Second Annual U.S. Army MO-KAN Classic All Star Senior Wrestling Dual to be held at Labette Community College on Monday, March 7
The meet features senior wrestlers from Southeast Kansas and Southwest Missouri and promises to be an exciting evening for area wrestling fans.
Parsons, KS, March 7, 2011: The second meeting of senior prep grapplers from southeast Kansas and southwest Missouri is set to take place Monday, March 7, at 6:30 p.m. at the gymnasium on the campus of Labette Community College. U.S. Army MO-KAN Classic All Star Senior Wrestling Dual admission price is $5, and tickets may be purchased the evening of the event. Packing the house with fans from both Missouri and Kansas is likely to be the result of this year’s match-up according to organizers. It should be an enjoyable, sporting event in this area for wrestling enthusiasts and a chance to cheer for one’s home state team.
The Missouri - Kansas border competition will match-up 34 wrestlers in the following weight divisions:
• 112 lbs. - State qualifier and two-time state placer with a fifth-place and 2011 state championship, Colt Skillman (37-1), from Burlington High School, will go head-to-head with Joplin High School senior Brycen Miner (21-6). Miner is a three time state qualifier placing fifth in 2010.
• 112 lbs. – Fourth-place Missouri medalist in 2011, Devin Graville (35-8) from Reeds Spring High School, will meet Nate Hudson (38-8), from Caney Valley High School.
• 119 lbs. – Jake Gentzler (36-1) from Andover Central High School, a four-time state finalist with three state championships, faces off with Tanner Schaack (36-20) from Neosho High School who recently placed sixth at the Missouri state level.
• 125 lbs. – Michael Vander Linden (39-5) from Burlington High School has been successful at Kansas state competition by placing fourth in 2010 and within the top eight at 130 lbs. in 2011. Meeting Vander Linden on the mat will be Ty Balty (27-16) from Logan-Rogersville High School who is a state qualifier in 2010 and a two-time COC Champion.
• 130 lbs. – Two time state qualifier, Waynesville High School senior Richie Nedlic (31-17), faces off with Kyle Johnson (33-4) from Columbus High School. Johnson has placed four times at the Kansas state competition by bringing home one fifth-place finish and three second-place honors.
• 130 lbs. – Joplin High School senior Brent Eagles (14-6) faces off with Tim Wrestler (30-5) from Chanute High School. Wrestler has placed three times at the Kansas state competition by bringing home one sixth-place honor, one fourth-place finish, and one third-place medal.
• 135 lbs. – Troy Clark (39-10) advanced to the state level three times with a third-place medal in 2011. Clark is a senior at Chanute High School. Clark’s opponent is Missouri four time state medalist, Carter Boatright (48-5) from Neosho High School, who has a fourth-place finish, a third-place finish, and two championships to his credit.
• 140 lbs. – Derby High School senior, Bradley Little (38-1), competed three years at the state level with a third-place finish, a second-place honor, and a championship in 2011. His “Show Me State” opponent is Aaron Starnes (39-11) from Lebanon High School, a state runner up in 2011.
• 145 lbs. – Gabriel Asano (33-7) is a senior at Waynesville High School. Asano placed sixth in 2010 and won the title of champion in 2011. His competition will be B.T. O’Hara (27-5) from Columbus High School. O’Hara competed two times at the KSHSAA Wrestling Tournament medaling both times with third finishes.
• 145 lbs. - Ethan Davis (39-0) is a Monett High School senior grappler. He is a four-time state finalist with three state championships. His competition will be Nick Collins (28-5) from Augusta High School. Collins competed two times at the KSHSAA Wrestling Tournament medaling both times with a fourth-place and a championship.
• 152 lbs. – Emporia High School senior, Chase Sanchez (33-2), placed third in 2009 and 2010, and he brought home the gold with a state championship in 2011. His opponent is Neosho High School’s Payne Hatter (50-5) who is a two-time Missouri state competitor with both a third-place (2010) and fifth-place (2011) to his credit.
• 160 lbs. - District champ Chase Espinosa (42-8) from Neosho High School won third-place at the state tourney in 2011. In addition, he placed fifth at the Fall Brawl. Espinosa’s Kansas opposer is Jake Hattabaugh (36-2) from Andale High School. Hattabaugh’s competed three times at the high school state wresting tournament resulting in a sixth-place finish with two championships to his name.
• 171 lbs. – Brandon Delancy (30-5) from Augusta High School is a two-time state qualifier. Squaring-off with Delancy is Zac Schnieder (35-16) from Lebanon High School. Schnieder was the 2010 Ozark Conference Champ and a Missouri state medalist at sixth-place in 2011.
• 171 lbs. – Channing Hosey (31-5) from Labette County High School placed fourth in 2011 in the state tournament. Hosey will wrestle Blake Stauffer (52-0) from Neosho High School. Stauffer is a three-time Missouri state finalist with two state championships.
• 189 lbs. – Dallas Smith (50-2) from Neosho High School is a four-time state qualifier with two fourth-place finishes and one state championship in 2011. Smith’s rival for this match-up is Fredonia High School’s, Thomas Durham (38-11), a three-time state qualifier.
• 215 lbs. – Thomas Lowe (24-5) from Eureka Jr.-Sr. High School competed twice at the state level with two fourth-place finishes. Lowe and his opponent, Wyatt Byrd (31-15), will meet in the 215 battle. Byrd is a senior at Lebanon High School who was the 2011 district champion and qualified for state.
• 285 lbs. – Riley Plew (45-9) is a senior at Neosho High School. His wresting honors include three trips to the state tournament. He is matched up with Caney Valley High School’s senior, Dakota Denny (43-3). Dakota placed three times at the state level bringing home two-sixth places finishes and more recently, a fifth-place medal in 2011.
Coaches for Team Missouri are Jeremy Phillips, Neosho High School; Dustin Martin, Nixa High School; and Daryl Bradley, Monett High School. Team Kansas coaching staff consists of Brandon Terry, Augusta High School; Doug Vander Linden, Burlington High School; and Eric Napier, Columbus High School.