New Sport Equipment and Locker Room Procedure
March 23, 2013By Lewis Newman of Grimsley Senior High School
March 22, 2013
Parents/Students/Coaches and Fans!
In order to find a better way to assist our student athletes with the storage of their sport equipment backpacks, etc. Please see the new procedure that will be adopted immediately.
Please communicate the changes to the students and parents today and over the weekend, so that on Monday the procedure can begin.
Each Morning starting Monday:
- The PE staff will have the locker rooms open in the main gym.
- The PE staff will monitor and supervise the student athletes from 8:50-9:00 as they enter the main gym locker rooms.
- The student athletes will then place their sport equipment in the respective cages in the main gym locker rooms, (Male & Female)
- The PE teachers will then proceed to their normal day after securing the equipment.
Each Afternoon starting Monday:
- All coaches will need to report to the main gym prior to your practice or departure when appropriate.
- Locate a PE teacher (boys Simmons & Hunt, Girls –Janet Johnston).
- Have the PE teacher open the respective locker room and cage.
- It will be the coaches responsibility to supervise and monitor the student athletes as they arrive to get their equipment out of the cage.
- Once the student athletes have removed the equipment, relock the cage and inform the PE teacher that you have completed the process so they can lock up the locker room.
- The time to report for the coaches are 3:55-4:05 for practices or earlier if it is an early release.
- On a game day,(early dismissal) it will be the coaches responsibility to meet the student athletes at the respective cage at the appropriate time.
Things to considerate with this procedure:
- The morning and afternoon time slots are firm.
- The PE teachers will only be available from 8:50-9:00.
- The coaches will only be available from 3:55-4:05.
- Any student arriving after 9:00 will not have access to the cage.
- Any student arriving after 4:05 will not have access to the equipment.
- Student athletes that attend tutoring in the afternoon should report to the gym prior to tutoring to get their equipment.
- If equipment is not removed by 4:05 the cage will be closed.
- Coaches, please instruct the students to place their names on the bags to help prevent someone from taking the wrong bag or to help prevent theft.
- Please remember the times are firm and if students fail to arrive on time they may miss practice or access to their equipment.
- Please be reminded that loss or theft is not the responsibility of Grimsley High School.
In addition to the above all coaches should be reminded that the student athlete locker room assignments are as follows:
- Please realize that the below is not a new procedure. It is what we have always had set up since I arrived. Some have chosen not to use the areas. The only one that is new is the addition of cross country.
- *Please be reminded- All locker rooms must be supervised at all times!*
- From Monday forward, the aux. gym locker room is for female athletes only all year long. If you have any male student athletes in this area, please have them remove all items before Monday at 3:55. I will monitor this area and the locker rooms will be open and available at the same times as the other locker room areas.
- PE classes, weight lifting, advanced fitness, early morning football and all others should start using the main gym for locker rooms.
- In addition, any coach that has any items in the aux. gym locker room should remove them before Monday.
- Over spring break, I will clean and repair as much as possible in the aux. gym for the female athletes only.
Football – Home side only - field house
Cross Country –main gym (new for next year) Boys and girls.
Women’s tennis – aux. gym locker rooms.
Women’s golf – aux. gym locker rooms
Men’s soccer – visitors side of field house
Volleyball – visitor lockers in main gym
Cheer – main gym
Basketball – no change
Swim team – depends on pool situation. ( If pool open – girls in pool female locker room and boys in the main gym.)
Wrestling – main gym
Indoor track – field house
Spring (when field house is completed after spring break)
Baseball visitors side of field house
Softball –aux. gym
MLAX –home side field house
WLAX –aux. gym
Girls soccer – aux. gym
Track – main gym
Boys tennis – main gym
Thanks to all of you!
This procedure will take all of us working together to make it successful for the student athletes.
Lewis L. Newman,CAA
National Board Certified Athletic Administrator
Grimsley High School