Game Notes: Softball Set to Face #4 Michigan, Wisconsin
April 23, 2014HOOSIER SPORTS 365
Wednesday, April 23
Friday, April 25?
Saturday, April 26
Sunday, April 27
The Book on the Boilermakers
Last Time Out:The Boilermakers won the season series with Illinois 2-1. Purdue took the first two games 11-0 (5) and 1-0, but fell 3-2 in the finale.
Statistically Speaking: Outfielder Andie Varsho leads the Boilermaker bats with a .448 average, 40 runs, 13 doubles and 22 stolen bases. Six other starters are batting .250 or better. Designated player Katy McJunkin (.371), catcher Danielle Fletcher (.354), first baseman Ashley Burkhardt (.347), infielder Tori Chiodo (.336), catcher/outfielder Maia Monchek (.277) and outfielder Lindsey Rains(.269) round out the group. Fletcher has driven in 34 RBI, while registering eight home runs and 11 doubles. Burkhardt has driven in a team-best 36 RBI and boasts 12 doubles and eight home runs. Chiodo has driven in 35 RBI and scored 27 runs, while also launching seven home runs and stealing seven bases. Rains adds 19 RBI, 22 runs, three homers and eight steals. As a team, the Boilers are batting .308 with 34 home runs and 56 stolen bases.
In the circle, the Purdue staff has combined for 247 strikeouts in 298 innings. Sophomore Lilly Fecho (18-10) has done the bulk of the pitching, striking out 169 batters in 171 innings, including 22 complete games. Junior Lexy Moore (4-9) has added 48 Ks in 72 innings, while junior Alex Whittemore (2-2) has issued 19 Ks in 38 innings, including a complete-game no-hitter. Senior Lauren Granthas struck out 11 batters in 16 innings.
Wisconsin (Purdue leads the series 25-15): The Boilermakers won the first seven meetings in the series with the Badgers, which began on April 6, 1996. Wisconsin countered, taking eight of the next 11 from 1998 to 2002. Purdue snapped the streak with three straight wins. The teams split the next eight games from 2004 to 2007. The Boilers have taken eight of the last 11 games, including a four-game streak in 2008 and 2009. The teams did not play in 2013, but Purdue won the 2012 series 2-1. Purdue is 15-8 vs. the Badgers in West Lafayette, 9-7 in Madison and 1-0 in neutral games.
What a Difference a Win Makes ...
• They will move to 25-20-1 on the season and 12-4 in Big Ten play. The 12-4 start will mark Purdue's best Big Ten start in program history (previous 11-5 in 2012).
• They will match the program's Feb. 7, 2009, win over No. 4 UCLA as the highest ranked foe ever defeated by a Purdue softball team.
• They will record the program's first win over Michigan since 2006, snapping a 16-game streak.
• They will have won the opener of each of their first six conference series in 2014. (Purdue has won all five Big Ten series thus far in 2014.
• They will move to 221-202-2 all-time in the month of April, including a 9-8 mark when playing on April 23.