory.” Douglas Mac Arthur
151.“Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren’t.” Margaret Thatcher
152.“Being a president is like riding a tiger. A man has to keep on riding or he is swallowed.” Harry Truman
153.“Excellence is to do a common thing in an uncommon way.” Booker T. Washington
154.“Age is a high price to pay for maturity.” Tom Stoppard
155.“Don’t marry for money. You can borrow it for cheaper.”
156.“Life is one long process of getting tired.” Samuel Butler
157.“The way to stay popular as a quarterback in the NFL is never to play.” Cliff Stoudt
158.“I got a million dollar offer from the World Football League…a dollar a year for a million years.” Steve Wright
159.“You ought to go to the Wizard of Oz and ask him for some courage.” Thomas “Holleywood” Henderson
160.“The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.” Arthur Birsbane
161.“Conceit is God’s gift to little men.” Bruce Barton
162.“When looking for faults use a mirror, not a telescope.”
163.“No one ever drowned in their own sweat.”
164.“You don’t have to stay awake nights to succeed; just stay aw