MEN'S TENNIS ADVANCES TO CONFERENCE SEMI'S WITH 4-0 WIN
April 26, 2014HOOSIER SPORTS 365
DENVER, Col. – The men's tennis team made quick work of their quarterfinal -round opponent Western Illinois, defeating them 4-0 to advance to the Summit League Tournament semifinals.
This was the second time the Jaguars played the Leathernecks this year, and the Jaguars defeated them both teams without surrendering a point.
Just one game in, Patick O'Neill yelled out to let everyone know No. 1 doubles had just gotten their break, but it would be the first of many. O'Niell and Alex Toliver wouldn't get the win though because No. 2 and No. 3 doubles finished faster. Jacob Bradley and Thomas Gans won in the second spot 8-4 and Jason Jaruvang and Akshay Verma won in the third yielding just one game.
Singles played out very similarly, essentially a race to the finish. The Jaguars took the first set in all six matches, and were in control of the second in each as well. Bradley, Verma and O'Neill were the first three to finish, clinching the match.
For the second time Friday, Toliver missed out on a win since his match wasn't among the first to finish. His performance was still impressive though. He finished with 27 winners, three times as many as his opponent, and won all three of his break-chance points.
Head coach Brandon Currie told the team before the match that a fast start was critical to kill any chance of a Western Illinois upset. The Jaguars did just that and took care of business.
Currie told the team something similar in the hotel afterwards, that a fast start will be critical in pulling off the upset in the semifinals Saturday against Denver. A fast start will be important for a different reason though; the Pioneers haven't lost the doubles point all year and dropping the point in their first match of the tournament could cast some doubt and hurt their confidence, giving the Jaguars an opening.
IUPUI 4 – Western Illinois 0
1. Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) vs. Christoph Haertel (WIU) 6-3, 5-1 unfinished
2. Alex Toliver (IUPUI) vs. Mitch Granger (WIU) 6-4, 4-3 unfinished
3. Thomas Gans (IUPUI) vs. Max Ceerkall (WIU) 6-3, 3-2 unfinished
4. Jacob Bradley (IUPUI) def. Brandon Meeker (WIU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Akshay Verma(IUPUI) def. Chris Bunch (WIU) 6-2, 6-0
6. Patrick O'Neill (IUPUI) def. Brett Furmanski (WIU) 6-2, 6-1
1. Alex Toliver/Patrick O'Neill (IUPUI) vs. Christoph Haertel/Max Ceerkall (WIU) 7-3 unfinished
2. Jacob Bradley/Thomas Gans (IUPUI) def. Mitch Granger/Brandon Meeker (WIU) 8-4
3. Akshay Verma/Jason Jaruvang (IUPUI) def. Chris Bunch/Brett Furmanski (WIU) 8-1
Western Illinois (2-16)
Order: Doubles (3,2); Singles (4,6,5)