��� Marquette Advances at Meramec | Marquette Mustang Basketball Boys' Basketball | iHigh.com


Mustang Fandom

Player Planner

Meet the Mustangs

Mustang Camps

Hardwood Headlines

Mustangs in the Media

Roundball Records

Blasts From the Past


Home » Boys' Basketball News

Marquette Advances at Meramec

December 27, 2012
Marquette Mustang Basketball

In a contest that was close throughout between clubs that more than mirrored each other in terms of not only talent but style of play, the Mustangs were able to overcome a very good Vianney squad to the tune of a 52-49 win and earn a ticket to the Meramec Tourney quarterfinals.

Vianney was the hot team early on as they broke out to a 6-0 early advantage.  A Brooks Gerrity three trimmed that lead in half and Chris Lenzen converted two free throws to cut the lead to a single point before the Griffins answered again and took an 8-5 lead.  Brooks hit again from long-range to tie it before Vianney stretched the lead back out to five at 13-8.  A late Lenzen trey made it 13-11 after a period.

With no two-pointers to their credit, it was up to the Mustang point guard, Dillon Jones, to break that streak a minute into the second quarter off of an offensive rebound.  Brooks nailed a pull-up 14-footer to give his team their first lead before the Mustangs hit a scoreless three-trip skid.  The most productive part of the first half followed though for the Mustangs as Matt Hink scored on a nifty reverse lay-in which was followed by three-pointers by Gerrity again and Dillon Jones off a great baseline drive and dish by Lenzen.  A couple of free throws by Gerrity and a post-up hook by Matt Hink ended a stretch for the Mustangs tallied 12 points in the last three minutes to take their largest lead of the game into the half at 27-20.

The third belonged to Vianney.  The Griffins scored on their first four possessions and MHS tried to keep pace.  While Vianney was pouring in buckets, Hink, Tanner Stabenow and Tanner again (this time from long-range), kept the Mustangs up by a point.  At that juncture though, the Marquette offense stalled while the Griffins began to roll.  While Marquette would score on only one of seven possessions, Vianney went from being down seven at the break to up three after three quarters, up 41-38.

With momentum squarely on Vianney’s side, it was important for the green-clad Mustangs to find an answer to the Griffin’s roll.  Brooks Gerrity tied the game in the first minute with a long three from the left wing off great team ball movement and Dillon Jones hit yet another three a minute later when the Mustangs trailed by three to tie it again.  At the 3:00 mark of the game, Vianney led the game by two when the Mustangs ended a run of eight straight attempts from beyond the arc with six straight trips featuring free throws.  Down the stretch, Marquette went to the line a dozen times, hitting on eight of their last 10 tries.  Even with the free throw roll by the Mustangs, Vianney had a shot at a long three to tie at the buzzer which fell just short and thus clinching a three-point win for Marquette.

The quarterfinal matchup will be against the #4 seed Washington.  The Blue Jays and Mustangs will tip off Friday, December 28 at 4:00. 

Leading Scorers:  Brooks Gerrity-18, Dillon Jones-12, Matt Hink-10.  Leading Rebounders:  Chris Lenzen-8, Hink-6, Jones-6.  Leading Assists:  Lenzen-7, Tanner Stabenow-3.  HARD HAT AWARD:  Brooks Gerrity.

For game stats-click HERE

For video highlights-click HERE

Tags Marquette Mustang Basketball • Publisher
Rate This Article
Thanks for rating this article!
Share This Article