��� Lansdowne secure bonus point against UL Bohemians | Lansdowne Football Club Rugby | iHigh.com


Irish Rugby Football Union

General Rugby


Home » Rugby News

Lansdowne secure bonus point against UL Bohemians

November 20, 2012
Lansdowne Football Club

Lansdowne secure bonus point against UL Bohemians

Lansdowne FC 36

UL Bohemians 13

By Tom Rooney


Lansdowne’s last outing may have gone to the wire, but this one was never in question; scoring five tries on the Aviva Stadium back pitch, securing a vital bonus point and moving two points clear of Garryowen at the top of the table.

A visibly smaller UL were unable to cope with the hard running of Craig Ronaldson and Tom Daly and were overwhelmed by Lansdowne’s ferocity in the contact area.

UL drew first blood after six minutes, punishing Lansdowne for a lethargic start. Niall Keneally broke in midfield from off the top line out ball, and after some quick recycles down the blindside Rory White went over in the corner. Ben Martin added the points.

This woke Lansdowne from their indifference and they went about their business. Craig Ronaldson endeavoured to run the ball as much as possible, combining invention and ballast in equal measure. Lock Marc Feeley went over first for the home side after some prolonged phase play, which had been facilitated by the faultless passing of scrum half Paddy O’Driscoll.

Ben Martin’s penalty doubled UL’s lead, however, it was also the final time they would enjoy this position. 

Although game, Bohs had no answer for Lansdowne’s ball carriers, and were defensively porous, finding themselves almost constantly on the back foot. Offensively they were content to play a territory game that, ultimately, was negated by a failure to utilize their set-piece.

Craig Ronaldson’s converted try ended the game as a genuine contest. Ronaldson found touch with a penalty just inside UL’s twenty-two, Steve Collins hit Charlie Butterworth at the front of the line out, and the pack mauled over the five metre line. O’Driscoll then found Ronaldson, who evaded two defenders before touching down. 

The league leaders continued to come in waves through the midfield, but may have been better served going wide from time to time, given how stretched the opposition were.

That said this approach was the catalyst for Sean Carey’s outstanding try. After bashing his way into UL territory flanker Clive Ross found No 8 Ron Boucher after an outrageous dummy, Boucher’s reverse bucket pass was gathered by the oncoming Carey, completing the move. Ronaldson added the points.

Ben Martin’s penalty on the stroke of halftime made it a one-score game, in name only.

The second half was, for long periods of time, in a state of torpor. Despite enjoying the lion’s share of possession and territory, Lansdowne’s concentration lapsed, resulting in unforced handling errors particularly inside the UL danger zone. The visitors were completely devoid of any guile, and failed to register a point for the remainder of the game.

Lansdowne upped their intensity once more and began to dominate the breakdown; UL’s desperation to stay competitive led to indiscipline. 

Craig Ronaldson’s penalty hit the upright and was retrieved by Clive Ross, Lansdowne sprayed the ball from right to left and back before top try scorer Cian Aherne touched down in the corner. Ronaldson sent over the conversation from the most acute of angles.

UL enjoyed a purple patch of sorts in the final ten minutes, even launching an admirable attack in the dying moments. But alas, Lansdowne turned them over, and Aherne added insult to injury running from his own twenty-two to score under the posts.

Referee: Paul Haycock (IRFU)

Tags Lansdowne Football Club • Publisher
Rate This Article
Thanks for rating this article!
Share This Article  
» Be the first to leave a comment
Comments (0)