Drew Baseball Tryouts
January 5, 2011By Brian Paige of Charles Drew High SchoolMonday Jan.31, 2011 is the First Day of Tryouts.
Our Tryouts Consist Of:
- Outfielders - Any player who thinks he might be an outfielder goes to right field. We hit them fly balls and they throw to 3rd base and then home.We look for ability to judge fly balls, arm strength and accuracy.
- Infielders - Any player who thinks they are a 3B, SS or 2B goes to the shortstop position. We hit them a series of ground balls (at them, right, left and slow rollers) and they throw to first base. We look for ability to field ground balls, athleticism, arm strength and accuracy.
- First Basemen - We do the same for these guys except they are stationed at first base and throw to third base
- Catchers - We put them behind the plate and get a glove to glove stopwatch time on throws to second base. We look for timing and accuracy. We put them behind the plate during the hitting tryouts and pitching tryouts to judge their ability to receive pitches.
- Pitchers - We put these guys in practice for a week all together. We are simply looking for arm motion, especially players who don't "shortarm" the ball. Obviously accuracy and velocity are a factor.
- Hitters - We watch swing mechanics. We don't care if they touch the ball or not. Do their swing mechanics show that they have the ability to be a potential hitter.