WBB PLAYS AT SAINT JOSEPH'S IN NATIONAL TV GAME
January 24, 2014INDIANA SPORTS PAGE
DAYTON PRESS RELEASE
The University of Dayton women's basketball team (12-4, 5-10 A-10) plays at Saint Joseph's (15-4, 4-2 A-10) in a pivotal Atlantic 10 game this Sunday, Jan. 26 at 6 p.m. ET at Hagan Arena. The game will be nationally-televised on NBC Sports Network with Steve Schlanger (play-by-play) and Brooke Weisbrod (analyst) on the call. The game will also be available via free audio stream on DaytonFlyers.com through the A-10 Digital Network with Shane White on the call.
- Dayton is on a 10-game winning streak, including five-consecutive wins to close out the non-conference portion of its season, and a perfect 5-0 to start A-10 play.
- The Flyers have won 23 consecutive regular season A-10 games, dating back to Feb. 11, 2012, a 57-56 setback to A-10 regular season champ St. Bonaventure.
- Since the 2007-08 season Head Coach Jim Jabir has led the Flyers to a 155-57 record (.731 winning percentage). He needs one more victory to reach 200 wins at Dayton.
- Dayton junior Andrea Hoover needs 44 points to reach the 1,000-point milestone.
- Sophomore Amber Deane was named the Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Player of the Week for games played Jan. 13-19. This marks her fifth career weekly honor; she earned four A-10 Rookie of the Week citations last year.
- Dayton has hit at least one three point shot in 395 consecutive games dating back to Jan. 2, 2001, the longest streak in the Atlantic 10 Conference and one of the top streaks in the nation.
- The Flyers have scored before the 19-minute mark in every game except in two A-10 games this season (George Mason 18:34 and St. Bonaventure 18:17).
- Dayton is undefeated (9-0) when leading at the half this season.
The Hawks have a slight edge in the all-time series over the Flyers, 12-11. Dayton has won six of the last eight meetings, but Saint Joseph's won the last time out, 61-54, in the 2013 Atlantic 10 semifinals. The Hawks went on to win the A-10 tournament title. UD won the A-10 regular season title, going 14-0 during the regular season, including a 73-66 win over SJU just 10 days before meeting up in the A-10 tournament.
SCOUTING SAINT JOSEPH'S
The Hawks are led by senior Erin Shields who averages 15.5 ppg and leads the NCAA in free throw percentage (96.4 % 53-of-55). Sophomore Sarah Fairbanks chips in 14.3 ppg and a team-high 6.4 rpg. Junior Natasha Cloud averages 11.0 ppg and leads the Hawks with 145 assists, which leads the A-10 and is second in NCAA. SJU is 15-4 overall and tied for third in the conference standings at 4-2; the two A-10 losses coming against George Washington and VCU. The Hawks have an RPI of 11 and are receiving votes in the AP Top 25 poll.
UD hosts George Mason Saturday, Feb. 1 at 6 p.m. at UD Arena. The Flyers will celebrate National Girls and Women in Sport Day. In addition, the UD men's team takes on George Washington earlier that day at 12:30 p.m. at UD Arena. Head Coach Jim Jabir will be donating a 32" TV for a raffle for fans who attend both UD basketball games that day. Make sure to bring your basketball ticket stub from the UD vs. GW men's game to the UD vs. George Mason women's game to be eligible to win!