September 26, 2013By Timothy Bowdern of CNR Winter Basketball
Some new information for this week with updated lists:
- Our team updated list grew as I mentioned last week. We over 240 and will be over 300 easy next week. We still have many teams coming in. If your team has numbers next to it like yes 8 8 that means you turned in a conflict sheet and are ready to schedule. If your team has nothing next to the coaches name that means we don't have it yet and can't schedule you. If you see a mistake like you think your conflict sheet should be listed or you need to be on the team list e-mail me.
- I have included both our tournament flyers. We will start a list of teams playing in that late October.
- Locations: These are all finalized locations for games. Some are just for Saturdays and some are just for Sundays and some are both. Finalized Gyms - Fox (Both), Seckman (Sat), SCW (SU), FZS (Both), FZE (Both), FZN (SU), Mar (SU), Kirkwood (SU), St. John's Ellisville (SU), Lindbergh (SU), Parkway South (SU), FZW (SU), Ladue (SU), Dupo (SU), Valley Park (Both), Parkway Central (SU), Parkway West Middle (Both). Schools that are tenative for games right now are John Burroughs, Chaminade, Notre Dame, Westminister, MICDS, Troy, and Webster Groves. We should be finalizing those in the next two weeks. As you can see we are mostly a Sunday league but we have all areas covered. Remember that all teams travel. I understand some of you are putting you want all games at the requested times at the requested gyms on the requested dates. We can promise you the date but the other ones are adjusted for what is fair to all teams not just yours. I know you understand that but you get the fun of explaining that to your parents. That being said as you know you will get 1/2 if not more of your games in your home area.
- Scheduling Timeline:
October 7 - November 15th. It takes that long to put 2,500 games at the right places around over 1,000 conflict dates. We do it all on our free time and weekends. As we go along we do contact teams with questions and clarifications to do it right. Multiple teams coached by one coach always makes it much more difficult but that's okay. We want to make it right for all teams and organizations that play in our league.
November 15th - November 25 - The first draft is sent out and all coaches can contact us with any mistakes we made that we will fix. This is not the time to re-organize and change conflicts. It's time to fix the mistaks that we see on the schedule and make it right for the final draft whice every year doesn't seem to stay final.
November 26th - We release the final schedule you can send out to your parents. It will be online. This is still almost two weeks before your first game on Dec. 7th or 8th.
Our deadline for the tourney will be November 13th and the schedule for the tournament will be released on November 19th.
- If anyone has assistant coaches they want on the master e-mail list please let me know. I need you to e-mail that to me as I won't catch it on the conflict sheet.
- All rosters must be submitted online at the website www.cnrbasketball.com. All waivers can be brought to the first game. I will address payment next week as right now don't worry about sending any money in.
- New Rules Meetings: This meeting is not mandatory but recommended. We re-evaluated our rules meetings and decided to go a different route this year. Instead of us standing up there and doing blah, blah, blah for over an hour we are changing it up that will benefit you much more. Our rules meeting will be much shorter like 1/2 in duration as far as information goes. Alot of that will go out in a powerpoint by e-mail. We are going to just cover the basics and instead combine it with a clinic put on by college programs that will help you much more than us telling you three seconds is not going to be called much in this league. Many of you have been through this before and don't need to hear it again. Once again I will put together information ahead that will help you instead and give you an agenda on the rules meeting. League rules being put up for voting will be done by e-mail this year. This is not Chicago politics as it's only one vote per team. The first rule meeting is being hosted one of our next partners which is Lindenwood University on Wednesday, October 30th from 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. at their basketball arena. We are lucky and happy to have our rules meeting there. The meeting will start by an introduction by Lindenwood personnel and then we will go over the rules aspect and answer any questions. The night will end with an on court clinic demonstration by the Girls' Basketball Program led by Tony Francis. I asked that the clinic be "Fundamental Drills for Boys and Girls all ages and levels can use". That is what it will be over so it will be worth your while to stay and watch. It will be only thirty minutes in length. For all coaches that stay for the clinic there will be two raffles at the end. One winner will be for boys and one for girls. The prize will be two free games for their teams we will schedule in addition to your schedule. That way the prize benefits who deserves it the most - the players and teams. The meeting in the South region will be November 12th at Fox High School from 7:00 - 8:30 p.m. We will let you know next week who will be conducting that clinic the same way. We feel this will be much more efficient for your teams than myself and others talking non-stop for two hours about stuff that can be covered by a powerpoint.
- Rules: Rules are posted on the website. I will be listing next week some rules that can be voted on by e-mail from October 1-7.
I have more but will stop now and wait till next week. Thanks for reading and as always for playing in the league. Thanks, Scott.