W: IHSWCA Team Duals State Championship Dec. 22 at Westfield
December 21, 2012By E. Shawn Aylsworth of Hoosier Authority
By E. Shawn Aylsworth
Two-time defending state champion Perry Meridian headlines a list of 24 teams selected to participate in the first Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches Association Team Duals State Championship.
The three-class tournament (sdmission is $10) is set for a 10 a.m. ET start Saturday, Dec. 22, at Westfield High School. Teams Duals State is the IHSWCA’s response to the IHSAA having disbanded the 17-year-old team tournament after Perry Meridian captured its second consecutive title at Center Grove in February.
The top-ranked Falcons lead a Class 3A field that includes No. 2 Evansville Mater Dei, No. 6 Franklin Community, No. 7 Penn, No. 8 Bloomington South, No. 13 Center Grove, and an opening-round match against No. 3 Indianapolis Cathedral.
Class 2A might be No. 10 Yorktown’s domain, though No. 19 Jimtown, No. 20 Danville, and Southmont could have a say there. And Class A features small-school powers Adams Central, Milan, Prairie Heights, Cass, Churubusco, and Bremen.
As always, stay tuned to HoosierAuthority.com for complete results, pictures, and video. HAPPY HOLIDAYS ?
General tournament info:
- 8 a.m. – Weigh-ins (all 24 teams)
- 10 a.m. – Round 1 (24 teams on 12 mats: four in main gym, eight in fieldhouse)
- 12 p.m. – Round 2 (24 teams on 12 mats)
- 2 p.m. – Round 3 (18 teams on nine mats wrestling for third- through eighth-place)
- 4 to 6 p.m. – Awards ceremony for teams placing third through eighth
- 6:30 p.m. – Finals (three duals – one per class – wrestling side-by-side in main gym)
- 8:30 p.m. Awards ceremony for first- and second-place teams in each class
- NOTE: All times are approximate and will depend on how each round flows.
The first-round lineup:
- 1 seed #1 Perry Meridian vs. #3 Indianapolis Cathedral
- 4 seed #7 Penn vs. Elkhart Memorial
- 3 seed #6 Franklin Community vs. #13 Center Grove
- 2 seed #8 Bloomington South vs. #2 Evansville Mater Dei
- 1 seed #10 Yorktown vs. Muncie South
- 4 seed #20 Danville vs. Heritage Hills
- 3 seed Evansville Memorial vs. Southmont
- 2 seed #19 Jimtown vs. Culver Academies
- 1 seed Adams Central vs. South Putnam
- 4 seed Milan vs. Prairie Heights
- 3 seed South Adams vs. Cass
- 2 seed Churubusco vs. Bremen