PURDUE FOOTBALL: Football Game Notes - at Michigan State
October 15, 2013INDIANA SPORTS PAGE
- Purdue and Michigan State meet for the 64th time in series history.
- Michigan State leads the series 32-28-3 and has won four straight in the series.
- The Boilermakers are coming off a 44-7 loss against Nebraska at Ross-Ade Stadium last week.
- Purdue and Michigan State meet on the gridiron after a two year break.
- Saturday's game is the fifth in-a-row and sixth of the year against a team that has been ranked or received votes this season.
- Nine teams on the Boilermakers' schedule have been ranked or received votes this season.
- Michigan State is coming off a 42-28 win over Indiana in its Homecoming game last week.
- The Boilermakers look to snap a four-game skid.
- Purdue trots out one of the youngest teams in the country as eight underclassmen started on offense last week, including at all six skill positions.
- The Boilermakers had five freshmen start on offense at skill positions last week.
- The game begins at noon EDT on BTN with Eric Collins calling the action. Derek Rackley will color the action while Eric Crouch will join from the sideline.
- Tim Newton will handle the play-by-play on the Purdue Sports Properties radio broadcast with Pete Quinn at his side. Kelly Kitchel will join the crew from the sideline.
HEAD COACH Darrell Hazell
- Purdue head coach Darrell Hazell (Muskingum, 1986) is 1-5 as Purdue's head coach and 0-5 against teams ranked or receiving votes.
- Hazell was named the school's 35th head coach on Dec. 5, 2012, after two seasons as the head coach at Kent State.
- Hazell is 17-15 overall as a head coach, including 16-10 at Kent State.
- Hazell was named the 2012 MAC Coach of the Year after leading Kent State to 11 wins and its first bowl appearance in 40 years.
- Hazell also has served seven years on staff at Ohio State and been an assistant coach at Rutgers, West Virginia, U.S. Military Academy, Western Michigan, Pennsylvania, Oberlin College and Eastern Illinois.
- Mark Dantonio is in his seventh year as the head coach at Michigan State.
- Dantonio has led the Spartans to a school-record six consecutive bowl games.
- Michigan State has 28 conference wins since 2008, the third most in the conference behind Ohio State's 34 and Penn State's 29, though seven Buckeye wins and 23 Nittany Lion wins have been vacated.
- Dantonio is 4-0 against Purdue as a head coach, all while at Michigan State.
- Michigan State is on two-game winning streak.
- The Spartans have not been ranked this season, though they have received votes in the poll every week.
- The Spartans have the nation's top ranked rush defense and total defense.
- Connor Cook has settled in as the team's starting quarterback and has completed 90 of 156 passes for 923 yards and nine touchdowns.
- Jeremy Langford leads the ground attack with 95 carries for 420 yards (4.4 avg) and seven touchdowns. He was named the Big Ten Offensive player of the week on Monday after rushing for 109 yards and scoring four total touchdowns against Indiana.
- Mike Sadler was named the Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week on Monday after punting four times for 237 yards (59.3 avg) with a long of 69. He is also the National Punter of the Week.
Series record: Michigan State leads 32-28-3
Purdue points: 1,108
Michigan State points: 1,434
Series record in West Lafayette: Purdue leads 16-13-3
Series record at Ross-Ade Stadium: Purdue leads 15-13-3
Series record in East Lansing: Michigan State leads 19-12
Series record at Spartan Stadium: Michigan State leads 19-11
Games decided by 3 points or less: Purdue leads 8-4
Games decided by 7 points or less: Purdue leads 14-10
Longest Purdue win streak: 5 (1978-82)
Longest Michigan State win streak: 6 (1985-90)
Current streak: Michigan State has won the last four meetings
Largest Purdue victory: 48-3 in 1988
Largest Michigan State victory: 41-13 in 1969
Last Purdue home victory: 2005
Last Purdue road victory: 2006
Last Michigan State home victory: 2010
Last Michigan State road victory: 2009