MOUNTAIN WEST PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
December 2, 2013INDIANA SPORTS PAGE
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - Fresno State senior quarterback David Fales has been named
Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week, while Utah State redshirt freshman
linebacker Nick Vigil and San José State sophomore placekicker Austin Lopez earned
MW Defensive and Special Teams honors, respectively. It is the third career MW
weekly accolade for Fales, second for Lopez and first for Vigil.
OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
DAVID FALES, SAN JOSÉ STATE
Senior, Quarterback, Salinas, Calif./Monterey Peninsula College
· Was 37-of-45 passing for a Mountain West-record 547 yards with six
touchdowns and no interceptions as San José State defeated previously-unbeaten No.
22/24 Fresno State 62-52 on Nov. 29.
· The 547 passing yards are the second-most by an FBS quarterback this
season, trailing only Washington State's Connor Halliday (557 vs. Oregon on Oct.
· Fales, who completed his first 13 passes of the game, also added a 1-yard
touchdown run, to account for seven of the eight Spartan TDs.
· Finished with 33 rushing yards to post 580 yards of total offense, which
set a MW senior class single-game record and ranks as the second-highest total in
Conference history. The 580 yards total offense are the fourth-most by an FBS
quarterback this season.
· Responded to four six-point first-half deficits by directing the Spartans
to one-point leads on San José State's succeeding possessions with touchdown drives
of 75 yards (one play); 75 yards (eight plays); 77 yards (seven plays) and 75 yards
· Accounted for 26 of San José State's 36 first downs, a new school record.
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
NICK VIGIL, UTAH STATE
Redshirt Freshman, Linebacker, Plain City, Utah/Fremont HS
· Had a career-high 3.5 sacks and a career-best 4.0 tackles for loss as part
of his seven (four solo) total tackles in Utah State's 35-7 victory over Wyoming.
· His four tackles for loss resulted in a loss of 39 yards.
· The 3.5 sacks ties for the fourth-best single-game total by an FBS
defender this season.
· Also had one quarterback hurry.
· Was part of an Aggie defense that limited the Cowboys to a season-low 190
yards of total offense, including just 28 yards rushing.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
AUSTIN LOPEZ, SAN JOSÉ STATE
Sophomore, Placekicker, Euless, Texas/Trinity HS
· Scored a season-high 14 points in San José State's 62-52 victory over No.
22/24 Fresno State.
· Was 8-of-8 on extra-point attempts, and also successfully converted field
goal attempts from 45 and 37 yards.