October 30, 2013By Timothy Bowdern of CNR Winter Basketball
I want to hit on a few new items. I am sending this at night as during the day we are scheduling as much as possible. We are getting close to fifty percent finished on the first draft. We are still on the timeline given to you in previous e-mails. Here are the important things to inform you this week:
- Once again check and make sure if you have not there are numbers next to your team. As long as they are then you are being scheduled. Some of you have e-mailed us right away which is good. We don't want to miss anyone who sent stuff in we missed.
- We are now ready to "push" our tournament as time is approaching and we now finalized our list of gyms we are using. It's perfect for all teams located in the area. South County - Fox High School, West County - MICDS Fieldhouse, and St. Charles - Ft. Zumwalt South, Ft. Zumwalt West, and Ft. Zumwalt East. All gyms are regulation with no cross-court. I have attached a list of teams now participating as we expect over 100. The cost is super cheap at $125/three games and we can be very flexible as the league has not started. It is a chance to get some pre-season games and get some great competition in a tournament setting. If you find out you are totally off rank based on the tournament we can look at changing some of your games starting in January. Unlike some other tournaments no money is demanded up front and you can pay the first game. If interested, contact Jeremy or I by e-mail and we will add you. As you can see by the teams entered, we have a wide range of competition.
- Many of you are e-mailing me questions with information already answered. Please read previous e-mails on www.cnrbasketball.com as I can't put everything on the weekly update. Many questions you have can be found on previous e-mails.
- Our first coaches meeting is tomorrow night at Lindenwood University at the Hyland Arena. Directions on campus can be found on many signs on Campus. For details look at last week's e-mail on the website. Don't forget to get their by 7:00 p.m. to watch the Lindenwood coaches put on a great clinic for thirty to forty five minutes about youth drills to teach skill development. We will quickly start the rules meeting after the clinic and start by drawing two teams (one boy and one girl) for two free games in the CNR league. We think we can cover everything in forty five minutes from when we start. For people that cant' attend tomorrow night we have one last meeting November 12th at Fox High School.
- We do support and list all teams who play in our league their tournaments throughout the winter. Please check the links on the webpage at www.cnrbasketball.com for more details and contact the person on the flyer directly to sign up.
- There are new additions to the code of conduct this year which deal with performing groups and teams playing with kids on multiple rosters. That is a point of emphasis this year like last year it was with player, coach, officials, and parents conduct. This will be explained at the meeting tomorrow night and also posted on the website tomorrow.
- Rule Proposals: (Simply e-mail me back with the letter and yes or no to the rule change. You don't need to provide me with an explanation. Voting will close Friday, November 8th)
A) Fourth and Fifth Grade (Both Boys and Girls)- The proposed rule change is no press in the first half of the game. You vote YES to implementing a no press in the first half and a NO to keep it the same now which is press to up by 20 points. Many games last year at this age level became basically a cluster to take a half to get the ball past half court which to be honest serves no team well. We never tell teams what defense to play or anything like that as you know your team best. But some coaches want this rule in for younger teams. All teams would be able to press starting in the second half till up by twenty per league rule. This might also cut down on some fifty point beatdowns that sometimes occur. The exception to the rule would be is we have highly ranked teams like two 8/10 playing and one of the teams wants to press the whole game they could e-mail me during the week and I would e-mail the other team and it would be their choice. No direct communication would take place between the two coaches. Only teams that are playing in that division and have turned in a conflict sheet may vote. It is one vote per one team entered.
B) This is for all grade levels - Change the FT rule to regular free throws and eliminate the one for two rule currently in place. The reason we have the rule in place is so more actual play is in effect and not asmuch standing around. That being said, the games won't last longer or be shorter so it's a non-issue for us. Whatever the majority votes is fine with us. A YES vote means the rule goes to regular FT's and no means it stays with the 1 FT for two that is currently on the website rules. One vote per one team registered in the rule.
I will have more information next week. If you have any questions at all let me know and have a great week, Scott.