Billikens Begin Philly Swing at Saint Joseph's
February 5, 2014INDIANA SPORTS PAGE
ST. LOUIS PRESS
SETTING THE SCENE
No. 13 Saint Louis (20-2, 7-0 Atlantic 10) goes for its school-record 15th win in a row Wednesday night at Saint Joseph’s. Game time from Hagan Arena in Philadelphia is scheduled for 6 p.m. (CT).
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
Wednesday’s game will be televised in the St. Louis market on FOX Sports Midwest Plus, with Scott Graham (play-by-play), John Griffin (color analyst) and Alexa Datt (sidelines) on the call. The game also airs on 101 ESPN in St. Louis. As always, Billiken Hall of Famer Bob Ramsey will provide the play-by-play, while St. Louis American sports editor Earl Austin Jr. handles the analysis. The TV broadcast will also be streamed for free here: http://campusinsiders.com/network/a10/live. The game also airs on the East Coast on the Comcast Network and in New York City and the surrounding area on SNY.
FOLLOWING THE ACTION
• Saint Louis is nationally ranked (No. 13 – AP Top 25) for the fourth week in a row. The Billikens are No. 15 in the USA Today coaches’ poll.
• The Billikens are 20-2 for the first time in school history. SLU’s 7-0 start in league play is its best since the 1958-59 campaign.
• SLU has rattled off 14 victories in a row, tying the school record. It is also the fifth-longest active winning streak in the country.
• Saint Louis is 7-0 in road games this season, which is tied for the best undefeated road record in the nation (Wichita State).
• The Billikens are coming off an 87-81 overtime victory against George Mason last Saturday, which saw senior forward Rob Loe post a career-high 23 points.
• Five Billikens average 8.9 ppg or more. Senior forward Dwayne Evans (14.9 ppg) and senior guard Jordair Jett (12.8 ppg) lead the Billiken offense. Senior forward Rob Loe scores 9.8 ppg, sophomore guard Austin McBroom contributes 9.0 ppg and senior guard Mike McCall Jr. averages 8.9 ppg.
• Senior forward Dwayne Evans is the Billikens’ top rebounder with 6.5 rpg. Junior forward Grandy Glaze scores 4.8 ppg and is second on the squad with 5.8 rpg.
• Saint Louis is one of five schools that feature a trio of 1,000-point scorers. The others are Manhattan, USC Upstate, William & Mary and VCU.
• The Billikens lead the A-10 and are eighth nationally in scoring defense, yielding 59.0 ppg. SLU is first in the A-10 in field goal percentage defense (.390) and second in 3-point field goal percentage defense (.285). Through games of Sunday, Feb. 1, SLU is No. 3 in KenPom.com’s adjusted defensive efficiency.
• The Billikens are one of three programs that have started five seniors this year. Pacific and Mercer are the others as of Wednesday, Jan. 15.
• SLU remains in Philadelphia to face La Salle on Saturday in a 5 p.m. (ET) tip on ESPN2.
SCOUTING SAINT JOSEPH’S
• Saint Joseph’s enters Wednesday’s game 15-6 overall and 5-2 in the Atlantic 10. The Hawks are coming off a 73-68 victory against nationally ranked Massachusetts.
• SJU started the season 4-4 and has gone 11-2 since. The Hawks have won six of their last seven contests.
• All five SJU starters score in double figures, led by Langston Galloway’s 16.7 ppg. Ronald Roberts adds 14.1 ppg, while Halil Kanacevic scored 11.2 ppg and leads the team with 8.7 rpg.
• Saint Joseph’s is the team’s top 3-point shooting team, connecting on 39.5 percent from long range. Galloway, DeAndre Bembry and Papa Ndao all shoot better than 40 percent from beyond the arc.
• Saint Joseph’s head coach Phil Martelli is 353-243 in 19 seasons on Hawk Hill.
• SLU leads the all-time series 7-2. The Bills dropped the first two games of the series but have won the last seven.
• Billiken game notes are available here.