October 15, 2013By Timothy Bowdern of CNR Winter Basketball
Now that we officially started the scheduling process it's worth mentioning just the important things this week dealing with scheduling:
- Our team updated list grew as I mentioned last week. We are now at about 380 and will have another 75 next week. You can see your division has grown since last week. The key now is to see if your being scheduling If your team has numbers next to it like yes 8 8 that means you turned in a conflict sheet and are ready to schedule. If your team has nothing next to the coaches name that means we don't have it yet and can't schedule you. If you see a mistake like you think your conflict sheet should be listed or you need to be on the team list e-mail me. If you feel you have turned your conflict sheet in but not listed contact me ASAP by e-mail. If you have turned in a sheet but need a change just tell us. We will change it so you don't have to send in another sheet.
- On your conflict sheet we added if you want to play just one weeknight game. We have three schools (Chaminade, Westminister, and MICDS) that sometimes need to play on weeknights. If you already submitted a conflict sheet but can play on one weeknight game please e-mail me and let me know so we can add it. You would not be made to play any weeknight you already are busy.
- I have included both our tournament flyers. We will start a list of teams playing in that late October.
- Locations: These are all finalized locations for games. Some are just for Saturdays and some are just for Sundays and some are both. I am going to do this in another way which will really help you. Some coaches want games in a gym on days we don't use them. It's better to be upfront and tell you exactly when we are using them so everyone knows. Of course, gym dates and times do change for reasons out of our control.
- Here are the Finalized Gyms we are now putting games in and the days we are doing it: Fox (Both), Seckman (Sat), SCW (SU), FZS (Both), FZE (Both), FZN (SU), Mar (SU), Kirkwood (SU), St. John's Ellisville (SU), Lindbergh (SU), Parkway South (SU), Parkway West (SU), FZW (SU), Ladue (SU), Dupo (SU), Valley Park (Both), Parkway Central (SU), Parkway West Middle (Both), Troy (SU), Chaminade (Weeknights), Notre Dame (Both), Hardin Middle (SU), Principia (Sat), Lutheran North (SU), John Burroughs (Both) Westminister (Weeknights and Sat), and MICDS (Weeknights and SU). As you can see we are mostly a Sunday league but we have all areas covered. Remember that all teams travel. I understand some of you are putting you want all games at the requested times at the requested gyms on the requested dates. We can promise you the date but the other ones are adjusted for what is fair to all teams not just yours. I know you understand that but you get the fun of explaining that to your parents. That being said as you know you will get 1/2 if not more of your games in your home area. Also remember that the first spots taken up on many schools are the "host" teams. They get first preference as that is how in some schools we get the gyms. Lastly, we don't have all schools every week. Other organizations use these gyms so don't think we have for example Marquette every week. Facilities vary from school to school when we can use them.
October 7 - November 15th. It takes that long to put 2,500 games at the right places around over 1,000 conflict dates. We do it all on our free time and weekends. As we go along we do contact teams with questions and clarifications to do it right. Multiple teams coached by one coach always makes it much more difficult but that's okay. We want to make it right for all teams and organizations that play in our league.
November 15th - November 25 - The first draft is sent out and all coaches can contact us with any mistakes we made that we will fix. This is not the time to re-organize and change conflicts. It's time to fix the mistakes that we see on the schedule and make it right for the final draft whice every year doesn't seem to stay final.
November 26th - We release the final schedule you can send out to your parents. It will be online. This is still almost two weeks before your first game on Dec. 7th or 8th.
Our deadline for the tourney will be November 13th and the schedule for the tournament will be released on November 19th.
- All rosters must be submitted online at the website www.cnrbasketball.com. All waivers can be brought to the first game.
- New Rules Meetings and changed schedule for those nights: This meeting is not mandatory but recommended. We re-evaluated our rules meetings and decided to go a different route this year. Instead of us standing up there and doing blah, blah, blah for over an hour we are changing it up that will benefit you much more. Our rules meeting will be much shorter like forty-five minutes in duration as far as information goes. Alot of that will go out in a powerpoint by e-mail. We are going to just cover the basics and instead combine it with a clinic put on by college programs that will help you much more than us telling you three seconds is not going to be called much in this league. Many of you have been through this before and don't need to hear it again. Once again I will put together information ahead that will help you instead and give you an agenda on the rules meeting. League rules being put up for voting will be done by e-mail this year. This is not Chicago politics as it's only one vote per team. The first rule meeting is being hosted at beautiful Hyland Arena at Lindenwood University on Wednesday, October 30th from 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. at their basketball arena. We are lucky and happy to have our rules meeting there. Brad Soderberg (Men's Coach at Lindenwood) will be having an open practice at the Hyland Arena from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Everyone is invited to attend that practice if you want. At 7:15 p.m. our rules meeting officially begins. At 7:15 - 8:00 p.m. Coach Soderberg will talk briefly and then the boy's and girl's teams will show development drills all coaches can use for either gender with the teams demonstrating them on the court. We are very lucky they are providing this so I hope everyone shows up to watch this very beneficial clinic. After the clinic and talk by the Lindenwood staff we will then do a drawing for all coaches who are in attendance at 7:15 p.m. The drawing will be for two free games on your upcoming schedule. We will have one winner each for the boy's and girl's divisions. We will then do our rules meeting and this year we are cutting back so we expect to have the meeting done within forty-five minutes when we start. The meeting in the South region will be November 13th at Fox High School. That meeting will include a clinic by Bob Sunvold, head Boy's coach at UMSL. We still need to work out the hours and how we are going to do that. I will have specifics in the next update but the format will be the same. As you can see we are very lucky to have such esteemed college coaches running free clinics that will benefit who matters most - your teams. We will also have the same raffle with the same prizes after the clinic at Fox.
- Rules: Rules are posted on the website. We will submit the proposed rules changes during the week of October 28th and allow results to be done by e-mail.
- Website: We did purchase a new website but are not ready to launch it until probably when the season starts. There are way too many variables and the site is expensive so we need to do this right. Once we do we will do mainly a new type of communication through that instead of this e-mail system. Also, we are using twitter and facebook this year for announcements so please feel free to go to www.cnrbasketball.com and sign up for those aspects of social media before the season starts.
Thanks for reading this. If you have not signed up yet please send us your conflict sheet. Sending us three e-mails with different requests won't help as we dont' save those. We just need your sheet to schedule. Thanks for reading and as always for playing in the league. Thanks, Scott.