Valpo Set to Open CIT Play Tuesday
March 18, 2014HOOSIER SPORTS 365
VALPO BASKETBALL RELEASE
Valparaiso (18-15, 9-7 Horizon)
First Round - 2014 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament
Tuesday, March 18 - 7:05 p.m.
Columbia (19-12, 8-6 Ivy)
Athletics-Recreation Center (5,000) - Valparaiso, Ind.
Next Up in Crusader Basketball: Valparaiso opens its fourth consecutive postseason appearance on Tuesday evening, as the Crusaders host Columbia in the first round of the 2014 CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament. This marks Valpo’s second appearance in the CIT, as Valpo was previously extended a bid in 2011.
Last Time Out: The Crusaders were unable to overcome a hot start from the floor by Milwaukee on March 7 in the second round of the 2014 Horizon League Championship, falling to the fifth-seeded Panthers by a final score of 74-57. Milwaukee scored 15 points in the game’s first 3:16, including four 3-pointers, to put Valpo behind for good. Alec Peters scored a team-high 18 points, going 7-of-12 from the floor.
Following the Crusaders: Audio - Valpo Sports Radio Network (WVUR, 95.1 FM, Valparaiso; WEFM, 95.9 FM, Michigan City; WJOB, 1230 AM, Hammond) - Todd Ickow (PxP) and David Huseman (Color)
Video - Available at WatchCollegeInsider.com
Links for the live video, as well as live stats, will be available at ValpoAthletics.com.
Head Coach Bryce Drew: Bryce Drew (66-35) is in his third season at the helm of the Valparaiso men’s basketball program in 2013-14. Over his first two-plus seasons, Drew has led the Crusaders to 66 victories, including a school-record 26 last season, as well as two Horizon League regular season titles and one tournament championship. The 2012 HL Coach of the Year, Drew ascended to the head coaching position on May 17, 2011 after spending six seasons as an assistant and associate head coach with the Crusaders.
Series Notes: This will be just the third all-time meeting between Valpo and Columbia, with the two squads splitting the two prior matchups. The most recent meeting came in Laie, Hawaii on Dec. 21, 2001, a 71-55 Crusader victory as Valpo was led by 17 points (11-14 FT) and six rebounds from Raitis Grafs. Tony Falu added 14 points off the bench, while Mike Nelke chipped in 11. Tuesday will mark the first time Valpo has hosted an Ivy League institution since Dec. 18, 1993, a 100-54 win over Dartmouth.
About the CIT
- This is the sixth year of existence for the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, which started in 2009.
- The tournament features a 32-team field, oriented towards mid-major institutions.
- The tournament does not feature a traditional bracket, instead determining future matchups by the results of previous rounds.
- All games are held on campus sites.
- Five different teams have won the first five CITs, including East Carolina in 2013.
- @ValpoBasketball previously earned a CIT bid in 2011, dropping a first-round game at home to Iona (85-77).
Valpo in the Postseason
- This marks the fourth consecutive season that @ValpoBasketball has earned a spot in a postseason tournament.
- The streak started with the 2011 CIT berth, followed by NIT (2012) and NCAA (2013) appearances.
- This year’s CIT bid goes down as Valpo’s 13th postseason appearance in the last 19 seasons.
- The Crusaders are looking for their first postseason win since 2008, when they won at Washington in the first round of the CBI.