September 20, 2013By Timothy Bowdern of CNR Winter Basketball
Alot of information so here we go:
- I have attached a list of 183 current teams ready to go. That doesn't mean they are all ready to schedule. You will see a list of teams. Next week we will add the details like if you want to play on Sat, up/down a division and if we have your confirmation sheet in. Once they do we start scheduling them three weeks from today. If you see any mistakes on your sheet we will fix it immediately. Teams must have a conflict sheet in in order to be scheduled. This list will keep growning and growing. Please don't e-mail us right now worried about if a division is going to take or not or who is in it. All that comes up for discussion in October. Right now it's about adding teams and creating the list
- We also will be showing you our pre and post season tournament list of teams in early October. That will also be displayed on the website.
- Rules: 2013-14 rules for the league are now posted on the website. Some rules may change before the season if the coaches vote on them. For instance, we will be sending out a proposed rule change on 4th and 5th grade girls and 4th grade boys press rules and all teams pressing from 1/2 court up by 30 or more. Don't worry about the specifics right now as it's a proposed rule change that will be voted by the whole league and other rules by specific divisions. Those will be sent out as we get closer to our pre-season league meeting.
- Pre-season League Meetings: Once again there will be one in St. Charles and one at Fox. We are doing it completely different this year and trying to shorten it a bit and also incorporating a mini clinic for people who want to stay. This clinic will be done by current college coaches, not us. I am directly telling those clinic coaches who are conducting the clinics I want it to be drills all teams can use in their practices. It's not one on like for example the match up zone. It will be something that all coaches for both genders and levels can use. I will give you the exact details next week on where, when, and who will be conducting the clinics. We are creating an attendance prize of a raffle that will give away two prizes of two free games in our winter league for those who stay for the clinic.
- Code of Conduct: On our site is the league conduct policy we started last year. It was needed and worked. Alison Todd and Monica Tritz are the two league officials who investigate all matters and make decisions on a case to case basis. Last year we did have to suspend players, coaches, and parents from attending games. We also suspended and removed officials who didn't follow the conduct also. We tell our officials this league is a two way street. All decisions are final. Please make sure you read the policy and e-mail me any questions you may have. One thing we are adding is the bench conduct policy. Assistant coaches who break the bench policy will be warned the first time and the next time not allowed to sit on the bench for the next time. If it happens after that, they will be removed from the bench the rest of the year. We will be adding that to our policy online this month.
- A and B Games: This year we going one step further in trying to "police" the situation where A kids play down in B games. It is not easy. Obviously, the easy thing is to say one player per roster. But that is not fair to organizations and players who are playing on a feeder team and an organizational team. Also, some teams are playing in mixed divisions and one coach for two teams and they need to mix their players. The purpose of this league is to promote basketball and be an avenue to provide games not stifle development and limit participation. But we also agree watching a player put up 20 in a A game and then dominate in a B game is not right either. So the policy we are using is this: A player can play on mulitple rosters. They may be one an A feeder team and B organizational team as that is the level within that program as it's for the coaches to decide not us. A player may be listed on more than one roster within an organization as some teams play teams up or down by ranking. But what we are stopping is the dominant A player playing down against obvious lower competition. A coach knows their best one or two kids. Heck, everyone in the gym knows. Those players should and will not be allowed to play on a lower team in that program. If that happens a site supervisor or official or other coach will contact Alison or Monica and they will investigate. If they decide that player should no longer be playing down they will notify the coach. If it would happen again with that player, it will be a forfeit for that game. If it continues the team may be removed from the league and we will gladly pro rate and give that team back the money they have owed to them. I know it's not a perfect solution but it's something we are willing to try. It's not fair to the B teams that practice all week to have a player play in a game that has no business playing. To be honest it doesn't happen often as almost all coaches follow policy and dont' do this. Lastly, the e-mail to us saying we were short and had to use that player won't work. Games are a week apart. That is way enough time to make sure the right players are playing the right game. If you don't have enough then let us know and we will find another B team to play that game so the competition is fair. We don't anticipate this being an issue with B players playing C games so let's hope we don't have to deal with that.
- Registration: You can register online by following the easy four steps. Remember, all rosters must be submitted online for every team as that goes straight to Alison and Monica. Waiver forms are turned in to supervisors at your first game. Checks can be sent to Mike Reinhardt. Don't send your conflicts to Mike. It only goes by e-mail to Jeremy or I.
That should do it. I promise next week I will have dates and time for the pre-season meetings and additional information. Once again, e-mail us if we need to add or change anything about your team/teams on the team list. We start scheduling on October 7th. I will give you a time outline of how we do schedules next week. Thanks for reading and have a great week, Scott.