South Oak Cliff High goes GREEN!
October 16, 2013By Twymeika Hill-Jones of South Oak Cliff High School
Our recycle bins, donated by U.S. Today & DISD Waste Management, are ready to be placed in classrooms and BEAR Green has more than twenty five students registered to participate in promoting a cleaner environment, on our campus, South Oak Cliff High!!!
It’s important to reuse and recycle! The benefits for recycling are numerous!
Did you know:
- Every ton of paper that is recycled save 17 trees;
- · The energy we save when we recycle one glass bottle is enough to light a light bulb for four hours.
- Recycling benefits the air and water by creating a net reduction in ten major categories of air pollutants and eight major categories of water pollutants.
- Recycling conserves natural resources, such as timber, water, and minerals.
- Every bit of recycling makes a difference. For example, one year of recycling on just one college campus, Stanford University, saved the equivalent of 33,913 trees and the need for 636 tons of iron ore, coal, and limestone.
- Recycling creates four jobs for every one job created in the waste management and disposal industries.
- Thousands of U.S. companies have saved millions of dollars through their voluntary recycling programs. They wouldn't recycle if it didn't make economic sense.
** Facts from http://www.recycling-revolution.com/recycling-benefits.html
There are many ways to recycle! Here at South Oak Cliff High, our faculty, staff and students participate in saving money and the environment by recycling Newspapers, Magazines, Paper, Cardboard, Aluminum Cans, Glass & Plastic Bottles, twice a week!
Join the Bear Green Team with our mission of promoting a cleaner environment, right from your own home!
- You may apply online at: http://www.dallascityhall.com/services/services.html and click “Recycling Roll Cart Registration” to receive your Free cart or Call your local recycling center at 311 to express your interest and receive your Recycling Roll Cart! Also inquire about the dates & time for recycle pick up.
- Have at least two waste bins in your home, one for recycling and the other for your regular garbage (things that are not recyclable)
- Once you receive your cart, you may visit: http://www.dallascityhall.com/sanitation/faqs_recycling.html to receive information about the types of items you are able to recycle and the things not to recycle. For example, you can recycle plastic and metal but not all plastic and metal! You cannot recycle aluminum foil, pie plates toys, etc! when it comes to plastic, you cannot recycle plastic bags, Styrofoam products, toys or chemical containers! So be sure to check the website for more details!
Have A Blessed and Environmentally Safe Every Day!
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, We borrow it from our children!
READ, REUSE, RECYCLE!!