BIG 12: Team-By-Team Notes From Saturday's Football Action
September 8, 2013INDIANA SPORTS PAGE
* Through two weeks, Big 12 teams have totaled 81 touchdowns from scrimmage. 43 have been rushes, averaging 11.8 yards per touchdown. 38 have been passes averaging 34.9 yards per touchdown. Overall the 81 touchdowns from scrimmage average 22.7 yards.
* Through two weeks and 18 games, Big 12 offenses are averaging 486.6 yards per game and 6.7 yards per play.
* The Big 12 has 33 scoring drives of 50-plus yards in less than 2 minutes and 14 scoring plays of at least 50 yards.
* Through two weeks of action, five touchdowns have been scored by special teams and defense in addition to a safety.
* After going 6-1 in non-conference games last week, the Big 12 is 65-11 in non-league games since 2011 and 58-6 in the month of September since 2011.
* Big 12 teams opened the season with a total of 69 first-time starters, including six quarterbacks.
* The Big 12 is the only league with 70 percent of its teams ranked or receiving votes in the coaches poll.
* Big 12 teams are averaging 35.6 points while holding opponents to 18.3.
* The Big 12 has scored on 61-of-70 (.87.1%) red zone attempts with 48 touchdowns (68.6 percent).
* In the last two weeks, Big 12 defenses have held non-conference foes to 61 drives of three-or-less plays that have resulted in a punt or turnover.
* Ten players have recorded a 100-yard receiving performance while six have totaled 100-plus rushing yards in the first two weeks of the season.
Baylor (2-0; defeated Buffalo 70-13; vs. Louisiana Monroe Sept. 21)
* Tevin Reese had 61-yard touchdown reception; 16 of his 18 career TD receptions have gone for 40-plus yards and he averages 51.9 yards per career TD reception.
* Kicker Aaron?Jones has made a school-record 125 consecutive PATs.
* Baylor had possession for 599 seconds in 1st half; averaged a point every 10.7 seconds, ran a play every 14.6 seconds.
* Baylor's 70 points broke the school record (set last week at 69) for most in the modern era (4th-most all-time, most since 1929). The 781 yards in total offense is also a school record.
* Baylor has scored in less than a minute on seven of its 17 touchdown drives this season. The Bears have scored in two minutes or less in 16 of 17 TD drives this season.
* Baylor’s 17 touchdowns from scrimmage have averaged 24.2 yards in length.
* Baylor has scored 28 points in a quarter four times this season. Entering the season, the Bears had scored 28 or more points in a quarter seven times in school history.
Iowa State (0-1; idle; vs. Iowa Saturday)
Kansas (1-0; defeated South Dakota 31-14; at Rice Saturday)
* Junior DL Keon Stowers made his interception in the second quarter. It was the first by a KU defensive lineman since Sept. 19, 2009 - a span of 45 games.
* Redshirt freshman Matthew Wyman's 45-yard field goal is the longest by a KU kicker since Jacob Branstetter's 46-yard make at Kansas State on Nov. 7, 2009.
* Kansas held South Dakota to 286 total yards, the first time an opponent gained less than 300 yards since Sept. 25, 2010 against New Mexico State (275 yards).
* Kansas has won 26 of their last 28 non-conference home games dating back to the start of the 2003 season.
Kansas State (1-1; defeated Louisiana Lafayette, 48-27; vs. Massachusetts Saturday)
* Jake Waters’ 250 yards passing in the first half was the most in a half by a K-State quarterback since 2008.
* Running back John Hubert has 2,024 yards rushing, the ninth player in K-State history to reach the 2,000-yard plateau.
* K-State has returned at least one kickoff for a touchdown in nine consecutive seasons, the longest such streak in the nation.
* Twice in the last three seasons K-State has started its home schedule with sellouts.
Oklahoma (2-0, 1-1; defeated West Virginia, 16-7; vs. Tulsa Saturday)
* Oklahoma’s point total (16) was the lowest in a home-field victory since beating Kansas 14-10 on Nov. 18, 1967.
* Oklahoma has back-to-back 300-yard rushing games for the first time since doing so against Texas (321) and Baylor (397) in October 1997.
* After holding West Virginia to just 3-of-13 on third down, OU has held opponents to a combined 5-of-29 in its two games this season.
Oklahoma State (2-0; defeated UT-San Antonio, 56-35; vs. Lamar Saturday)
* Two quarterbacks (Walsh and Clint Chelf) completed passes to 13 different receivers.
* Redshirt freshman Jhajuan Seales and sophomore Brandon Sheperd each had the first touchdown receptions of their career.
* Oklahoma State had 518 yards passing, the second-most in school history and just the third time surpassing the 500-yard mark.
* Oklahoma State has won nine of its last 10 games played inside the state of Texas.
TCU (1-1; defeated Southeastern Louisiana 38-17; at Texas Tech Thursday)
* Josh Doctson’s 27-yard third-quarter scoring reception was his first for TCU. Playing for Wyoming in 2011, he had a touchdown catch against TCU.
* Sophomore Jaden Oberkrom’s five extra points gave him 50 in a row to start his career. His streak is the third-best in school history.
* TCU has won 12 straight home openers and is now 12-1 overall in Amon G. Carter Stadium debuts under coach Gary Patterson.
Texas (1-1; lost at BYU, 40-21; vs. Ole Miss Saturday)
* Defensive back Duke Thomas made the first interception of his career.
* Texas had its 13-game nonconference road win streak snapped. The Longhorns last lost to a non-Big 12 foe away from home in 2000 when Stanford won 27-24.
* Texas has 12 touchdowns this season and five have come on plays of 50 yards or more. Texas had 10 offensive plays of 50 or more yards last season.
* Texas gave up a school-record 550 yards rushing on 72 attempts. UT had just two tackles for loss.
* The start of the game was delayed one hour and 47 minutes because of lightning and heavy rain.
Texas Tech (2-0; defeated Stephen F. Austin 61-13; vs. TCU Thursday)
* Quarterback Davis Webb was one of four freshmen who played and gives Texas Tech a total of 10 freshmen with playing time this season.
* Texas Tech tied a school record with 28 points in the first quarter.
* Texas Tech students set a school record as 14,915 showed up to watch the Red Raiders defeat Stephen F. Austin. The previous record was 12,910 against SMU in the 2010 opener.
* The game was delayed 52 minutes due to lightning. It marked the first weather delay at Jones AT&T Stadium since the Missouri game in 1998.
* Texas Tech wore retro Double T’s with the words “Coach Jess Stiles” in white font above logo, a dedication to the memory of Jess Stiles, former coach and administrator.
West Virginia (1-1, 0-1; lost Oklahoma, 16-7; vs. Georgia State Saturday)
* Smith is the first player with a rushing TD of 75 yards or longer against Oklahoma since Oct. 8, 2005 when Texas’ Jamaal Charles went 80 yards for a score.
* Darwin Cook had a fumble recovery (fourth of his career) plus an interception (fifth of his career).
* Nick O’Toole had four punts inside the Oklahoma 20-yard line.