Student athletes who wish to participate in practices or competitions at Cleveland must meet certain requirements related to their physical health. They will need to provide the school with a completed copy of one of the following forms:
Physical Clearance Form (PDF)
Students for whom a physical is required (see below), must provide this form to the school's AD before participating in athletic programs.
Update Clearance Form (PDF)
Students who are not required to obtain a physical, must complete and provide this form to the school's AD before participating in athletic programs.
Who Must Obtain a Physical Exam and How Often?
- Every student athlete must have a physical exam every two years to participate.
- This requirement applies to:
- Any incoming freshman athlete. [Exams performed after Spring Break during their 8th-grade year will be valid for two years.]
- Anyone whose Physical Clearance Form on file with Cleveland's Athletic Department is no longer valid (i.e., it is more than two years old or will be more than two years old by the time the student athlete expects to participate).
- Anyone who has a valid Physical Clearance Form [form available above] on file with Cleveland's Athletic Department who has been diagnosed with a significant illness, sustained a significant injury or had major surgery. [He/she will not be allowed to participate until a medical provider confirms by letter that the athlete may once again safely participate. For more information, review the Student Guide for Athletes.]
Who May Perform a Physical Exam?
The physical exam must be performed by a physician possessing an unrestricted license to practice medicine, a licensed physician assistant, a certified nurse practitioner, or a licensed chiropractic physician, each of whom should have clinical training and experience in detecting cardiopulmonary disease and/or defects.
Are There Other Medical Provider Resources for Physicals?
- DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR: Cleveland School-Based Health Center
- Sports physicals are free and by-appointment only. If you have medical insurance, you will need to bring that information with you so they can bill your insurance company.
- Call for an appointment: (503) 988-4892
- Office location: 3400 SE 26th Avenue, Portland (Check in at the main office)
- Office Hours: Every day except Wednesday - 7:45 AM - 3:45 PM; Wednesdays - 9:45 AM - 5:45 PM
- DURING THE SUMMER: School-Based Health Centers, including Cleveland's:
- Cleveland's School-Based Health Center (Room 163) will be open for physicals until Thursday, June 19, 2014. It will reopen on Monday, August 18, 2014. Call for an appointment: (503) 988-3350
- From June 23 to August 15, 2014, Parkrose's SBHC will be open. Download and view/print the flier.
What are the Medical Provider's Responsibilities?
The medical provider must:
- verify the ability of the student athlete to participate in sports
- complete a Physical Clearance Form [blank form available above]
What are the Student Athlete's Responsibilities?
Athletes must give the completed Physical Clearance Form to Cleveland's Athletic Director for processing and clearance before the athlete may participate in tryouts or competitions (matches, meets, games, etc.) related to the desired extracurricular sport.