��� O'Fallon tops Collinsville on PKs in IHSA Regional Action | Collinsville High School Boys' Soccer | iHigh.com







Home » Boys' Soccer News

O'Fallon tops Collinsville on PKs in IHSA Regional Action

October 17, 2012
By Chris Kusnerick of Collinsville High School

COLLINSVILLE • They had to wait a little longer than  they anticipated, but the O'Fallon soccer team was still able to enjoy a victory  celebration Tuesday night.

Collinsville (9-9-1) scored in the final minute of the second half to send  the game into overtime, but after 20 minutes of overtime, O'Fallon prevailed 4-2  on penalty kicks to earn a 3-2 victory over the Kahoks in the semifinals of the  Class 3A Collinsville Regional.

"Our boys worked hard the whole game, and I thought we controlled the  majority of the play," O'Fallon coach Jason Turkington said. "Going into  overtime, it was a microcosm of our season.

"We've been telling these guys all year to keep fighting. Don't get too high  and don't get too low and just play hard."

The Panthers (6-4-7) will face top-seeded Belleville West in the championship  game at 6 p.m. Saturday. West defeated Belleville East 5-1 in the opening  game.

"You've to give the boys credit -- they fought hard to come back from a 1-0  deficit and from a 2-1 deficit late in the second half and gave us a chance to  at least try to win it," Collinsville coach Myles Hensler said. "It came down to  PKs, which are never the best way to go, but it's got to be decided somehow, and  unfortunately we came out on the losing side."

O'Fallon took a 1-0 lead with 24:23 remaining in the first half on what  looked to be a crossing pass by Andrew Derby. The ball deflected off a  Collinsville defender and into the net past Kahoks goalkeeper Jason  Kusnerick.

Collinsville tied the game with 13:11 to play in the half, as Brandon  Belobraydic beat O'Fallon goalie Steve Green from 20 yards out off a throw-in  from Brendan Rosenberg.

O'Fallon regained the lead with 33:10 remaining in the second half. Derby  raced in down the right side past the Collinsville defenders and scored from 10  yards out on a tough angle. The assist went to Levi Knox.

"We haven't had a lot of scoring this year, so to get two in one game from  anybody is pretty good," Turkington said.

"The first goal was more of a cross, but I'll take what I can get," Derby  said. "On the second goal, I just focused on the shot, hit it hard and low, and  it went in."

With the clock ticking down, it looked like the Panthers were headed for a  victory. But with 32 seconds left, Tyler Devine put the ball into the right  corner of the net after a throw-in by Rosenberg.

"Our heart, our passion and our work ethic was good, but the boys could have  done a little better with their composure and trying to keep the ball a little  more throughout spurts of the game," Hensler said. "We have a pretty young team,  and for some guys, it was their first postseason game."

Neither team had many scoring chances in the two 10-minute overtimes, which  sent the game into penalty kicks. The first two kickers, Collinsville's Cody  Santfleben and O'Fallon's Zach Hall, both scored. But in the second round,  Collinsville's Devine put his shot over the crossbar, while Derby scored for  O'Fallon.

Both third-round shooters scored -- Belobraydic for Collinsville and Zach  Pierson for O'Fallon -- with Pierson's shot bouncing off Kusnerick's hands.

In round four, Green made a diving save off Collinsville shooter Rosenberg.  Kusnerick again got a piece of the shot by O'Fallon's Pat Burke, but the ball  went into the net to clinch the win for the Panthers.

"We said it's a new game -- we're ready to go, and we're going to restart,"  Derby said. "What happened (with Devine's goal) is over, and we're going to come  back and win it."

Tags Collinsville High School • Publisher
Rate This Article
Thanks for rating this article!
Share This Article