��� Webster Outplays Marquette | Marquette Mustang Basketball Boys' Basketball | iHigh.com


Mustang Fandom

Player Planner

Meet the Mustangs

Mustang Camps

Hardwood Headlines

Mustangs in the Media

Roundball Records

Blasts From the Past


Home » Boys' Basketball News

Webster Outplays Marquette

December 29, 2012
Marquette Mustang Basketball

Coming off a 22-point defeat to the Mustangs three weeks ago in their own tournament, Webster Groves turned the tables today at Meramec by defeating a cold-shooting Marquette squad 47-43.

The effort-level early on was a harbinger of things to come.  An aggressive Statesmen team was winning the battle to loose balls, getting the ball to the basket and denying an impatient MHS team close looks at the bucket.  That strategy played to perfection as Marquette, after hitting their initial try at a three-pointer proceeded to take five of their next field goal attempts behind the arc.  By the time the quarter ended, Marquette was 1/7 from long-range and trailed 15-10.

Matt Hink converted inside to start the second quarter off a Sam Ploeger feed and that was it for field goals for the Mustangs in the period.  Of the remaining attempts from the field, all four were from behind the arc again and all found nothing but iron to extend the woes from three-point range to 1/11 for the half.  Two Hink free throws to go along with four by Brooks Gerrity were it for scoring in the half.  Combined with three turnovers to end the half, the shooting deficiencies led to a young Webster squad playing well leading it 28-18 at the half.

While the Mustangs didn’t exactly light it up in the second half, the offensive end was marginally better.  Gerrity hit a three midway through the third and that shot combined with field goals by Matt Hink and Dillon Jones were slowly but surely pulling the Mustangs closer.  The scoreboard showed a 32-27 lead for Webster as the Mustangs had held their opponents to a meager four points in the third quarter.

With just over 5:00 to go in the game, Webster STILL was on four total points for the half.  The Mustangs on the strength of Hink going to the free throw line (3/3) along with a traditional three-point play and a big trey by Tanner Stabenow had actually taken a 33-32 lead at this juncture in what could appropriately be called a “trip-to-the-dentist” game for fans of offensive basketball.  With the game’s momentum squarely in their hands though and an 11-minute stretch of controlling the game defensively, the Mustangs inexplicably became the team to unravel against a Statesmen squad with a large contingent of sophomores dotting their lineup.  A defensive miscue allowed Webster to take the ball directly to the hoop to put them back in the lead and the Statesmen proceeded to nail their next three shots to go up seven.  Of their final nine attempts from the field, Marquette attempted six from behind the arc and were only able to hit on one late to finish the ballgame 4/23 from long-distance and 13/43 overall in another reminder of the importance of shooting in this game.  The young Statesmen were able to take advantage of 14 of their game total of 17 free throws being attempted in the final period and hit on 11 to nail down the four-point win and make a 26-point swing since the two team’s first meeting.

Marquette must wait until after New Year’s to take the court again.  Conference play awaits as the Mustangs will travel to Northwest for a frosh/soph/varsity tripleheader starting at 4:00 on Friday, January 4.

Leading Scorers:  Matt Hink-19, Brooks Gerrity-13.  Leading Rebounders:  Matt Hink-10, Sam Ploeger-4.  Leading Assists:  Chris Lenzen-4.

For game stats-click HERE

Tags Marquette Mustang Basketball • Publisher
Rate This Article
Thanks for rating this article!
Share This Article