SEC Football Players Of The Week
September 3, 2012Eastern Indiana Sports
SEC OFFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MARCUS?LATTIMORE (Watch South Carolina Highlights)
6-0 • 218 • Jr. • Duncan, S.C.
• Making his first appearance since a season-ending knee injury last October, Lattimore rushed for a game-high 110 yards on 23 carries and a pair of touchdowns in South Carolina’s 17-13 win at Vanderbilt.
• Lattimore also had a team-high three receptions for 21 yards.
• His 29-yard run in the first quarter gave the Gamecocks a 7-0 lead. His second score, a 1-yard run in the fourth quarter, put Carolina ahead to stay, 17-13.
SEC DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK
DEE MILLINER (Watch Alabama Highlights)
6-1 • 199 • Jr. • Millbrook, Ala.
• Milliner totaled five tackles, four pass deflections and an interception in Alabama’s 41-14 win against #8 Michigan in Arlington, Texas.
• His four pass deflections, all in the first half, were a career-high.
• He returned the interception 35 yards to the Michigan 17 yardline, which set up the Tide’s third score to take a 21-0 lead.
• The Alabama defense forced three interceptions and limited the Wolverines to just 269 yards of total offense.
• For his efforts, Milliner was also named the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week.
SEC SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK
MARCUS?MURPHY (Watch Missouri Highlights)
Tailback / Punt Returner
5-9 • 185 • So. • DeSoto, Texas
• Murphy returned a pair of punts for touchdowns and accumulated 206 all-purpose yards in Missouri’s 62-10 win against Southeastern Louisiana in Columbia.
• Murphy’s TD returns were 70 and 72 yards and became the first Tiger to have two returns for scores in the same game.
• Murphy’s two punt return TDs also ties an NCAA and SEC?record. The last SEC player to accomplish the feat was Kentucky’s Derek Abney in 2002.
• Murphy tallied 180 punt return yards (5 attempts) and 32 rushing yards on five carries in the game.
SEC OFFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
ZACH FULTON (Watch Tennessee Highlights)
6-5 • 324 • Jr. • Homewood, Ill.
• Fulton started his 16th consecutive game at right guard and was a part of an offensive line that led Tennessee to a 35-21 win over N.C. State in Atlanta.
• The Tennessee offense generated 524 total offensive yards, the most since the second game of the 2011 season.
• The Vols also rushed for 191 yards against the Wolfpack, eclipsing the final totals from all but one game from last year.
•?Tennessee allowed just one sack against N.C. State.
SEC Co-DEFENSIVE LINEMAN OF THE WEEK
C.J. JOHNSON (Watch Ole Miss Highlights)
6-3 • 233 • So. • Philadelphia, Miss.
• Johnson notched six tackles and a sack in helping Ole Miss defeat Central Arkansas, 49-27. With Ole Miss up just one score in the fourth quarter, Johnson’s sack ended a UCA drive and provided momentum that resulted in three straight Rebel TD scoring drives.
CHRIS?SMITH (Watch Arkansas Highlights)
6-3 • 251 • Jr. • Mount Ulla, N.C.
• Smith had six tackles, a sack and a quarterback pressure in Arkansas’ 49-24 win against Jacksonville State. His sack came on a fourth-down play, giving possession back to the Hogs.
SEC Co-FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
TODD GURLEY (Watch Georgia Highlights)
Tailback / Kickoff Returner
6-1 • 218 • Tarboro, N.C.
• Gurley accounted for 227 all-purpose yards, including 100 rushing yards and 2 TDs on eight carries and returned a kickoff 100 yards for a TD in Georgia’s 45-23 win against Buffalo. He reached the end zone three times.
T.J. YELDON (Watch Alabama Highlights)
6-2 • 216 • Daphne, Ala.
• Yeldon led the Crimson Tide with 111 yards on 11 carries and a touchdown in Alabama’s 41-14 win against Michigan. He became the first true freshman at Alabama to rush for more than 100 yards in his debut.
OTHER OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCES FROM WEEK 1
OT D.J. FLUKER (Alabama) -- Graded out at 85 percent with three pancake blocks and no sacks allowed against Michigan.
QB TYLER?WILSON?(Arkansas) -- Completed 19-of-27 passes for 367 yards and three touchdowns against Jacksonville State.
PK CODY?PARKEY?(Auburn) -- Connected on all four of his field goal attempts, a career-high, against Clemson.
RB MIKE GILLISLEE (Florida) -- Rushed for 148 yards on 24 carries and two touchdowns against Bowling Green.
OT XAVIER?NIXON?(Florida) -- Had a team-high 93 percent grade, anchoring offensive line that tallied 365 yards of total offense, against Bowling Green.
QB AARON?MURRAY?(Georgia) -- Completed 15-of-26 passes for 258 yards and three touchdowns against Buffalo.
QB MAXWELL?SMITH?(Kentucky) -- Completed 35-of-50 passes for 280 yards and two TDs against Louisville.
RB KENNY HILLIARD?(LSU) -- Rushed for career-high 141 yards and two TDs on 13 carries against North Texas.
RS/WR ODELL?BECKHAM, Jr. (LSU) -- Returned punt 70 yards for a touchdown and tallied 131 all-purpose yards against North Texas.
QB BO?WALLACE?(Ole Miss) -- Set school debut total offense record with 346 yards, including 264 yards and two TDs through the air, against Central Arkansas.
LB MATT?WELLS?(Mississippi State) -- Had four total tackles, a sack, pass deflection and interception against Jackson State.
RB DERRICK?MILTON?(Mississippi State) -- Had eight carries for 65 yards and a touchdown against Jackson State.
TB KENDIAL LAWRENCE (Missouri) -- Rushed for a career-high 121 yards on just 10 carries and had two rushing touchdowns against Southeastern Louisiana.
OG?A.J. CANN (South Carolina) -- Graded out at 87 percent with seven knockdown blocks and five pancake blocks against Vanderbilt.
WR CORDARRELLE PATTERSON?(Tennessee) -- Scored two touchdowns, including a 41-yard reception and a 67-yard run, against N.C. State
WR?JORDAN?MATTHEWS (Vanderbilt) -- Had eight catches for 147 yards and a 78-yard career-long TD score against South Carolina.