SEC Baseball Weekly Honors
March 3, 2014INDIANA SPORTS PAGE
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
Will Maddox • Tennessee
Junior • 2B • Gainesville, Ga.
• Hit .625 over a weekend sweep of Quinnipiac, going 5-for-8 at the plate … Hit a three-run home run, two doubles, scored a team-high five runs and drew a team-best four walks against the Bobcats … Was 1-for-1 with a three-run homer, two runs scored and three walks in the Vols’ 13-2 win over Quinnipiac on Friday.
• Had a pinch-hit double in Tennessee’s 10-inning, 4-3 comeback win on Saturday … Closed the weekend with a 3-for-5 performance with a double and three runs scored as UT completed the sweep and improved to 10-0 with a 9-4 win … Currently hitting .385 for the season with team highs in runs scored (13), slugging percentage (.692) and stolen bases (4).
CO-PITCHERS OF THE WEEK
Ross Mitchell • Mississippi State
Junior • LHP •Smyrna, Tenn.
• Went 1-0 in two appearances, giving up just two hits and holding opponents to a microscopic .091 batting average in seven innings of work. Down 2-1 Feb. 28 against a Michigan State squad which had beaten No. 1 Oregon State in the previous weekend, the All-American southpaw shut down the Spartans with 6.2 innings of shutout relief to keep his team in the game.
• Mitchell finished out the contest as the Bulldogs rallied back to give him his first win of 2014. Pitching on Sunday with less than 48 hours rest, Mitchell entered the game with two outs against Eastern Illinois and the Bulldogs clinging to a 1-0 lead. The visitors had the tying run on third and the go-ahead run on second. On the second pitch, Mitchell forced the EIU hitter to hit a grounder back to him, recording the final out of the inning to get out of the jam.
Brett Graves • Missouri
Junior • RHP • St. Charles, Mo.
• Extended his shutout streak to 15.0 innings while snapping the Tigers’ five-game losing streak with a great performance against UIC. Only allowed one runner to reach second base despite three errors by the Tiger defense in which he pitched. Weekly totals: 1G/1GS, 8.0 IP, 2H, 0R, 1BB, 6Ks.
• Over his last 15.0 innings, he has allowed just five hits, one walk and no runs while striking out 10.
• Put together a streak of 13.2 innings without a walk before walking a batter in the seventh inning of his start against UIC last week.
FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
Keegan Thompson • Auburn
RHP • Cullman, Ala.
• Thompson pitched the first one-hitter for Auburn in 12 years with a 3-0 win over Presbyterian on Saturday … It was the first complete-game, solo one-hitter for Auburn since Colby Paxton one-hit Kentucky on March 17, 2002 … Thompson only allowed three base runners to reach, one via a bloop single and the other coming because of Auburn error.
• Through three starts, Thompson leads Auburn with a 2-0 record, 0.39 ERA, 19 strikeouts and just two walks in 23.0 innings pitched.