Winter 2013 Registration and Information
August 19, 2013By Timothy Bowdern of CNR Winter Basketball
Okay, here is the e-mail many of you have been contacting us about. We took a month off from break from the summer league and have had some meetings about making necessary adjustments from last year. To be honest we are still meeting about some issues and making some decisions but want to get out our information many of you want to get "the ball rolling". I will try and do this in sequence and starting this week do a weekly update so some information I am holding back for future updates but will get out the information hopefully you most want in this one. So here is goes:
- I realize for many of you from eighth grade last year you may no longer want these e-mails. Just e-mail me back and tell me to take you off the list and I immediately will. If you want me to add anyone you feel that would like to be on future e-mails you can do that also. I don't to send you weekly updates to people who don't need or want them anymore.
- We don't do a fall league. We have enough going on with going back to school, coaching fall sports and to be honest it takes a few months to get this league going right and covering "all the bases". We do a summer league and like the break. Two current leagues starting in September is the the Rockets fall league and C-4 fall league. The contact numbers are Matt Rocketmann at 314-445-8134 and Dave Sweet for C-4 at 314-974-4034. The flyers for their leagues are up on our website along with other upcoming tournaments. Please check our website at www.cnrbasketball.com for future information, our league, and all tournaments.
- As far as our league goes I am not sure if you know this or not but we pretty much follow the weeks that high school ball does. This year everything was moved back a week starting in August so we need to also. The league won't start till the weekend of 12/7 and 12/8. It will be over on Feb. 22nd and Feb. 23rd. There will be no games on Dec. 28th and Dec. 29th. On 2/2 (Super Bowl) the last game will start at 3:00 p.m. Once again we are offering Saturday games also. To be honest we had a much bigger demand than we originally thought and are trying to get more space for Saturdays. Most teams still prefer to play on Sunday. I have attached an information sheet you can read for more information. I can start listing locations next week we have as it's already pretty much set.
- We eliminated a registration sheet as it caused confusion last year. Your "ticket" to the league is the attached conflict sheet. Once you send us that then we schedule you. You can send a check for your team to Mike Reinhardt. I will have more information on payment in a future update as right now we could care less about that. Our focus the next two months is getting your conflicts so we can schedule you right. Scheduling will start October 1st. I can not emphasize enough that if you have multiple teams or want a majority of your games in "your backyard" you need to have that sheet in. Even if you don't have your team picked you can still put in conflicts and we can always adjust something later if needed. Last year we had some teams complain about their schedule. Pretty much every one of those teams came in the league a month later than we started scheduling as spaces were already given out. We don't save space or locations for anyone. If you want a preferable schedule please get the attached conflict sheet back to us on October 1st or very close to it. We can not emphasize that enough.
- We are going to a new website for coaches. It's an upgrade and expensive but needed. It will not be fully functional the way we want it till probably next year but we will be using it this year for some functions like team registration, information and scheduling. We were going to go to it for all functions but that would require all teams to register individually and many teams told us they don't want that. It would also have cost each individual a charge to register raising the team total price another 30 to 40 dollars so we decided that was too much right now. If a team wants to register this year with a credit card they will be able to. You will be responsible for the convience fee but some teams wanted that option from last year. As soon as we get the website up we will let you know.
- One of our biggest challenges every year is the week before Thanksgiving. We always had some teams read the conflict sheet wrong and tell us they could play and then after we schedule then tell us they can't before Thanksgiving and it really affected December scheduling. We are fixing that by just doing our first CNR pre-season tournament. We are lowering the cost to a very low $125 for at least three games in the same full length CNR gyms we use throughout the season. There will be a gate as the $125 barely covers the cost of the gyms and officials but this way it works two ways. We eliminate teams that get confused about that weekend. Your either in or not. Also, more importantly it will give some teams a chance to get some games in before the league starts. Many teams at that point are ready to start scrimmaging but not ready for league play. It's a chance to see where you are at. For example, you put a ranking of 5 down and play three teams with a ranking of 7 and win them all. We then will revisit your schedule and starting in January look to make your schedule more compeititive. Same thing applies if you get waxed and lose to three teams with a lower ranking. That way it helps us all to see if you are in the right spot. The flyer is attached. No money is needed at this point. All you would need to do is let Jeremy or I know by e-mail if you want to play. We will have our end of the season tournament also on March 1 and 2. You might want to mark that down. We will have more information as we get closer to the season.
- Lastly, I have attached last year's teams that played in the league. We have alot of new e-mails of coaches looking to possibly enter the league this winter. I would rather just share the list than explain it. The list may be from an earlier time and some teams many not be listed. But it does show team, coach, ranking and if they can play on Saturdays. We will do the same this winter and put it on the website. We are expecting almost 500 teams this winter but still treat every team like they are in a league of ten. We answer every e-mail that comes are way within 24 hours and answer any quesitons you may have.
I have alot more but will stop here and add some stuff for next week. Remember all you have to do is send your conflict sheet in and you are set. If you want to e-mail and tell us your "in" but you need time for the conflict sheet we will start the list and put you on there. We just can't schedule you till we get your conflict sheet but we can add you to the team list as all coaches always want to know who else is playing in the league. If you are a leader of an organization or coach with multiple teams you might want to call us or just give us a longer e-mail explaining your thoughts on what you want to schedule this year and how many coaches you have for your teams. I will be back next week with another e-mail. Thanks again for thinking of playing with us and have a great week. Scott.