STATE CHAMPS STORE
Moeller Wrestling Update
May 28, 2013Cincinnati Moeller High School
From Jeff Gaier, Head Wrestling Coach
MOELLER WRESTLING UPDATE 5-28-2013
It is with great sadness that we are letting you know that Vince Sylvester '78, former Moeller Wrestling coach, an alumnus, former teacher (phys ed/1983-86), passed away this past weekend after battling cancer. Please pray for his wife Debi, his son Vito (Moeller Class of 2006), and his daughters Gina and Angie. Friends are invited to attend a memorial gathering at Archbishop Moeller High School, 9001 Montgomery Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242 on Tuesday, May 28 (tonight), from 5-8 PM in the Gym.
SUMMER TRAINING SESSIONS FOR ALL MOELLER WRESTLERS
With the wrestling team not making the trip to Disney this year, the team will conduct summer training sessions in the wrestling room on Wednesday nights in June and July. All returning and incoming Moeller wrestlers should attend. These sessions will include drilling, instruction, and live wrestling. Details:
Dates: Wednesday June 5, 12, 19, 26, July 3, 10, 17, 24
Time: 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. (please be on time)
Location: Moeller Wrestling Room
Note: all wrestlers are expected to attend these sessions. If unable to attend, please send a note to Coach Gaier. FIRST TRAINING SESSION IS WEDNESDAY, JUNE 5 AT 6:30 P.M.
SUMMARY FROM WRESTLING PARENT / BOOSTER MEETING ON MONDAY, MAY 13
Here is a summary of the most recent Wrestling / Parent Booster Meeting:
• Update on Spring Wrestling (Ironclad, Prodigy)
• No Disney for 2013 (the costs of the trip have increased beyond the team’s budget)
• Team Drill Sessions will be on Wednesday nights 6:30-8 p.m. beginning June 5 (see note below)
• Statement was made on the recent Harlem Shake Video
• Update given on service work with Cincinnati Center for Autism
• Reminder about Sports Physicals at Beacon. Next one July 21 (Beacon Summit Woods). Cost $20.
LOCKER ROOM / WRESTLING ROOM OVERHALL
• New flooring for will be installed in the Locker Room in June. We will be looking for volunteer help for painting prior to the installation. A note will be sent out when dates are confirmed.
• Cleaning and painting of the wrestling room will start in August after summer camps.
• Next Major Facilities Project: replacement of wrestling room mats (cost ~28k)
2013-2014 WRESTLING SCHEDULES
• Varsity – new events: Clash, Glen Este Dual (home)
• Varsity “B” – new events: Wyoming Duals
• Frosh – new events: Cavalier Reserve
Note: GMC boycott is still in place. There is some hope for a resolution this summer. If so, some of our travel burdens could be reduced.
WRESTLING GOLF OUTING (THURSDAY, SEPT 12TH)
One of the wrestling program’s major fund-raisers is the annual golf outing. This year’s outing will be Thursday, Sept. 12 at Blue Ash Golf Course. To be successful we need sponsors, golfers (goal of 80), prizes and volunteers. The online registration will be available in June. For more information: 2013 Golf Outing Flyer.
With a tighter budget for this upcoming season, this fund-raiser is extremely important if we are going to continue to maintain the quality of our program.
NEW FUND-RAISING IDEAS
Due to a decrease in anticipated revenue for 2013-14, we are looking for new ideas for fund-raising. If you have input, please contact Coach Gaier.
MOELLER WRESTLING CAMP
We need help in promoting Moeller’s summer wrestling camp for participants in Grades 1-8. Proceeds from the camp help support the team’s needs for the upcoming season. Those interested can register online (http://www.moeller.org/athletics/athletics---summer-camps) or can mail in the camp flyer: Moeller Wrestling Camp
Josef Otmar ‘08 was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Marine Corps on May 18th in a ceremony at the Blue Ash Veteran’s Memorial. Moeller wrestler and US Air Force’s Tim Uecker ’08 was on hand to swear in Joe. Congratulations Joe!
Pierce Harger ‘10 was named to the 2013 NWCA All-Academic Team. Please click here to get the article: NWCA All-Academic. Congratulations Pierce!