INDIANA: Indiana Takes On #20 Northwestern Friday Evening
February 16, 2012INDIANA SPORTS PAGE
IU SPORTS INFORMATION
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The 2011-12 regular season comes to an end Friday night (Feb. 17) for the Indiana Wrestling team (11-7), traveling to #20 Northwestern (10-4) for their final dual before postseason action starts Mar. 3-4 at the Big Ten Championships in West Lafayette, Ind. The Hoosiers and Wildcats hit the mats at 8 p.m. eastern, 7 p.m. local time in Evanston.
Indiana owns a 45-28-4 edge in the all-time series versus Northwestern, including a 13-6 advantage with Head Coach Duane Goldman at the helm. The Wildcats did win the last meeting (Dec. 2010), however, besting IU 28-9 in Bloomington.
Live results of the match can be found here: Live Stats and will be posted on Twitter (@iuwrestling1).
125 lbs - Zach Zimmer, r-Fr. (12-13) vs. #10 Levi Mele, Jr. (25-4)
133 lbs - Joe Duca, r-Fr. (10-17) vs. Jameson Oster, Fr. (11-12)
141 lbs - Matt Ortega, r-Sr. (23-13) vs. Colin Shober, r-Fr. (12-11) or Pat Greco, r-Fr. (10-12)
149 lbs - #18 Taylor Walsh, r-Fr. (24-8) or Geno Capezio, r-Jr. (2-6) vs. Kaleb Friedley (16-9)
157 lbs - Sawyer Morris, r-Fr. (5-15) vs. #2 Jason Welch, r-Jr. (20-0)
165 lbs - Preston Keiffer, r-Fr. (8-9) vs. Pierce Harger, r-Fr. (18-9)
174 lbs - Ryan LeBlanc, r-So. (26-10) vs. #12 Lee Munster, r-Fr. (19-8)
184 lbs - Luke Sheridan, Fr. (15-13) vs. Robert Kellogg, r-Sr. (2-12) or Marcus Shrewsbury, Jr. (3-10)
197 lbs - #3 Matt Powless, r-Sr. (29-3) vs. John Schoen, r-Sr. (12-16)
285 lbs - Adam Chalfant, r-So. (21-8) vs. #13 Mike McMullan, r-Fr. (19-8)
MILESTONE WIN COMING UP FOR POWLESS
Senior Matt Powless' next win will set a pair of milestones: 1)it will be his 30th of the season, marking the third consecutive year with 30 or more wins 2)he will pull even with volunteer coach Brandon Becker and his 119 career wins, earning a share of sixth-place all-time in school history.
• Matt Powless has not lost a match since Jan. 2 at the Southern Scuffle, rattling off nine straight since his last defeat. Seven of those nine W's have come with bonus points as well, including four pins.
• Taylor Walsh has 11 pins on the season, just two shy of cracking the top-10 all-time in school history for falls in a single season
• After a narrow loss to #9 Cashe Quiroga two weeks ago, Indiana's Joe Duca looked like a new man last week down in North Carolina; posting two major decisions and a pin in his last three bouts
• Preston Keiffer, Luke Sheridan and Adam Chalfant joined Duca in going 3-0 last week.
• Heavyweight Adam Chalfant has gotten in a groove as of late, riding an eight-match winning streak into the weekend. That stretch includes a pair of wins over nationally-ranked opponents.
NCAA COACHES PANEL RANKINGS & RPI RELEASED
The NCAA released updated Coaches Panel Rankings and the first RPI Rankings last week; and a half dozen Hoosiers could be found in the top-33 (the amount of wrestlers to advance to the NCAA Championships in each weight class). These rankings are very important, as they are two of three barometers used to determine the number of automatic bids the conferences' receive in each weight class. Here is where the Hoosiers were slotted in the latest rankings:
NCAA COACHES PANEL
#3 Matt Powless, 197 lbs
#20 Taylor Walsh, 149 lbs
#24 Adam Chalfant, 285 lbs
#24 Ryan LeBlanc, 174 lbs
#30 Matt Ortega, 133 lbs
#1 Matt Powless, 197 lbs
#7 Taylor Walsh, 149 lbs
#19 Adam Chalfant, 285 lbs
#24 Ryan LeBlanc, 174 lbs
#28 Luke Sheridan, 184 lbs