STATE TRACK & FIELD
2013 TEAM HANDBOOK
REQUIRED SPRING SEASON DOCUMENTS
Important Team Rules
1. Consistent Practice Attendance: Each athlete is expected to attend all practices. Every effort must be made to schedule time so that there are no conflicts with daily practice. If a valid reason for missing practice exists (illness or emergency), the athlete must notify the coach prior to the practice that will be missed. MISSING PRACTICE WITHOUT PRIOR NOTIFICATION WILL RESULT IN SPECIFIC CONSEQUENCES FOR EACH ABSENCE:
2. Punctuality: Each athlete is expected to arrive to practice and competitions on time and ready to run. SECOND TIME LATE WILL RESULT IN CAMPUS CLEAN-UP. IF LATENESS BECOMES CHRONIC YOU WILL BE DROPPED FROM THE TEAM.
3. Practice Apparel: Each athlete is required to wear RUNNING SHOES, SHORTS, TOPS, & SWEAT PANTS to practice. Sweat Pants will be worn for warm-up, stretching, and drills every day regardless of weather.
4. Meet Uniforms: Team uniforms, sweats & team shirts are to be worn at all competitions. Athletes are expected to step off the bus wearing sweats and team shirts! Sweats & team shirts shall remain on at all times before and after your races! This is important for warming-up, mental focus, team unity, & intimidating our opponents. WASHING INSTRUCTIONS: Wash in cold, hang dry! DO NOT PUT IN DRYER!
5. Athlete Conduct: Track & Field Team members represent the premier athletic program at NUHS. They are representatives of the school and the community. Each athlete is responsible for continuing our tradition of exemplary conduct. Support your teammates, make a positive contribution to the sport, and act responsibly in every situation. Problems must be handled in a mature and rational manner. Communication with your coach is essential.
6. Transportation to and from Competition: Team policy regarding student-athlete transportation will be followed WITHOUT exception! This policy is as follows: Athletes transported from NUHS to an away competition via district bus must also return to NUHS via district bus or be released to their legal guardian at the competition site. Athletes will not be released to anyone other than a legal guardian. Friends, relatives, neighbors, etc., are NOT legal guardians. Team policy further requires that any athlete not returning to NUHS with the team via district bus give the head coach written notification and visual confirmation of the presence of a legal guardian before departure. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE PROCEDURES WILL RESULT IN SUSPENSION FROM THE TEAM. Please remember Track & Field is a team sport, we EXPECT all athletes travel with the team. There are circumstances where an athlete may need to leave with their legal guardian.
REQUIRED ITEMS: The following items are required at all practices and competitions.
*** Spikes are not required for 7th & 8th Graders
Any Athlete will receive a varsity letter if they achieve any one of the following criteria:
1. Score on average 1 point in each varsity track meet throughout the season (12 meets = 12 points). Points scored in 9th grade, 10th grade, or JV meets do not count towards lettering.