McGill-Toolen survived an expected challenge by Daphne on Friday night.
Spanish Fort quickly put to rest any thoughts of a close game at Fairhope.
The two teams remained 1-2 in this week’s Coastal Alabama Top 10, a ranking of football teams in the area regardless of classification.
McGill rallied to beat Daphne 28-24, while the Toros rolled over Fairhope 38-14.
Both remain unbeaten as are No. 3 Murphy, No. 4 Jackson and No. 5 Saraland.
Blount re-entered the rankings after an impressive win over rival Vigor, which fell out of the top 10 for the first time this year.
1. (1) McGill-Toolen (5-0) Yellow Jackets escape their closest call of the season with a 28-24 comeback win over Daphne.
2. (2) Spanish Fort (5-0) Toros’ win streak now at 14 after an impressive victory at Class 6A Eastern Shore rival Fairhope.
3. (4) Murphy (5-0) Panthers beat LeFlore on Thursday to quietly remain undefeated.
4. (5) Jackson (5-0) Matthew Jordan continues impressive season with 373 all-purpose yards, two TDs at Class 6A Foley.
5. (6) Saraland (5-0) Spartans off to best start in brief four-year history blasted winless Mary G. Montgomery last week.
6. (9) St. Paul’s (4-1) Saints have won four straight games but face their biggest test this week when they host defending 5A champ Spanish Fort.
7. (NR) Blount (4-1) Demetries Vaughan, Delorean Bethay each ran for well over 100 yards as the Leopards snapped a 14-game losing streak to Vigor.
8. (10) UMS-Wright (4-1) UMS got a spark from the return of tailback Troy Dixon and held off another gritty effort by Bayside Academy.
9. (3) Fairhope (4-1) After four impressive wins to open the season, Pirates were dominated on offense and defense by No. 2 Spanish Fort.
10. (8) Daphne (3-2) Trojans’ only losses this season have come by two points to No. 2 Spanish Fort and four points to No. 1 McGill-Toolen.
(previous week's ranking in parentheses)