GUIDANCE NEWS--SEPTEMBER, OCTOBER
September 5, 2012By Jeannie Cropp of Glasgow Schools
Guidance News--September, 2012 Newsletter
I am very excited about the 2012-13 school year at Glasgow. I would like to remind any parents to come visit with me if you have questions regarding your child, their four year plan and/or post high school goals.
There are a few items I would like to make you aware of this upcoming school year.
- September 26th, we will be taking a bus to the Mid Mo College Fair at the Hearnes Center. Juniors and Seniors that are academically eligible will be able to attend. Permission forms have been mailed home and are due back by September 21st.
- Junior/Senior Parent Night will be held September 26th at 7 pm in the Business Room. College-bound Juniors, Seniors and their parents would benefit from this evening. Topics include: college scholarship/financial aid awareness and college visit information.
- A representative from University of Central Missouri will be in the Guidance Office October 4th at 2:52 to visit with interested Juniors and Seniors.
- In October, the PLAN and PSAT tests will be offered to interested Sophomores and Juniors. Students planning to attend college should take these tests. The PLAN test (Sophomores) is good practice for the ACT assessment test your child must take their junior or senior year for college admission. The PLAN test also measures academic achievement, college readiness, and career interests. It will be given October 16th. The PSAT test (Juniors) is good practice for the SAT assessment. The SAT is also used by some colleges and universities for admission. It will be given October 17th. Both of these tests are only offered once per year. Interested students should be sure and sign up, however, there is a charge for each of these tests. Information concerning dates, locations and fees will be posted in my office and it has also been mailed to parents of Sophomore and Junior students.
- The Explore Academic Assessment will also be given to Freshmen October 18th. The Explore measures academic achievement. This assessment also helps students develop career goals and a program of studies for high school.
- First Quarter Mid term is September 18th. Mid term report cards will be sent home with all students by the end of the week.
- First Quarter ends October 19th. Report cards will be available for pick up during Parent/Teacher Conferences October 25th.
- A representative from Truman State University will be in the Guidance Office October 29th at 2:52 to visit with interested Juniors and Seniors.
Thank you for your time and interest in Glasgow School. I look forward to visiting with each of you this school year.