OHSAA: Officials Hall of Fame to welcome 14 new members
June 16, 2012By E. Shawn Aylsworth of Ohio Preps Authority
COLUMBUS – The Ohio High School Athletic Association Officials Hall of Fame Committee will enshrine its 2012 class into the Officials Hall of Fame at its annual induction banquet June 16 in Columbus.
Each of the 14 inductees in the 2012 class is being honored for his or her significant contributions to interscholastic officiating in the state of Ohio.
While the OHSAA’s Circle of Champions recognizes individuals from various areas who had outstanding careers in high school athletics and have further contributed to interscholastic sports, the Officials Hall of Fame is the only Hall of Fame sponsored by the OHSAA.
“We currently have approximately 16,000 officials in Ohio, and so many of them, along with many retired officials, have had outstanding careers in officiating,” said OHSAA Assistant Commissioner Henry Zaborniak, who oversees the entire officiating program. “It’s an honor to recognize these highly respected individuals with induction into the Hall of Fame and thank them for their service to student-athletes, coaches, schools, and other officials.”
The 2012 inductees:
- Dr. Bruce Maurer, Dublin (BB, FB)
- Mr. Michael R. Wolf, Columbus (Base, VB)
- Mr. George F. "Bud" Hardesty, Zanesville (Base, BB, FB, SB)
- Mr. Warren L. Hood, Martins Ferry (Base, BB)
- Ms. Beverly R. Little, Zanesville (BB, Sw, VB)
- Ms. Cynthia Czarny, Avon Lake (BB, VB)
- Mr. Howard Eckert, Willoughby (BB, FB)
- Mr. Robert H. Spangler, Barberton (Base, BK, FB, SB, VB)
- Mr. James H. Desmond, Temperance (BB)
- Mr. Lyle J. Smith, Fremont (Wr)
- Mr. Joe R. Abernathy, Chillicothe (T&F)
- Mr. Glen Schmidt, Highland Hts. (Base, BB, FB, SB, T&F)
- Mr. Neal B. Charske, Kettering (T&F)
- Mr. Daniel J. Koterba, Cincinnati (BB)