Student athletes who wish to participate in practices or competitions at Cleveland must meet certain requirements related to their physical health.
Who Must Obtain a Physical Exam and How Often?
- Every student athlete must have a physical exam every two years before they can participates.
- This requirement applies to:
- any incoming freshman athlete. [Exams performed after Spring Break during their 8th-grade year will be valid for two years.]
- anyone whose physical clearance form on file with Cleveland's Athletic Department is no longer valid (i.e., it is more than two years old or will be more than two years old by the time the student athlete expects to participate).
- anyone who has a valid Physical Clearance Form on file with Cleveland's Athletic Department who has been diagnosed with a significant illness, sustained a significant injury or had major surgery. [He/she will not be allowed to participate until a medical provider confirms by letter that the athlete may once again safely participate. For more information, review the Student Guide for Athletes.]
Who May Perform a Physical Exam?
The physical exam must be performed by a physician possessing an unrestricted license to practice medicine, a licensed physician assistant, a certified nurse practitioner, or a licensed chiropractic physician, each of whom should have clinical training and experience in detecting cardiopulmonary disease and/or defects.
Are There Other Medical Provider Resources for Physicals?
- Cleveland's Team Physician Elena Schmidt, DC, CCSP®
- Call for an appointment: (503) 228-5000
- Office location: Equilibrium, 1706 NW Glisan Street, Ste. 5, Portland
- Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 10:00 A.M. - 6:00 P.M.
- Cleveland School-Based Health Center (during the school year):
- Sports physicals are free and by-appointment only. If you have medical insurance, you will need to bring that information with you so they can bill your insurance company. (Additional Information)
- Call for an appointment: (503) 988-4892
- Office location: 3400 SE 26th Avenue, Portland (Check in at the main office)
- Office Hours: Every day except Wednesday - 7:45 AM - 3:45 PM; Wednesdays - 9:45 AM - 5:45 PM
What are the Medical Provider's Responsibilities?
The medical provider must:
What are the Student Athlete's Responsibilities?
Athletes must give the completed Physical Clearance Form to Cleveland's Athletic Director for processing and clearance before the athlete may participate in tryouts or competitions (matches, meets, games, etc.) related to the desired extracurricular sport.