Hoosiers Hit the Road for Cleveland State
December 21, 2013HOOSIER SPORTS 365
INDIANA PRESS RELEASE
THE OPENING TIP
Indiana will hit the road to take on Cleveland State at the Wolstein Center on Saturday, Dec. 21. The game is scheduled to tip at 2 p.m. ET and can be heard on WHCC 105.1 FM in Bloomington with Jeremy Gray on the call. The contest is also available as a live web stream via CSUVikings.com.
DID YOU KNOW?
• Indiana's 11-0 record to begin the season is the program's first perfect start through 11 games since the beginning of the 1992-93 season and it is just the third time ever in program history an IU team has started a season 11-0.
• IU received votes in this week's AP Top 25 Poll (Dec. 16), a program first since 2008-09.
• The Hoosiers are the only Big Ten team with an unblemished record.
• With winning 11 non-conference games this season, it ties for the most non-Big Ten wins in school history as IU won 11 games two times, last in 2006-07 (11-2) and in 1998-99 (11-3).
• Indiana is in the midst of a three-game road trip and is the only Big Ten team that will play three straight true road games in a row this season and IU will play more true road games than any other team in the conference this year.
• In the latest NCAA statistics rankings (games through Dec. 16), IU was sixth in the country in fewest turnovers committed per game (11.5) and ranks first in that category among Big Ten teams.
• With the win at IUPUI, Curt Miller improved to 22-19 at Indiana since becoming head coach, in the two seasons prior to his arrival, the Hoosiers were just 15-44.
• Indiana leads the conference and is 11th nationally in 3-point field goal percentage defense as IU is limiting opponents to shoot just 24.4 percent from beyond the arc.
• First year players have accounted for 70.9 percent of Indiana's total points this season.
• Larryn Brooks ranks fourth among freshmen nationally and is fourth overall in the Big Ten in scoring, averaging 19.2 points per game.
Career Record: 280-111 (13th year)
Indiana record: 22-19 (2nd year)
Kate Peterson Abiad
Career Record: 136-181 (11th year)
Cleveland State Record: 136-181 (11th year)
CLEVELAND STATE AT A GLANCE
Cleveland State plays in the Horizon League and has played three common opponents with Indiana (at Butler, Morehead State, IUPUI). The Vikings have won two of their last three games, including a road win at New Hampshire last time out. As a team, CSU is coring 71.4 points per game. On the defensive end, Cleveland State is forcing opponents into 20.2 turnovers per game and is grabbing 10.1 steals per contest. The Vikings have four players averaging double figure points led by Imani Gordon's 16.2 ppg. She also leads the team with 8.7 rpg. Kiersten Green shoots 43.5 percent from 3-point range and scores 15.4 ppg. Haley Schmitt leads the team shooting 50 percent from long distance and adds 11.7 ppg. Cori Coleman is scoring 11.2 ppg.
FIRST 11-0 START SINCE 1992, THIRD TIME EVER
Indiana improved to 11-0 with its 51-45 win at IUPUI on Dec. 15, marking the program's best start to a season since the beginning of the 1992-93 campaign when IU started 11-0. It is just the third time in program history that the Hoosiers have started 11-0 (1992-93, 1971-72). IU is the only Big Ten team with an undefeated record.
VOTES IN THE AP TOP 25 POLL
For the first time since the 2008-09 season, Indiana received votes in latest Associated Press Top 25 Poll (Dec. 16). The Hoosiers tied for the 33rd most votes in the country with four.
HOOSIERS TIE FOR MOST NON-CONFERENCE WINS EVER
With its 11th non-conference victory of the season over IUPUI on Dec. 15, Indiana tied for the most non-Big Ten wins in school history. Twice Indiana has won 11 non-conference games, last in 2006-07 (11-2) and in 1998-99 (11-3). Big Ten play for women's basketball began during the 1982-83 season.
HOOSIERS MATCH LAST YEAR'S WIN TOTAL BY MID DECEMBER
Indiana's 11th win of the year is also significant because it matches the entire win total from the 2012-13 season (11-19), and that feat was accomplished by Dec. 15 this season. IU last won more than 11 games during the 2009-10 campaign.
THE LINE HAS BEEN KIND
In a tight game at IUPUI, the Hoosiers took advantage of getting to the free throw line and shot their best percentage in a game this season, shooting 84.6 percent (22-of-26) against the Jaguars. Indiana nailed its last 11 free throws in a row down the stretch to get the victory. IU has shot 80 percent or better in three of the last four games.
ON THE ROAD AGAIN
The Hoosiers are in the midst of a three-game road trip. After topping IUPUI, Indiana heads to Cleveland State on Dec. 21 and then Xavier on Dec. 29. IU is the only Big Ten team that will play three straight true road games during the 2013-14 regular season. The Hoosiers also play more true road games this year than any other team in the conference. By the end of the month, IU will have played six true road games in non-conference play, more than any Big Ten team.