��� MAC SOCCER: Sunday's Women's Soccer Results | INDIANA SPORTS PAGE Women's Soccer | iHigh.com






Home » Women's Soccer News

MAC SOCCER: Sunday's Women's Soccer Results

September 1, 2014


Buffalo 1, Oakland 0
Toledo 1, Xavier 0
Kent State 1, Colorado 0
Central Michigan 0, Detroit 0
Ball State 2, Morehead State 2
Seattle 4, Northern Illinois 1
Texas Tech 2, Eastern Michigan 1
Kentucky 3, Ohio 0
Northwestern 3, Miami 1

Courtesy of MAC Athletic Communications Departments
Buffalo 1, Oakland 0
BUFFALO, NY – The University at Buffalo women's soccer team (3-0-1, 0-0-0 MAC) remains unbeaten on the season thanks to a 57th minute goal by senior forward Katie Roberts. Roberts' goal lifted the Bulls to a 1-0 victory over the Drexel Dragons at UB Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

"I am extremely proud of the girls after their effort out there today," said head coach Shawn Burke. "Drexel really battled us today. It was uncharacteristic for us to face someone with that type of play so we were asked to change our style a bit. I can't stress enough how the whole team effort is getting us these results and from top to bottom I'm proud of the girls and their effort."

Freshman goalkeeper Laura Dougall extended her shutout streak to 380 minutes on Sunday, the longest shutout streak by a freshman to start a career in program history. Dougall finished the game with three saves, all of which were diving saves for the Pickering, Ontario native.

The game-winning goal for the Bulls came in the 57th minute as Roberts took a perfect pass from team captain Courtney Mann and she fired a low shot into the lower left corner of the goal. Roberts' shot was perfectly placed, just out of the reach of junior goalkeeper Kelsie Fye.

Choosing to play with the wind in the second half, the Bulls defense was called upon early and often in the opening half. In the sixth minute, Civanni Moss of the Dragons had a great low strike that Dougall made a great diving stop on. Later on, the UB defense held the Drexel forward out wide but her shot got through to Dougall, who was asked to make another diving stop with her right hand to preserve the 0-0 tie.

With the advantage of the wind in the second half, the Bulls took full advantage as they scored the game-winning goal in the 57th minute following a Megan Giesen header that went just over the cross bar in the 56th minute.

The Dragons had their best chance of the second half in the 87th minute as Megan Hammaker blasted a hard shot from the right of the goal but Dougall was able to lunge to her right and make her third diving save of the contest, preserving her fourth straight clean sheet.

It was a tale of two halves for the Bulls as they finished the opening half with just one shot while the second half they recorded eight attempts. For the game, Buffalo held the slim 9-8 advantage in shots while Drexel had the 7-4 advantage in corners. Jackie Hall, Sophie Therien and Kristin Markiewicz had a strong game in the back end for UB, allowing only three long distance shots on goal.

Fye finished the game for the Dragons with two saves while Hammaker led all players with four shots in the game.

Following the match, Mann was awarded the "Player of the Match" award by the UB coaching staff after a great game defensively to preserve the clean sheet for Dougall.

Toledo 1, Xavier 0
TOLEDO, OH - Redshirt freshman Isa Echeverri scored the lone goal for the Rockets in Sunday's 1-0 win over Xavier to give UT head coach Brad Evans his 200th career win.

"It is exciting," Evans said. "Longevity plays a role but it's good and I am happy I got it with these players and coaches. There have been a lot of players and coaches over the years and I thank them for making this possible."

With the blanking, Toledo has now registered two shutouts in their last three games and improves to 2-1-1 on the season.

"We are trying to establish some cohesiveness and grit in our defense," Evans said. "It is ongoing process and there are some kinks to be worked out but I think we did a good job. The backs did a good job and the forwards stepped up their pressure defensively. That helps our defense too."

Echeverri received a cross from junior midfielder Geri Siudzinski on a free kick and was able to flick it with her head just inside the back post in the 65th minute of play. The Xavier (0-3-0) goalkeeper could not make the stop despite a diving effort as Echeverri was credited with her first goal of the season.

The midfielder from Medellin, Columbia missed the first two games of the season while training with the Columbian National Team for the South America Championships. 

"She hasn't really been able to train with us and it's a big deal for us to get her back even if it is just a few games." Evans said. "She will only get better with time and we are happy to have her."

The Rockets offense was very aggressive and up tempo once again. Despite battling fatigue and the humidity, Toledo held a 15-5 shot advantage and a 4-2 edge in corner kicks.

Between the posts, junior Sam Tiongsong went the distance and made one save on the afternoon to earn her second shutout of the season.

The first half began with each team struggling to get any good offensive chances as the each team's defenses were settled in nicely.

The Rockets were able to keep the ball in the Xavier end for most of the first half and their best chance came late in the period as freshman forward Bethany Thomas's cross to sophomore Chelsea Thompson was corralled by the XU keeper at the last second.

The Musketeers best chance of the game came in early in the second half. Senior Alyssa Tindal found herself in behind the Toledo defense with just the keeper to beat but muffed her shot wide of the net.

The Rockets went into defensive mode in the final ten minutes, controlling the pitch with ease and closing out the one-goal win.

"We knew this was going to be a grind," Evans said. "The players coming off the bench did a good job of getting us lifted. It was a total team effort and that's a great sign for us. It doesn't have to be pretty for us to win and good teams have to win ugly."

The Rockets are in the midst of a three games in a five day stretch and will cap off the non-conference homestand with a match against Ohio State on Tuesday night at 5:00 p.m. at Scott Park.

Kent State 1, Colorado 0
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Freshman Karli Paracca (Valencia, Pa.) scored her second game-winning goal of the weekend when she netted one in the 85th minute to lead the Kent State women's soccer team a 1-0 victory over Colorado on Johann Field this afternoon.  The win improves the Golden Flashes to 3-1-0, and earned the squad a UNLV Nike Invitational title for their 2-0 performance this weekend, while handing Colorado (3-1-0) its first loss of the year.

Paracca was named the UNLV Nike Invitational Most Outstanding Player, while sophomore Jenna Hellstrom (Sudbury, Ontario) earned Outstanding Defender honors and junior Stephanie Senn (Grand Island, N.Y.) received Outstanding Goalkeeper recognition.   Hellstrom, and Senn were also named to the All-Tournament Team.

"I am really proud of the effort and the commitment this weekend," said Head Coach Rob Marinaro.  "Playing in over 100-degree weather and accepting the challenge is something we can continue to build on."

Senn, who earned her third shutout of the season, was tested in the 25th minute when she stopped a shot from Colorado's Tori Cooper.  She picked up her second and final save of the first period just 12 minutes later on another shot by Cooper to keep the Buffaloes off the board.

Colorado edged Kent State 6-5 in shots in the first half, as goalkeeper Kate Scheele did not tally any saves.   The Buffaloes out-shot the Golden Flashes 6-4 in the final period, and Scheele posted three saves.

Senn was busy in the second period, sending away four Colorado shots on goal, including the first coming just two minutes into the half.  Just when it would seem the game would head into an overtime period, Hellstrom broke through the box and fired a shot at Scheele.  Scheele saved the ball from going in, but the ball bounced back into play and to Paracca, who put it past Scheele and into the net.

Kent State was outshot 12-9, but led 5-2 in corner kicks in the 90-minute game.   Senn finished the night with six saves, while Scheele recorded three.

Paracca now leads the Golden Flashes in scoring with four points (2g), and Hellstrom earned her second assist of the season.

Kent State will be back in action at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 7 at Cleveland State.  Then, the following Sunday (Sept. 14), the Golden Flashes will travel for a 1 p.m. game at the University of Louisville.

Central Michigan 0, Detroit 0
DETROIT, Mich. - They responded as coach Peter McGahey had hoped they would.

The Central Michigan women's soccer team played Detroit to a scoreless double-overtime tie Sunday at Titan Field, one week after a 5-1 loss at Southern Illinois.

Sunday's result leaves the Chippewas 0-2-1 heading into Friday's home opener (4 p.m.) against Oakland, 1-3.

"In terms of where we were last week at this time, I think there's a lot of positives to take away from today," McGahey said after Sunday's match. "To be fair we probably created enough chances that we could have come out of here with a win."

Most gratifying, McGahey said, was that not only did the Chippewas bounce back from a loss that could have had long-term adverse lingering effects, but they did it starting eight underclassmen and just one senior.

"I think that we've put the lessons from last week behind us and I think they played with a urgency and a passion," McGahey said. "The game really exposed some of our real strengths."

CMU sophomore goalkeeper Maddy Bunnell made six saves in posting her first collegiate shutout.

"Maddy did a good job today of managing the game, making the saves she needed to make, and her distribution was really good," McGahey said. "It (distribution) could have been game-changing, and at moments, it really was. Really pleased with that.

"First career shutout and I think she really earned it

The Titans, 1-1-1, outshot the Chippewas, 15-11, for the match, including 7-1 in the first half. CMU outshot Detroit, 4-2, after regulation.

"The shot we created in the first half was a real quality chance," McGahey said. "We created a lot of things throughout the entire game that came during the run of the play, which allowed us to play to our strengths.

"We hit the post, we hit the crossbar, and we had two other really good chances in the run of play. And we didn't give away quality chances either."

Laura Gosse was credited with three shots to leach the Chippewas, who held a 13-4 advantage in corner kicks. Marina Manzo made three saves in goal for the Titans.

Ball State 2, Morehead State 2
MUNCIE, Ind. -- The Ball State soccer team was just more than a minute away from its third win of the season before some late heroics from Morehead State resulted in a 2-2 draw Sunday afternoon at the Briner Sports Complex.

Abbey Fiser and Nicole Pembleton scored the goals for Ball State, which led 2-1 until late in the 89th minute when Angela Black scored to send the game to overtime. Both teams had chances in overtime but neither team could find the back of the net.

Ball State's record now stands at 2-1-1 through two weeks of play, while Morehead State is 2-0-2.

"Some of our girls are still young, and we showed a bit of inexperience today," Ball State head coach Craig Roberts said. "We need to be able to close out a game. I felt we played well in spurts, but we just need to be more consistent. We need to make sure we carry out our duties all the way to the final blow of the whistle."

Fiser started the scoring in the 30th minute. Cailey Starck sent a free kick into the box and Gabby Veldman headed it to Fiser, who converted for her second goal of the season. Pembleton staked the Cardinals to a 2-0 lead less than 10 minutes later. Veldman cross the ball to Pembleton along the end line, and she was able to beat Morehead State keeper Elizabeth Floyd to the near post.

The 2-0 lead would not hold, however, as Ball State had problems conceding goals late in both halves. Kimberly Golden scored for Morehead State with just 1:16 left before halftime, collecting the ball and firing it into the left side of the net from 15 yards out.

The second half was scoreless until the 88:45 mark, and it looked like Ball State was going to salt away a 2-1 win. But Morehead State's Jade Flory fired a flipping throw-in all the way to the front of the box, where Black was waiting to knock it home and tie the game.

Brooke Dennis made a couple key saves in overtime to preserve the draw, and freshman Lucy Walton nearly won it for the Cardinals with about six minutes left in the second OT. But Walton's shot from outside the box deflected down off the cross bar and just missed crossing the line.

"We knew they were going to be a physical team," Roberts said. "They're well-coached and experienced, coming off an NCAA tournament appearance last year, so it's not their first rodeo. But we pride ourselves on having skill and playing good possession soccer and not letting another team determine the outcome just because they're a little more physical."

Dennis was a big key for Ball State, finishing the game with eight saves and coming out to grab numerous dangerous crosses from Morehead State.

Sunday marked the last home game for Ball State until Sept. 20. The Cardinals will play just once next week, going on the road to face Valparaiso for a 7:30 p.m. CT (8:30 ET) contest Friday.

Seattle 4, Northern Illinois 1
WAIPAHU, Oahu – Finishing up the Huskies' Hawaiian tour, the Northern Illinois University women's soccer team dropped a 4-1 neutral site decision to Seattle University on Saturday night at the Waipio Peninsula Soccer Stadium.

Facing the defending Western Athletic Conference champions Redhawks, NIU's goal came from junior forward Maggie Renfro and marked the first tally in her Huskie career.

The first half didn't feature many scoring opportunities, but Seattle (2-1) did notch the opening goal when Taylor Ritzman scored for the Redhawks in the 15th minute to give the WAC titleholders the halftime lead.

The second half featured more action as Seattle star senior forward Stephanie Verdoia took over the match. Verdoia scored in 56th minute and again in the 60th minute, giving the Redhawks a commanding 3-0 lead.

"We played a quality team tonight and put ourselves in a hole that we struggled to get out of," NIU head coach John Ross said after the game.

But the Huskies (0-4) continued to attack and were immediately rewarded in the 62nd minute when Renfro scored her first NIU goal with a strike from outside the 18-yard box.

Even though Julia Moravec finished the scoring for Seattle in the 67th minute, Ross said he was pleased with some of his players' performances towards the end of the match.

"Later in the game, we had some players step up and take advantage of their opportunities, so that was nice to see," Ross said.

The Huskies fly home on Sunday and will then begin preparation for their home opener set for Friday, Sept. 5 at 7 p.m. at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex in DeKalb against Nebraska-Omaha, the first of four consecutive home matches for NIU.

Texas Tech 2, Eastern Michigan 1
SOUTH BEND, Ind. – The Eastern Michigan University soccer team took No. 16 Texas Tech University to overtime, but it was the nationally-ranked Red Raiders (3-0-0) who scored in the 93rd minute to claim the 2-1 victory over the Eagles (2-2-0) Sunday, Aug. 31. The neutral site match took place at Alumni Stadium on the campus of the University of Notre Dame as part of the Notre Dame Invitational.

Angela Vultaggio got the Eagles out to an early lead with a goal in the fifth minute, and starting keeper Megan McCabe (2-1-0) made three first half saves to help EMU hold on to a one-goal lead at halftime. However, Texas Tech knotted the match with a goal in the 56th minute, and the Red Raiders found the net just three minutes into overtime to leave South Bend with their national ranking and perfect record intact.

McCabe stopped 5-of-7 shots on goal as the Red Raiders sent 16 total shots her direction throughout the contest. The second half score by TTU was the first goal allowed by the junior keeper all season and snapped a 235-minute shutout streak, an impressive mark to start the 2014 campaign.

For the EMU attack, Bianca Rossi registered a game-high five shots, while seven other Eagles attempted to put a mark on the scoreboard. The Green and White took 12 shots, landing three on goal while having four chances on corner kicks.

Briana Rohmer scored the second half goal that eventually forced overtime, and Paige Strahan tallied the game-winner from six yards out to give Texas Tech the victory in extra time. The Red Raiders out-shot EMU, 16-12, sending seven shots on target. In goal, Lauren Watson (3-0-0) made two saves to pick up the victory.

Eastern wasted no time proving they belonged on the pitch with the nationally-ranked Red Raiders, scoring in the fifth minute to gain the early advantage. Vultaggio made an aggressive move to steal the ball from the approaching keeper after a lead by Megan Trapp. Winning the battle from eight yards out, the Chesterfield, Mich. native sent a strike in the back of the net for her first goal of the season.

The Eagles continued on the offensive as Rossi fired three shots off in a seven-minute span to keep Texas Tech on its heels. Two minutes later, the Red Raiders answered with three-straight shots of their own. Nonetheless, the EMU backline defended well, and McCabe made a save to keep EMU ahead. The Arlington Heights, Ill. native stopped two more shots before the end of the first 45 minutes, and the Green and White looked up at the scoreboard to see a one-goal advantage at the break.

In the first half, Coach Scott Hall's squad attempted nine shots compared to just seven by Texas Tech. The Eagles also took three corner kicks, while TTU had only two opportunities in the corner.

The second half started off choppy with multiple fouls, including a yellow card from Texas Tech's bench. After the aggressive start, Texas Tech found the equalizer as Rohmer finished a rebound from 10 yards out to tie the contest at one goal apiece.

As the game remained at a 1-1 standstill, Texas Tech tried to claim the lead with less than five minutes remaining in regulation. Despite the effort, McCabe was there to make the save. In the waning minutes of the second half, the Eagles had the final chance to score and win the game. Madison Hirsch sent a corner kick into the box, but Molli Krick's shot missed wide as the contest went to extra time with the game tied after 90 minutes.

In overtime, TTU was on the attack right away. One shot was blocked and McCabe saved another through the first 75 seconds of the period. However, one minute later Strahan went on a run, receiving a cross from McCullough to beat McCabe, giving the Red Raiders the win and ending a valiant effort by the Eagles.

Next up for the Green and White is by far the longest road trip of the season. The Eagles will hit the West Coast, soaring 2,373 miles into Oregon for two matchups against Pacific-12 Conference foes. First, EMU will square off against the University of Oregon, Sept. 5, under the lights of Pape Field for a 7 p.m. local first touch. Wrapping up the excursion, Eastern takes on Oregon State University in Corvallis, Ore., Sept. 7 at 1 p.m. PDT.

Kentucky 3, Ohio 0
LEXINGTON, Ky. - The Ohio Women's soccer team fell to the University of Kentucky, 3-0, this afternoon at the Wendell & Vickie Bell Soccer Complex.
"Kentucky is a really good team," second-year head coach Aaron Rodgers said. "They've been to three-straight NCAA tournaments and have finished in the top four of the SEC the last few years. I would imagine that they are a top-25 team in the making again this year. They're very good."

The Wildcats (2-2-0) struck in the 14th minute on a goal by Jade Klump. In the second half, Kentucky kept pressing and would score in the 71st minute and again in the 78th minute to give the Wildcats the 3-0 win.

The best chance for the Bobcats came in the 48th minute when redshirt sophomore Carly Manso fired the ball at the goal, only for it to be tipped by the UK goalkeeper and hit off the post.

"What we need to take away from this is that we are a quality team when we play to our strengths," Rodgers said. "When we did play to our strengths this afternoon, we created some chances. Their goalkeeper made a fantastic save on the shot that Carly [Manso] had and tipped it off the post. That would have made it 1-1 at the time and might have changed the complexion of the game a little bit because it was towards the beginning of the second half."

Manso and junior Leah Sandercock recorded Ohio's two shots.

Senior starting goalkeeper Nicole Amari played all 90 minutes and allowed three goals and recorded 13 saves.

"All-in-all we lost to a very good team," Rodgers said. "But, we're in the process of building to be a top program, not only in the Mid-American Conference, but in the region, and that was a good learning experience for us."

The Bobcats (1-3-0) return to action Friday, Sept. 5, for their home opener against Xavier. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. at Chessa Field.

Northwestern 3, Miami 1
EVANSTON, Ill. – Northwestern scored three-straight goals to dig the Miami soccer team into a hole it could not overcome in a 3-1 loss on Sunday.

The setback is MU's first of the season as it falls to 2-1. It is also the Red and White's first loss since suffering a 2-1 defeat to Akron on Sept. 27, 2014, snapping a 14-match unbeaten streak that saw Miami go 10-0-4.

"I give a lot of credit to Northwestern today," head coach Bobby Kramig said. "They have improved a lot as a program they deserve credit for this win. That said, I think we can take some positives away from today. We knew it was going to be a difficult playing surface and that is why we scheduled this game. We needed exposure to this because we'll play on similar surfaces a couple times during conference play. We struggled controlling the ball, especially in the first half, and we were never able to really get in the flow. We learned important lessons and this is an experience that will help us in the long run."

Northwestern (3-1) drew first blood in the 22nd minute when Addie Steiner scored to put Miami in a 1-0 hole. That goal was the first allowed by the Red and White this season. The score would hold going into halftime as the Wildcats outshot the RedHawks by a 10-0 margin in the first 45 minutes of play.

Steiner would put the Wildcats ahead 2-0 in the 54th minute with her second tally of the evening as Nandi Mehta picked up an assist. NU grew its lead to three goals in the 66th minute as Sami Schrakamp and Michelle Manning combined to set up Kim Jerantowski to make it 3-0.

The RedHawks got on the board thanks to Haley Walter's first goal of the year in the 75th minute, a strike that was created by Kelsey Dinges' corner kick. That goal was MU's first shot of the evening. From there, the RedHawks got some attack going and fired another shot on goal and two more corner kicks, but got no closer the rest of the way.

Northwestern held a 15-2 advantage in shots and posted a 10-7 edge in corner kicks. Danielle Wiseman made her third-straight start and stopped three of the five shots NU placed on goal.

The RedHawks return to action on Sept. 7 when they close out their season-opening four-match road trip at Louisville.

Rate This Article
Thanks for rating this article!
Share This Article  
» Be the first to leave a comment
Comments (0)